April Walking Challenge 2014

Options

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping in, too! I walk track at my fitness center (about 20-35 minutes around 3.5 - 4.5 mph 6 days a week) or now that spring may be here, I've started also walking outside. Did a lunchtime walk today, using MapMyWalk. 1.87 miles at 3.5 mph and I burned 346 calories. I am going to a State Park later so I might get in a short hike.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I just did 15 minutes of intense walking - which is great for me. I must start off slow and work up as I have been totally non-exercising for about 6 months because of a health condition. Now, I am better and want to get to moving!!

I will be back to report total steps/distance today!!

Thanks for the this thread!!
    Reba
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Rebamae and everyone else,

Count me in, too! Just started walking a couple weeks ago. My April goal is to walk 3 days of the week. 30 minutes each time. I have been doing pretty good. But I can feel the "I can walk tomorrow" excuse creeping in to my head. So, this is the perfect thread for me.
    Walked today 30 minutes today.
    Plus I spent 4 hours walking an Earth Day celebration in the park with a 3 year old.
    Total steps today - 11,005
    Be healthy, be strong,

Kathrine from Kansas
  • kathrineb57
    Options
    Good Morning to all, I had my morning to myself and it is such a beautiful day, i decided to explore a walking trail. It is close t my house. First, thing I wanted to know, how far from my house was the a trail entrance. Answer- approx. 1.5 miles. 2nd question. how long is the walk from that trail entrance to the trail head? Answer - approx. 1.5 miles ( a little less). 3rd question, how far back to my house from trail head. Answer - approx. 3/4 of a mile. round trip was 3.77 miles and took me 1 hour and 15 mins. Mapmy walk says my pace was 20 min/mi. i am getting stronger. I started out a couple weeks ago at a 24 min. mile.

I am having some confusion on which to pick on the exercise list, since i really don't know if I am going 3.0 moderate pace or 3.5 brisk pace. Today I picked the 3.5 brisk pace because the calorie burned on MFP was similar to MapmyWalk. I will have to google that, maybe i can find out what pace equals per minutes a mile. Oh boy, too much math on Easter morning.

Recap: 1hour 15 min./ 3.77 mi.

Happy Easter to all, enjoy the glorious spring day, and making memories with your family and friends.

Be healthy, be strong,

Kathrine from Kansas
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Good evening!!
    I hope you have had a great Easter Sunday!
    I am setting 4000 steps as minimum this week then start adding more steps each week.
    My distance was 1.91

I did not walk to the DVD today. We were with family today, but I am considering taking Sundays off anyway.

"See" you tomorrow!!
    Reba in Kansas
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I'm setting a personal goal of 10,000 steps a day with at least 4,000 aerobic steps at least 5 days a week. Today, I did 11,960 steps and 7,283 of those were aerobic.
  • kathrineb57
    Options
    Good Morning all you walkers,
    I walked this morning outdoors at my favorite place. The Rotary Arboretum. Flat, 95% sidewalk, real pretty with ponds, native grass, flowers and trees. The trees are young so there is not much shade in the summer. And of course, here in Kansas the wind can get a little crazy. But today was cool and cloudy with little wind, even though a rain in rolling in. I wanted to determine what paths would give me 2 miles. And it was easy to figure out. 2 times around the outer paths, and once around the inner paths. I like the variety to walk different paths and either direction since it is one big round trip.

I walked 2 mies today, 42 minutes was my time.

I like to strive for 10,000 steps a day, everyday steps and work out included. On my work days, I don't have any problem with that goal. I walk all day long for 12 hours+ and rack up 10,000+, but that is only 3 days a week. I notice I really need to focus and work at getting those steps on on my days off.

Reba, good to see you setting a goal on on your daily steps. You will be upping that number in no time. YOU go girl!

I will check on this evening with my daily steps total.

Be healthy and strong,

Kathrine in Kansas
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Good morning mighty walkers!!

I don't know if I will get to do the DVD today, but I will get my steps in as we have 2 grandchildren with us today= ages 3 & 5. And I should say active grandchildren. But, it is so fun to have them!! I will definitely get steps!

