chicken???

Options
I bought a bag of frozen skinless chicken breasts
it says a serving is 6oz
there is about 8 pieces in a bag and each piece is about 12 to 13oz
would it be fine just to eat each piece?
I don't have a scale so I would have to buy one and cut everything up and weigh it and i don't want to do all that

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you want to accurately log all the food that you consume - you need scales. Guess work just isn't going to give you that data that you need.
  • flupps_
    flupps_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Does it say the total weight of the whole bag?
    If so you can just divide it evenly for each piece. Since you'll eventually eat it all it will even out across the days.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale so I would have to buy one and cut everything up and weigh it and i don't want to do all that

Eat each piece without weighing it and you're just guesstimating it. You will not know for sure what you've consumed. If you're ok with that then go for it!!

By the way, there is no easy way out! You need to leave the laziness behind if you expect to achieve your fitness journey (whatever that is)!!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    If you want to manage a long term weight loss/gain journey you need to monitor accuratly what you're consuming, therefore:
    If you want to accurately log all the food that you consume - you need scales. Guess work just isn't going to give you that data that you need.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If so you can just divide it evenly for each piece. Since you'll eventually eat it all it will even out across the days.
    This
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    This

'This' is ONLY true for this bag of food NOT the rest of the larder, fridge, supermarket etc.... All of the Other stuff that the OP ever consumes. It does not solve the (more important) Bigger Picture Problem.

A change in life style require a paradigm change ... in this case Accurate data logging.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This

'This' is ONLY true for this bag of food NOT the rest of the larder, fridge, supermarket etc.... All of the Other stuff that the OP ever consumes. It does not solve the (more important) Bigger Picture Problem.

A change in life style require a paradigm change ... in this case Accurate data logging.

While I encourage and use a scale, and can't imagine my weight loss without it, some people may feel it's too fussy or not for them. As long as they are losing weight and it's working for them, then all is good. I actually have a friend who buys everything she would need for the week, log the whole bunch at once as per package, and divide the total by 7. I would go crazy if I did that, not being able to have random stuff "not on my menu" but it works for her, so be it. As soon as having no scale stops bringing results to OP, I think it would be time to consider a new mindset/strategy including buying a scale.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    While I encourage and use a scale, and can't imagine my weight loss without it, some people may feel it's too fussy or not for them. As long as they are losing weight and it's working for them, then all is good. I actually have a friend who buys everything she would need for the week, log the whole bunch at once as per package, and divide the total by 7. I would go crazy if I did that, not being able to have random stuff "not on my menu" but it works for her, so be it. As soon as having no scale stops bringing results to OP, I think it would be time to consider a new mindset/strategy including buying a scale.

Fair do's (but what a fuss) .
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so each piece is two servings....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

its a sad situation when you only get to eat half a chicken breast!!
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

Yeap ... have you seen the size of some of those chemical enhanced chickens? T'ain't natural
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

let's not even get started on what a serving of peanut butter is. or ice cream.

The serving size for ice cream is a half a cup. That sounds like someone put it there for a joke or something. "Hey, come here. Look what I put for the serving size. I just put it there for a joke but they're going out that way. What should I do? Just let it slide?" It's like: "Hey, man. You wanna grab a bite to eat?" "Oh! I had a half a cup of ice cream. I just kept eating and eating. I must have had two spoon fulls!"
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

This... unless you are ok with not tracking accurately potentially harming your weight loss.

Scales are required to properly measure food, even those that have cup sizes listed. Weight is accurate, measuring cups and spoons are not for food.

Also, guessing is not accurate either.