Whats the problem with deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Chances are, it is a noise issue. It's not that you are dropping the weights, just that deadlifts cause more noise than most lifts just because of the nature. There are a lot of gym goers who complain about this and someone feel intimidated. Really, it's them, not you.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    I have spent a total of about $1,500 on my home gym setup and it's better than most gyms. I also have a lot more weight than you'll ever need so I'm sure that you can do it for even cheaper than that. I also have a lot of strongman implements which tend to be a bit expensive, even if you make them yourself. it just takes a little ingenuity, elbow grease and bargaining ability. My first gym setup was built from 2x4's (bench and squat rack) and they were a lot stronger than would be necessary for most people. That cost me about $100 for the 2x4's and screws. If you decide to do this PM me and I'll send you pictures so you can see how to put it together. It's easier than you would think. Then I got weights from garage sales and off of craigslist.org. I spent about $300 to get an old 65lb squat bar and approx 1,000lbs of weight. It's hard to sell weights so if you come with intent and a pocket full of cash you have plenty of leverage for negotiation. Now I can deadlift, make a mess with my chalk, listen to my own music, etc.. It was the best thing I have ever done for my lifting goals.

It's a lot different in my area - going rate for used olympic weight is .75 a lb more. New weight is a buck a pound after taxes.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    They scurrr the noobies
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have spent a total of about $1,500 on my home gym setup and it's better than most gyms. I also have a lot more weight than you'll ever need so I'm sure that you can do it for even cheaper than that. I also have a lot of strongman implements which tend to be a bit expensive, even if you make them yourself. it just takes a little ingenuity, elbow grease and bargaining ability. My first gym setup was built from 2x4's (bench and squat rack) and they were a lot stronger than would be necessary for most people. That cost me about $100 for the 2x4's and screws. If you decide to do this PM me and I'll send you pictures so you can see how to put it together. It's easier than you would think. Then I got weights from garage sales and off of craigslist.org. I spent about $300 to get an old 65lb squat bar and approx 1,000lbs of weight. It's hard to sell weights so if you come with intent and a pocket full of cash you have plenty of leverage for negotiation. Now I can deadlift, make a mess with my chalk, listen to my own music, etc.. It was the best thing I have ever done for my lifting goals.

It's a lot different in my area - going rate for used olympic weight is .75 a lb more. New weight is a buck a pound after taxes.

That's usually what I found people asking but I'd wait until they'd been posting it for a couple weeks and I'd show up and offer them $.30/lb. One time a guy said no but after he'd posted the same weight set for another 2 weeks I called him and offered it again and he cracked.

Play it Again Sports is a nationwide chain and they sell weights for $.45/lb for old weights and $.75/lb for any of them that look cool or have handles on them, etc...
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Wow! What's up with the dead lift phobia from these gym? This is why I am glad that I workout at home. I like your plan to start working out at home eventually. ???? ????
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you like the gym otherwise, acknowledge and then continue doing your thing. If the gym eventually follows through and revokes your membership, so be it. There isn't anything wrong with deadlifts, but a gym can certainly tell you that you can't train there for this or virtually any reason.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options

That's usually what I found people asking but I'd wait until they'd been posting it for a couple weeks and I'd show up and offer them $.30/lb. One time a guy said no but after he'd posted the same weight set for another 2 weeks I called him and offered it again and he cracked.

Play it Again Sports is a nationwide chain and they sell weights for $.45/lb for old weights and $.75/lb for any of them that look cool or have handles on them, etc...

Weights sell fast here normally. I will have to check Play it again, I need need 45s soon. But I am in Canada, so the prices might be a bit different.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Weights sell fast here normally. I will have to check Play it again, I need need 45s soon. But I am in Canada, so the prices might be a bit different.

Ah, there's about a 10% difference in currency between US and Canada so $1.00/lb there would only be $.90/lb here. Plus Americans are mostly fat and lazy (not being hateful, it's just the truth) So I imagine demand is lower here. I hear strongman and powerlifting are actually quite popular in Canada.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Wow. Even if it *was* in the fine print of the contract as you said, that's just asinine. That's like selling a pass to a golf course, but banning golf balls because they might hit someone. :P
  • LovenderNurse
    LovenderNurse Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know Gold's gym here does not allow deadlifting it may be different in other areas. My husband got out our old bench press bar and weights, I would like to invest in something newer however. Money is a bit tight but eventually, yes, I will have a very nice home gym and won't need a membership to a wimpy gym that only allows certain exercises. I think this gym caters more to newbies which I was but I have actual fitness goals and enjoy changing up my routine and I don't want to do the same five exercises everyday.