I hope each of you are having a great Monday. We will "see" you tonight!

Kathrine, are you not working today? I thought you always worked M, T, & W. Am I wrong about that?

I am working to become healthy and strong!
    Reba
  • kathrineb57
    Options
    Hello Happy Walkers,

I just signed up for a walking tour of Old West Lawrence gardens in June. This is sponsored by the local Master Gardeners Club. I am really looking forward to that. Now, I am going to investigate when the local Alzheimer's Assoc. is planning their fundraising walk. I want to gather some friends and coworkers to make a team. Alzheimer's and Dementia care is what I do for a living so I am always looking for ways to help. But, in the past, I was letting others raise money when it came to the Walk. Not this year. I think we can participate two times this year, once in Kansas City and once in Topeka. Walking, Walking, Walking........ can't stop me now!

Yes, Reba, I do usually work M, T, and W. But someone needed to trade this week. So this week I work M, T, and Friday. I am impressed that you noticed. My son came by to grab some lunch and never said a word, of why I was home. I talked to my daughter, who lives in Tempe, AZ for a good 45 minutes. She didn't notice. And my other son, texted me from Dodge City, chatting away, and I answered, and he did not notice I was available to text back. LOL

Happy Walking to all

Be healthy, be strong

Kathrine from Kansas
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    4/10 - Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles
    4/12- Walking 2.5 miles
    4/14 - Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles w/weights
    4/16- Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles
    4/17- Walking 2 miles
    4/19- Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles
    4-21- Walking 45 min.
  • hippechickie
    hippechickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I walked almost a mile today
  • Ozzyzmommy
    Ozzyzmommy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Is it to late to join or will there be a May Walking Challenge? I like walking :)
  • kathrineb57
    Options
    Hi everyone, just popping in to record my total steps for the day. When I looked at my pedometer i was a little disappointed. I should have worn my pedometer with my PJ's around the house this morning. I bet I would have racked up the 500 steps I am short.

todays total steps: 9,554

And that was going to Walmart this afternoon. And my 2 mile walk this morning. ..... And still didn't make it to 10,000. Well, back to work tomorrow, will definitely get to 10,000.

Be healthy, be strong, my friends,

Kathrine from Kansas
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm joining this challenge. I walked 37 mins and 3.12kms. I want to walk 5 kms/day by the end of April.
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Good morning all!!

I did not do the DVD yesterday but I most definitely did get steps done: 4969. The DGC wanted to be outside most of the day even though the wind was blowing - in case I haven't told you - I hate wind!! LOL
    I am ready to change my walking goals to: 5000 steps, at least 2 miles.

Let's keep moving onward and downward!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I've only been part of challenge two days, but here are my stats.
    Sun: Total Steps: 11,960; Cardio Steps: 7,283
    Mon: Total Steps: 11,959; Cardio Steps: 9,311

Was surprised that my steps were only 1 off. I consider cardio steps whenever I continuously walk for over 10 minutes at more than 2 miles an hour.

Sunday:
    Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace Min: 18 Cal.: 135
    Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace Min: 15 Cal.: 139
    Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace Min: 19 Cal: 172

Monday:
    Walking, 4.5 mph, very, very brisk pace Min: 27 Cal.: 239
    Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace Min: 17 Cal.: 122
    Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace Min: 10 Cal: 44
  • kathrineb57
    Options
    Hello Walkers! I worked today, so no walking exercise today. I worked 12.5 hours and on my feet all day. So, I do get the steps in.

Today total steps: 14,537

boy, am I tired. Good night.

Be healthy and strong

Kathrine from Kansas
  • conatser9
    conatser9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hello All, Just got back from a 60 min 4.5 mile walk. Not been feeling good last couple days. But felt good to get back on track. Great day here in TN.
    Donna
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Good morning to all of my walking friends!!

I did get a walk in this morning - yea I will be back tonight to report my steps for the day!!

We want to go onward but downward!!

Reba in Kansas
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    4/10 - Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles
    4/12- Walking 2.5 miles
    4/14 - Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles w/weights
    4/16- Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles
    4/17- Walking 2 miles
    4/19- Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles
    4-21- Walking 45 min. - 2.5 miles