Elliptical or Treadmill??????

Options
Which is better? I am thinking of getting either but would like to know which is more beneficial?

Replies

• chelcscarbrough
    chelcscarbrough Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer the elliptical. The treadmill is so boring to me! But I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.
  • ashj3nt
    ashj3nt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i believe eliptical is better... you can change the vertical you work out at, along with think about the muscles you are working when doing your work out! Treadmills are great, but Elipticals are better! :)
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Elliptical! I think treadmills are boring, too. Plus, your arms are also going on the elliptical.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    i believe eliptical is better... you can change the vertical you work out at, along with think about the muscles you are working when doing your work out! Treadmills are great, but Elipticals are better! :)

You can get treadmills that do the same thing.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    You can run anywhere. Even in the winter. Ellipttical
  • countjackula
    Options
    I think treadmills are better for workouts, few things beat sprinting for interval training or incline walks. However, if you're buying one for your home I'd get the elliptical.

- Easier on the joints.
    - Safer (can squeeze in 30 minutes of cardio while watching TV).
    - Better for interval training; especially with the arms which give you a full body workout.
    - ...you can always run outside, lol. :laugh:
  • reese1206
    Options
    I prefer NOT running outside in the snow ; )
    I think treadmills are better for workouts, few things beat sprinting for interval training or incline walks. However, if you're buying one for your home I'd get the elliptical.

- Easier on the joints.
    - Safer (can squeeze in 30 minutes of cardio while watching TV).
    - Better for interval training; especially with the arms which give you a full body workout.
    - ...you can always run outside, lol. :laugh:
  • Losingforlife1
    Losingforlife1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer the elliptical. Just from googling ur topic title it looks like either one burns about the same calories it just comes down to preference.
  • countjackula
    Options

Really? Whenever it rains or snows the first thing I do when I come home is put on my running shoes. I'll probably pay the price for it sooner or later (knock on wood!) but I love it!

Running in the rain is awesome, splashing in puddles, dodging obstacles. And running in the snow makes me feel like Rocky in Rocky IV. :laugh:
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    I have bad knees.

I must have weird joints.. but the elliptical makes my knees hurt, where the treadmill doesn't.
  • BellaB777
    BellaB777 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. It helps me burn more calories in a shorter amount of time than the Treadmill.
  • reese1206
    Options
    Hahahaha......I would not feel like Rocky ; ) Plus having 4 kids makes it hard to just go for a run. I don't have anyone to watch my munchkins.

Really? Whenever it rains or snows the first thing I do when I come home is put on my running shoes. I'll probably pay the price for it sooner or later (knock on wood!) but I love it!

Running in the rain is awesome, splashing in puddles, dodging obstacles. And running in the snow makes me feel like Rocky in Rocky IV. :laugh:
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Options
    I think it really comes down to: Which one are you most likely to use? I think more calories are burned with an elliptical but I'm more likely to use a treadmill.
  • Chgogal1
    Options
    I prefer the Treadmill myself. However, I believe they are both work equally as well. You should invest in whichever one you are more likely to use. It just depends on the intensity of your workout. One thing the Eliptical has going for it is that it is easier on your joints. However, for weight bearing exercise, the Treadmill is better.
  • countjackula
    Options
    Hahahaha......I would not feel like Rocky ; ) Plus having 4 kids makes it hard to just go for a run. I don't have anyone to watch my munchkins.

Fair enough. :wink:

Would still pick the elliptical though. Especially because you can do 30-60 minutes at a reasonable pace while watching TV or something relaxing. And it's a little bit quieter (running tends to be noisier). In terms of effectiveness they are roughly the same.

PLUS even if it's snowing now you could run outside in the summer, yes?
  • reese1206
    Options
    No one to watch the kids if I leave to run. I think I will be getting the Elliptical. Thank you

Fair enough. :wink:

Would still pick the elliptical though. Especially because you can do 30-60 minutes at a reasonable pace while watching TV or something relaxing. And it's a little bit quieter (running tends to be noisier). In terms of effectiveness they are roughly the same.

PLUS even if it's snowing now you could run outside in the summer, yes?
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I also vote for the elliptical
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Downpours I'm not to keen on but nice soft light rain is so relaxing to run in. It really kind of clears your head gives you a state of solitude that is so therapeutic. Snow is the same way especially on secluded trails or quiet neighborhood. All of the sounds are muffled. It soothes your soul!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. It helps me burn more calories in a shorter amount of time than the Treadmill.

I've found the opposite. I burn way more jogging/running than using the elliptical, even at a high resistance/high slope (whatever it's called).

I use both, and I used to dislike the treadmill, but I've grown to enjoy jogging/running enough that I prefer the treadmill. I feel like I get a better workout jogging/running than I do on the elliptical.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees.

I must have weird joints.. but the elliptical makes my knees hurt, where the treadmill doesn't.

ME too :) I belong to a gym I always do the treadmill yesterday I got the courage to try the elliptical and after a minute my knee was like ARE YOU KIDDING??? this hurts way to much. I had to stop. I thought I was a freak and the only one..lol..