Can I lose 80 pounds in a year?

Options
I started out a couple of weeks ago at 204 pounds. I am currently at 199, which makes me feel terrific! I know the first few pounds are the easiest to lose and would love to lose another five by the end of April, but I'm working hard to do this "right" and not through starvation or other destructive means. My goal, ultimately, is to get to 125 pounds. I think that's a reasonable goal for me, at 5' 2" and 53 years of age.

I would love to get down to my goal weight by next April, so that I can celebrate with a nice new outfit for Pascha--and look good in it for the first time in years! Am I being reasonable with this goal? Is 125 too high or too low, do you think? I weighed 110 pounds when I was on the swim team in high school and I don't think I could get to that again?

Replies

• kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any calculations based on your numbers but seems very reasonable to me and I do think you can do it in one year. Thats roughly 1.5lbs/week. You may lose less some weeks but you may lose more some weeks. If your dedicated and want to make it happen I'm sure you can do it!! Sounds like you are well on your way already.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    To lose 80 pounds in one year, you'd have to average at just over 1.5 pounds per week. That kind of weight loss is doable in the beginning, but it will definitely slow down the closer you get to your goal. But overall, you'd at least get close if you made changes that you can stick to long term.

Good luck!! :]
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I"m 5'0" and have a goal of 120, so I think 125 is totally attainable for your height. Also at the beginning you lose faster -but you will definitely slow closer to goal. I think with hard work and dedication you can do it.

Log every bite
    Exercise (or just increase your daily movement at the beginning) - go for a walk, or bike ride, or something - anything to get started.

And lastly

IF you mess up once in a while - and you will - pick yourself up and move on - don't dwell on it or give up!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    That's about my goal and about my timeline - I'm currently on track, but I know that weight loss slows down when you get closer to your goal, so I may not make it. But, that's ok with me. Set the goal, and celebrate along the way - you don't need to hit the goal weight to have a fabulous new outfit. Check out the thrift stores and clearance racks to find sweet new clothes that flatter you along the way. And, if you don't hit your goal, remember - Even if you'd just lose 50 or 60 lbs, you'd still look fabulous next year :)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, folks! I go to talk to a doctor on Wednesday, attempting to determine if I've developed Type II diabetes or not. I wanted to be able to present him with a printout of my blood glucose readings from the beginning of the month and an idea of my goals for the next year, so I was hoping the goals would be reasonable.

I'm definitely giving myself rewards along the way. When I lose ten pounds I'm getting myself sushi for dinner (a rare treat for me) and I'm buying a riding helmet so that I can start taking horseback riding lessons in May or June. I'll probably buy myself a new outfit for dog shows (I show Toy Fox Terriers) when I hit 20 pounds, even if it is from a thrift shop.

Oh and believe me, I understand what everyone means about letting myself fail every now and again. I overate terribly yesterday for Pascha. I weighed myself this morning to see how much damage I'd done--not a bit--and I was significantly over in calories, fats, and sodium. I won't make it often, but I think having an occasional cheat day will probably make things a bit easier to succeed this time.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Similar goal and time frame, it is doable with eating right and some exercise. If you stop eating healthy then no.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to lose 80 in a year, because as someone else noted, the weight loss does slow down as you get closer to goal weight, but you can definitely put yourself into a healthier range.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's about my goal and about my timeline - I'm currently on track, but I know that weight loss slows down when you get closer to your goal, so I may not make it. But, that's ok with me. Set the goal, and celebrate along the way - you don't need to hit the goal weight to have a fabulous new outfit. Check out the thrift stores and clearance racks to find sweet new clothes that flatter you along the way. And, if you don't hit your goal, remember - Even if you'd just lose 50 or 60 lbs, you'd still look fabulous next year :)

You already look incredible.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would be a little more reasonable and schedule two or three years if I were you. That's almost half your body weight, and being a small woman you are not going to tolerate a huge deficit well. I'm a large male and it took me 2.5 years to lose 100lbs, in comparison. It's not a linear process, there will be lots of ups and downs. It gets much harder and slower to make progress as you get closer to your goal too. It took me a year to lose the last 20lbs.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I would be a little more reasonable and schedule two or three years if I were you. That's almost half your body weight, and being a small woman you are not going to tolerate a huge deficit well. I'm a large male and it took me 2.5 years to lose 100lbs, in comparison. It's not a linear process, there will be lots of ups and downs. It gets much harder and slower to make progress as you get closer to your goal too. It took me a year to lose the last 20lbs.

