What are your best HABITS for losing weight?

Options
So, I saw this great quote: "Motivation is what gets you going and habits are what keep you going."

What are your best habits that have helped you lose weight? I know that replacing the urge to eat with drinking tea at night is a good habit that helps me with unnecessary eating at night. I would love to know other people's weight loss habits that make the weight loss journey easier and successful.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale
    +logging accurately
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    Using a food scale
    +logging accurately

These.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Not eating so much... and running a lot.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good topic!

Planning is key for me. I have to know ahead of time what my meals are going to look like and where I have wiggle room. This helps not only with resisting temptation during the week but also on the weekends when I go to the grocery store. It's cheaper and healthier not to pick up unexpected items just because you see them on the shelf. (And never go grocery shopping while hungry!)

With exercise, I think you have to not force it -- find something you enjoy and use that to burn calories. For me, it's circuit training, kickboxing, walking wherever I can around town, and hanging out with my husband (playing soccer, hiking, etc.). I tried to get into running and really never fell in love with it, so I don't force myself to do that. Just keep trying new things until you find something you like.

I also struggle a little bit with getting enough water. I'll let myself have a different beverage with dinner (usually a diet soda), but I make an effort to drink only water during the workday. I also recently started letting myself only have water after dinner in order to resist the urge to have a bedtime snack. I've been slacking on it a little lately, but it's helped me get a couple more glasses in.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Planning my meals for the day in the morning, so I know what I'll be eating, when and that I'll get enough protein and stay within my calorie target.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Weighing my food has been the best habit. All I can say is no wonder I'm fat...
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Running.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Logging everything I ate. Trying to stay within my macros.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8VhdQQqVvc2w4gC-bYMWr0-6gKpQjgNqdo_0k97xe3LoVyaWFgA
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Ditto the food scale. Can't say enough good things about it. That's been my #1.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    patience, persistence, and planning
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Logging everything
    Food Scale & Measuring cups/spoons
    Some kind of activity, every single day, even if just a short walk. Keeps me focused on my goals.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Weighing. loggoing, and planning...... one without the others is not effective!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale
    +logging accurately

This, absolutely this.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    patience, persistence, and planning

This and using a food scale
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale
    +logging accurately

Pre-logging or pre-planning your day. Exercise included.
    Your thighs don't lie. If you don't do the work and accurately log the food, nothing can change. Plus, when you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Every day have 2 goals (1) eat under my calorie goal (2) exercise at least 30 minutes. Do those enough times and they become habits. Weighing and logging food is automatic. Now my day isn't right if I don't get my exercise in.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said: logging and measuring food, meal planning, and increasing my fluid intake and exercise. However, I also cut out a number of empty calories by changing a "reward" I used to give myself. I usually shop a couple of times a week at Walmart and utterly *hate* that store. However, it's the cheapest place for me to buy my groceries and other things I need. I used to buy myself a candy bar to reward myself for spending time in that hated place, which added up to about 600 calories/week. I now buy myself a Fuze Slenderize beverage instead--not depriving myself, but at the same time reducing what I take in. I've started using the substitution concept for other things I do, too and I'm finding it very helpful.
  • JakeNJ95
    JakeNJ95 Posts: 54
    Options
    Every time I get hungry I have a glass of water to make sure that I am not thirsty. Your brain likes to play games with you and make you think your hungry when you are thirsty and you keep eating when in reality you are thirsty not hungry. This has helped me a lot.