@Lofteren I would like to see some of those pictures when you get a chance, PM me, thanks!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    That's a fairly typical prohibition in gyms. Not all gyms have the space for or want the noise from deadlifts. Likewise, I suspect (no proof, just my suspicion) that it's one of the most common exercises where people get sloppy on form and injure themselves. Gyms may not want to expose themselves to that liability, sort of like how a lot of 24 hour places don't have bench press stations/squat racks but have "equivalent" areas instead (Smith machine, etc.). If you like deadlifts, just find a new gym and move on.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was in shock when i read this, the Deadlift and Squat are the king of exercises, both build lower and upper body strengh and help with posture, muscular balance and a whole lot of other benefits. The people at these gyms want you to stop doing the basic and best Strengh/mass builders and would rather have people doing leg presses and comfy machine movements....so you won't intimidate other people. keep deadlifting and intimidating and kicking *kitten*!!
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    I was in shock when i read this, the Deadlift and Squat are the king of exercises, both build lower and upper body strengh and help with posture, muscular balance and a whole lot of other benefits. The people at these gyms want you to stop doing the basic and best Strengh/mass builders and would rather have people doing leg presses and comfy machine movements....so you won't intimidate other people. keep deadlifting and intimidating and kicking *kitten*!!

HA! I agree, I will just make sure to do those exercises in my home from now on. I never thought I was intimidating anyone, just working out to improve my fitness. Thanks ;)
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    So I was at my gym yesterday morning and I had just finished up a set of deadlifts and squats when I was approached (rather rudely) by a gym staff member that my membership was getting flagged because I was deadlifting and apparently those type of exercises were not allowed. When I asked why, my question was taken as confrontational (which was not my intent) and the staff member became irate. I really just wanted a logical explanation. I explained I had seen lots of people doing deadlifts on a daily basis for the past four months and that I, myself, had been doing them for a while and was unaware that they weren't allowed. I was told it was because the gym owners banned them. Really? Thats the explanation? Oh, ya that clears things up! Sheesh... I really just want to know why. This seems so absurd to me. Why was I singled out among the many whom I had seen doing these before? I know I wasn't slamming down the weights and I was using proper technique. Can anyone explain to me why the deadlift is being banned in certain gyms?

Do you go to Planet Fitness by any chance??? LOL..
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    So I was at my gym yesterday morning and I had just finished up a set of deadlifts and squats when I was approached (rather rudely) by a gym staff member that my membership was getting flagged because I was deadlifting and apparently those type of exercises were not allowed. When I asked why, my question was taken as confrontational (which was not my intent) and the staff member became irate. I really just wanted a logical explanation. I explained I had seen lots of people doing deadlifts on a daily basis for the past four months and that I, myself, had been doing them for a while and was unaware that they weren't allowed. I was told it was because the gym owners banned them. Really? Thats the explanation? Oh, ya that clears things up! Sheesh... I really just want to know why. This seems so absurd to me. Why was I singled out among the many whom I had seen doing these before? I know I wasn't slamming down the weights and I was using proper technique. Can anyone explain to me why the deadlift is being banned in certain gyms?

Do you go to Planet Fitness by any chance??? LOL..

No, I got to Blue Moon Fitness
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    I would be worried that if they ban deadlifting what will they ban next?? I'd tear up the membership and look for a better gym that actually lets you use it for its designed purpose
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    I would be worried if that ban deadlifting what will they ban next?? I'd tear up the membership and look for a better gym that actually lets you use it for its designed purpose

I would love to do that, Ive been reading up on some of the on-line reviews and I found that there was some questionable activity going on at this gym. Some women were being video tapped while tanning and other people were being charged even after discontinuing their memberships, EEK!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Ah, there's about a 10% difference in currency between US and Canada so $1.00/lb there would only be $.90/lb here. Plus Americans are mostly fat and lazy (not being hateful, it's just the truth) So I imagine demand is lower here. I hear strongman and powerlifting are actually quite popular in Canada.

OMG :laugh:
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    I would love to do that, Ive been reading up on some of the on-line reviews and I found that there was some questionable activity going on at this gym. Some women were being video tapped while tanning and other people were being charged even after discontinuing their memberships, EEK!
    Hmm doesnt sound good at all! Any way you can get out of your membership at all??
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    Hmm doesnt sound good at all! Any way you can get out of your membership at all??

Im going to find out, I think there will probably be some kind of fee and what have you...