Full 360

Options
Hi! I'm new to MFP and I haven't really been a part of the fitness lifestyle since high school. I'm sorry this is so long in advance. I've had a rough five years and I feel as though I've wasted half of my twenties, because I have. In the last year I found out I had cancer, very fortunately had it removed without complication, and am on track to bettering myself a full 360 degrees because no news has ever scared me as much as cancer managed to scare me. The best thing I have done for myself thus far is I quit smoking! I am two months now without a single cigarette and I'm so proud of myself because I was skeptical that I could do it.

Unfortunately, my smoking habit was replaced with constant snacking to satisfy the habitual motion that would otherwise be smoking. I put on 15 lbs and I fit none of my clothes! I am mortified that with one triumph came another feeling of defeat with the weight gain, and though it isn't a dramatic weight gain and I don't see myself as fat - it's still significant enough to boost my insecurities and make me want to drop the 15 lbs I gained because I don't look flattering in anything in my wardrobe. In the last month I have successfully completed the 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels and I feel stronger, which is wonderful! The downside is I didn't lose any weight at the end (My fault, I didn't eat well enough.) I also realized a few things about myself in regards to fitness:

1. I need people to keep me motivated. Positive people that will remind me that anyone can do the things I am trying to do and give me support and advice along the way.

2. I no so very little about how to eat well. I could use some advice for beginners on how to pick and choose what to eat, and even some pointers on how to prepare those foods better. (Not so much because of taste, but so they are better for me.) Researching all the food rules got so overwhelming!

3. Aside from water additives, what do other people do to drink more water? I've begun drinking more than I probably ever have recently. I know that I need to drink a lot but it is difficult to drink as much as is recommended. I noticed when I drink from a water bottle, I'll drink more than I would out of a glass.

Anyway, I'm starting P90X and I feel confident this time in starting a work out routine after completing the 30 day shred. This workout is a lot longer and harder so I know I'll need help to stay committed - especially if I want to see results. This is a big commitment and I want it to be worth it.

Any help and support would be greatly appreciated and hopefully I can offer the same! :smile:

Replies

• dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    Where did you get your P90X? Are you working with a Beachbody coach?

I personally am inside the first year after a quadruple bypass. I can definitely understand how it takes some effort to ease back in and to stick with something. Send me a friend request and we can talk?
  • LittleMissCapulet
    Options
    I just have the videos for P90x and I am going to attempt to follow the classic schedule versus lean. I am not currently working with anyone but I don't know that I'd protest to it. I was originally doing the 30 day shred as a challenge to complete it with my sister.

Wow quadruple bypass is intense! My father has had a couple heart attacks, so it's in my family too. It's scary stuff!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There's a ton of really good information here. I'm sure someone will post the links that everyone should read. Also, congrats on quitting smoking! It can be so hard to do, but gets easier the longer you go. My husband has been quit for 6 years.

Make sure you are accurately logging each and every bite that goes into your mouth. That has been what has helped me the most. Even when I eat way too many of the River Street Sweets chocolate pralines, I log it.

Also, congrats on being cancer free. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

I'm in the middle of the 30DS. I love it, but all the planks in level 2 are killing me, LOL.
  • LittleMissCapulet
    Options
    I have noticed that it's gotten much easier to fight tobacco cravings. Now that I'm aware of it, I'm also more mindful of what food I'm eating but I've not started counting calories. I don't mind my current weight. What I mind is the pouch that came with it and i would be okay with just defining my muscles at this weight. I wouldn't complain if I dropped a few though haha.

Thank you! I was horrified when I found out I had cancer but I also know how fortunate I am and how much worse it could have been! Fighting to make sure that doesn't happen. It was a big eye opener, for sure.

Getting to level 2 of 30DS is a great achievement! I lamented level 2 the most, haha but you can do it! It's a great one to get the body used to moving again. Kicked my butt but I do feel stronger! Have you seen or felt any results with it so far?