I really like you, Dopeitup--you didn't mention my age at all! :D

I do keep hearing that weight loss will slow at the end and that's a good/important thing for me to hear. I'm hoping that I can come close, though! And hey . . . taking longer to lose just gives me an excuse to buy two fabulous Pascha outfits, one year apart! LOL
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's definitely doable and also a goal that I share. With the help of my new job, I've lost 14 lbs without working out in three months.
    If you'd like you can add me and we can motivate one another.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Would losing less really suck? I'd set a smaller goal than 1 year. How about a month instead? For example 5lbs by Mother's Day. 8 lbs by the Fourth of July, 8 more pounds by the start of fall...etc.....? It won't seem so huge a task with smaller victories :smile:
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if you can, but like everyone else said even if you lose 50 or 60, you'lll still be much healthier! My story to add some perspective. Mid July last year, I set myself a goal of 100lbs in one year. I'm now more then 9 months into that one year and i've lost 80some lbs. Moving more, eating healthier, lots of water, never hungry. I started weighing 275lbs. Good luck, push hard towards your goals! :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I really like you, Dopeitup--you didn't mention my age at all! :D

I do keep hearing that weight loss will slow at the end and that's a good/important thing for me to hear. I'm hoping that I can come close, though! And hey . . . taking longer to lose just gives me an excuse to buy two fabulous Pascha outfits, one year apart! LOL

That is exactly the attitude to have. You will make significant progress your first year, no doubt. That will push you the rest of the way - "Hey I already lost 50lbs, no turning back now!"

Best of luck.
  • I lost 70 lbs in a year in 2011. I am 5'1" and started at 197. It is definitely doable, but takes commitment to diet as well as exercise. I've had a couple of bad years since then (health issues, family issues, job loss) and gained 33 lbs back. I have 25 lbs to go to get back to my goal weight of 130 lbs. Oh...I'm also 55 years old now (will be 56 in July). You need to be confident in your resolve, and like Nike says....Just Do It! Best of luck! You can do this!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Would losing less really suck? I'd set a smaller goal than 1 year. How about a month instead? For example 5lbs by Mother's Day. 8 lbs by the Fourth of July, 8 more pounds by the start of fall...etc.....? It won't seem so huge a task with smaller victories :smile:
    I lost 70 lbs in a year in 2011. I am 5'1" and started at 197. It is definitely doable, but takes commitment to diet as well as exercise. I've had a couple of bad years since then (health issues, family issues, job loss) and gained 33 lbs back. I have 25 lbs to go to get back to my goal weight of 130 lbs. Oh...I'm also 55 years old now (will be 56 in July). You need to be confident in your resolve, and like Nike says....Just Do It! Best of luck! You can do this!

Nope it wouldn't suck at all, as long as I can get enough weight off to make a difference in my health and as long as I can manage to keep what I lose off. I really do want to lose as close to 80 as I can by next year as possible, but I'm losing weight in an attempt to deal with Type II diabetes, so it needs to be a lifestyle change and not a diet. Smaller goals are absolutely fine and doable and I do plan to set smaller ones, but I was looking to figure out if losing 80 pounds in a year was unrealistic. From what I'm seeing, it's doable, but I need to be realistic about losing steam near the end. The better thing might be for me to plan for losing 50 pounds by next Pascha--a nice significant number that would put me at a weight I haven't seen for a while--and then take the rest as it comes.

Right now I'm somewhat active. I take care of a herd of goats twice a week and that will be increasing to four days a week soon as we start milking more of them. However, as soon as I earn enough money, I plan to go back to graduate school to finish my last couple of semesters--that means no more goats in the morning and a more sedentary lifestyle. HOWEVER, I might have more time to walk my own dogs and return to doing agility with them . . . and I do hope to start taking riding lessons as a reward for losing 20 or 25 pounds. I can always try to find some activity in my life and I'm never bored. We'll just have to see what happens.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    20% will make a difference to your looks and health
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    20% will make a difference to your looks and health

20% of . . . ?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    No. I'm sorry. It's the first 10% of body weight. So, 200 to 180.
  • JonathanJ1996
    JonathanJ1996 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 6"0, I was 214,6lbs of fat, I lost around 40 pounds with very little exercise in around 4 months and I feel alot better, stronger and feel alot more energy so I'm sure that 80lbs in a year is possible. Also i'm 175lbs and losing weight just as fast as I did when I was in my first month its all about the caloric deficit, calories in and calories out whether it happens from less food or exercise it doesn't matter when you re just trying to look and fell better