kinda gross but if anyone can help...

Options
2»

Replies

• ironsister
    ironsister Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can also add baking soda and vinegar to the wash in addition to your detergent, it works pretty well. Also, last year we had a house fire and most of our clothes ended up wet and smelling like smoke, if you have ever had a fire you know the smell, it is horrible...anyway, I took several of our things to a cleaner that used Ozone and it took the worst smells out. I didn't know at the time that Ozone can be purchased at local hardware stores.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem and have found three solutions.

First, I have a high efficiency washer, which is great for mother earth but not so great for the noses that surround me at the gym. I use clorox stain fighter in the wash, COLD water and I do very small loads. Baking soda is great to help get rid of odors too when added to the wash. I have tried borax etc and although they help a little I found that is not what is causing the biggest problem.

If you use a gel deoderant STOP, the gel gets in the clothing and traps the odor. I have switched to a regular deoderant and have had a lot less stink in the clothes. Problem with the new fabrics is once the smell is in there it is hard to get rid of it.

Also, the absolute best way to get rid of odors and stains is to soak the clothes in cold water over night and then wash, I find this approach works better than warm water and then when it's time to wash I add the stain fighter and a bit of baking soda and everything seems to return to a non stinkier happy place.

I will admit that I have a couple of newer sports bras that I refuse to get rid of but I only wear them when I am running through the hood because I don't want to be the gym offender :wink:
  • flynabster
    Options
    Baking soda added to the wash should work....and it's CHEAP.....
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a farmer husband that literally comes home covered in crap everyday. The only thing that works for him is Tide with Arm and Hammer and Oxyclean! AND a good fabric softener, AND good drier sheets( I prefer Downy april fresh) ! But his clothes come out smelling great
  • nickeymhughes
    nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow, not that would be expensive.. Borax is cheap and it works.. matter of fact I make my own laundry soap and borax is one of the ingredients (I'm cheap I know). Can't help it, I really hate how expensive laundry soap is.. every so often I buy some if I have a coupon and when I use it all I keep the container so I can fill it with the laundry soap I make cause I make a ton of it at a time...(it last me for like 3 months) and it smells good too =)
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    try putting them on a normal machine wash with powder and pour white vinegar in the softner compartment and leave it to clean dont worry it wont smell of vinegar when finished as its a deoderiser.
    or mix baking soda with vinegar of sweat patches and leave for about 20 mins then wash as normal and it will dissapear.