Not Losing weight

Options
I eat 1,200 -1,400 depending on day (Easter threw me off) I exercise with Jillian Michaels DVDS and I do one or two of them a day (30 or 60 mins total). I have no have any weight loss.brokenheart
I am 5'9" and weigh 160, I really want to get down to 135 by August and this is really discouraging me and i dont feel like trying anymore.
Has anyone have this problem? I eat alot of carbs and sugars but also protein and veggies, I also drink alot of water. Is it the carbs. Thanks .heart
PLEASE HELP

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    See my response on your other thread. Also, just so you know, it's against TOS to post the same topic multiple times.
  • loseweightfast339
    Options
    How do you delete one? I just got myfitnesspal again I was using livestrong my plate for awhile, so I have no clue what I'm doing.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You can't delete your own thread. You could PM a mod and see if they will lock it for you, or just not reply and it will eventually die away.
  • loseweightfast339
    Options
    ok, thanks
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    As has been said many times on the boards: set appropriate goals, weigh your food, log accurately and consistently, learn patience. It's not the carbs.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I've been tracking my calories and exercisie for more than three weeks and haven't lost a single pound. 55 miles walked or hiked in the past three weeks with an average calorie consumption right around 1480 and the scale hasn't budged.

But I'm also not going to worry about it. After two weeks with no change, I created this account to keep myself on track despite not having any noticeable losses.

I have noticed that my body is changing and feels different in small ways. Some of the weight is likely gaining back some muscle that disappeared this winter. But I was also probably underestimating how many calories I have to cut back and overestimating how many calories I was burning. When I did an accurate count of the math last week, I only had a deficit for one pound, and that could easily not register on a weigh in.

I can't cut back my calories any more than I already have without feeling hungry which I refuse to do, so after the first two weeks, I increased my exercise instead.

And my measurements have changed. In addition to those that are already preprogrammed in the Check-In section of the site (neck, bust, hips), I added upper arms, thighs, and calves (left and right separately). I'm not measuring every day so I don't know if the last couple days have made a difference, but all of my measurements did go down about 1/4" between my first measurements and the next three or four days later.

So I say just find some other tools by which you can measure progress so that you're not reliant on weight alone.
  • C3001
    C3001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    But I was also probably underestimating how many calories I have to cut back and overestimating how many calories I was burning. When I did an accurate count of the math last week, I only had a deficit for one pound, and that could easily not register on a weigh in.

I can't cut back my calories any more than I already have without feeling hungry which I refuse to do, so after the first two weeks, I increased my exercise instead.

And my measurements have changed. In addition to those that are already preprogrammed in the Check-In section of the site (neck, bust, hips), I added upper arms, thighs, and calves (left and right separately). I'm not measuring every day so I don't know if the last couple days have made a difference, but all of my measurements did go down about 1/4" between my first measurements and the next three or four days later.

So I say just find some other tools by which you can measure progress so that you're not reliant on weight alone.

Great post! I would say that all of that above would serve you well. Often we don't accurately guess our calories as well as we think we do. Open you diary and we could really assess the situation. More than that... what has worked for me (IMO) was to slightly overestimate my portion sizes on food and under estimate calories burned. I don't want to weigh food but I would if the previous method wasn't working and my weight or measurements weren't changing. Might be something for you to consider. You can lose weight. It's just finding out what works best for you.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Would perhaps just focusing on a body recomp help you more? Your weight is within a good range (I'm 5'9 and look bangin' at 155), but perhaps you'd be happier with more muscle?
  • loseweightfast339
    Options
    I unfortunately do not carry the weight well. I am looking to lose 20-30 pounds.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    be sure you are tracking every calorie- including the ones you drink. Measure
  • AME902
    AME902 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just finished losing 40 lbs and it took soooo long. The first few months doing 1200 calories on MFP without any exercise, my weight just seemed to melt off. (I started out at 200 lbs.) When I reached around 160 lbs. my weight just stayed the same for months after months even though I was exercising and still counting calories, had changed my diet to completely delete red meat, diary products and processed foods. I started reading labels like crazy and trying to get more natural foods into my body. I still do not eat any of those, except once a year I treat myself to one cheeseburger and fries and an ice cream during the summer months. This is like my reward for all the rest of the year staying on course. I have also learned during the course of the last year that since Monsanto, king of GMO, owns all the seeds in this country, anything you eat, whether it be organic or not, the seeds have been GMO'd even if the label says no GMO that's a lie. So I go organic once in a while just to keep the pesticides at bay (even though pesticides may not be used during cultivation of the vegetable or fruit, the water is polluted anyway with chemicals and whatever they are spraying in the upper atmosphere when they chemtrail, you can't win) so when I can afford an organic, I do, but otherwise, what's the point. Anyway I digress. I also take a good multivitamin and also a probiotic pill to keep things balanced out in my stomach and intestines. You can't go wrong with a good vitamin.

After almost 6 months of being on a plateau I decided to just stop everything and shake things up. I increased my calorie intake to about 1500 a day which is way more than I need and cut my exercise down to just 3 times a week. I also switched from stationary biking to indoor walking which worked more muscles than I knew I had. I did this so that my body would "reset" and apparently it did. I started having to take more and more naps eating all those calories but I know that my body is in the process of resetting itself so it's good.

I just restarted my calorie counting, back to the beginning at 1200 calories and got back into my 6 day a week exercise routine doing both indoor walking and stationary biking now and already I can feel the difference and it's only been two days.

I also forgot to mention that once a month I cleanse by drinking natural coconut water and throwing everything into a blender for smoothies for a day or two. You feel lighter when you do this and it moves things out of your body which helps.

I can tell you that being on a plateau is frustrating and discouraging but don't get discouraged. Keep going. Reset yourself if you have to but keep going. Don't fall back into your bad eating habits and don't give up. Even if it takes 2 years, you have to think of it this way. Next week is coming whether you like it or not so you might as well set a goal for next week to lose X amount of weight, eat X amount of healthier foods, do X amount of exercise and feel a heck of a lot better in a week than you do today. And then rinse and repeat. This is how I stay the course.

Since I only have about 20 or so pounds to go before I reach my goal (and I started this in July of 2012 so it's taking a really long time for me to achieve my goal)I will tell you that it's not about the calendar, sometimes you simply cannot rush this. Slow and steady wins the race and keeps the pounds off. If you lose fast, like on these fad diets, you will only gain back and more when you stop. You have to actually make a life changing commitment and stay the course. Think of it as resetting your health not just your scale. Keep going. Don't forget to eat an apple a day to keep things inside of you moving. Sometimes, what grandma said back in the day is the RIGHT way to go.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Right, but if you put on more muscle and lost more fat, then the scale weight may not change much, but the way you look would look vastly different.

For example, check out this woman -- she did a major body comp and the difference between 117 lbs, 132 and 141 is shocking -- she looks better at both 131 and 142 than she does at 117 -- and she's the same size. She's just done a major body recomp. She actually looks best at 142 -- -and I would never have guessed that's how much she weighed looking like that.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/