Exercise and bloating?

Options
So I've been going to the gym for about three months now and haven't noticed much of a difference in my stomach area. I've been running (5.5/6 mph for 30 min) and biking. I'm looking to lose some stomach fat and tone the muscles there, but so far, nothing. I can wake up and my stomach will be nice an flat, but as soon as I eat something, it bloats out. Is it something dietary or is this normal? Thanks for all responses!

Replies

• loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Do you have any food intolerances? Lactose, gluten, etc. Or do you have any stomach issues like IBS or GERD or gastroparesis?
  • sabbyfairy
    sabbyfairy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly natural. Your digestive system is expanding to accommodate the food you've ingested. Imagine how painful it would be if your body didn't do that.
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not that I am an expert, but you could possibly have a food allergy that is causing the bloating. Otherwise, there is no such thing as targeting specific areas for fat burn. You can start lifting weights and doing abdominal exercises to tone those muscles.
  • dragonrider458
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of, no. No allergies or anything...as far as IBS or anything like that, I'm not sure. I've never been diagnosed, thought I think I might have mild IBS..
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly natural. Your digestive system is expanding to accommodate the food you've ingested. Imagine how painful it would be if your body didn't do that.

This. When you eat, you're putting stuff into your body. Since it doesn't immediately come out the other end, it has to stay somewhere. It's totally normal. Unless you're feeling any pain/discomfort, I wouldn't assume IBS or allergies.
  • dragonrider458
    Options
    It's pretty constant throughout the day though, that's what I'm wondering about. I wake up and my stomach is flat, I eat breakfast (yogurt or cereal) and then it gets bloated and remains that way the rest of the day until I sleep and wake up the next day..
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options

This. When you eat, you're putting stuff into your body. Since it doesn't immediately come out the other end, it has to stay somewhere. It's totally normal. Unless you're feeling any pain/discomfort, I wouldn't assume IBS or allergies.

Yep! This is how what happens to me, I have no intolerances towards any foods, but the food I just ate has to stay somewhere until it gets broken down :)
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Could it be what you are eating, too many wheat products?