Protein Bars

Options
124»

Replies

• emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anyone can file a lawsuit... Just saying. I've seen it many times. A brand dominates the market and suddenly there's a lawsuit or rumour trying to make them look bad. We've actually had many, many bars pulled because they list their carb counts wrong, it's not that unusual. Until it's proven I have a hard time believing it.
    Besides, if there actually was incorrect amounts of sugar etc, diabetics everywhere would be having major issues.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think the Quest bars are disgusting, and expensive! I eat the Clif bars which are 20g of Protein and just yesterday I discovered the Walmart brand (Equate I think), box of 8 was $8.88 and they are 20g of protein as well! They arent as yummy as the Cliff bars but for that price who cares, they still arent as yuck as the Quest!

I will have to try these

I'm sure the Cliff bars taste a lot better considering they contain 20g of sugar (30g carbs). If you don't mind all that sugar, then go for it, but if you're watching your sugar content, I would go the way of Quest, Pure, or something similar.

I watch my carbs, but even though these are higher it still fits into my macros, I don't watch my sugar as I have no need to. :smile:

Edited to add, I just looked at the quest bars I had tried a few weeks back and they ranged from 22-26g of carbs, so really not much difference. Yes a huge difference in sugars, however as I already said I have no need to watch my sugar. :drinker:

Say what??

Sugar is just a carb. Therefore, if she is tracking carbs and has room in her macros, there is no need to track sugar as well.

The 26g of carbs in Quest Bars comes from Fiber, this does not impact bloods sugar what's so ever. HUGE difference than 20g of sugar.
    I understand that sugar is a carb, and I'm sure you could fill up your daily intake of macros on Krispy Kreme donuts everyday keeping under the limit, doesn't mean you should do it.

Obviously you won't hit your macros if you "fill up your daily intake of macros on Krispy Kreme donuts everyday" (although I'm not sure how choosing a different brand over quest insinuates eating Krispy Kreme all day), but a little bit more sugar for someone who doesn't have any medical conditions isn't going to hurt them if they are staying within their goals. I'm not trying to debate. Just pointing out where she was coming from.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat a Cliff bar you might as well eat a candy bar... macros are identical if not worse/better.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    If you're going to eat a Cliff bar you might as well eat a candy bar... macros are identical if not worse/better.

When you show me a candy bar with 20 grams of protein, I will happily change over.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Best way to go is Quest bars.

This is 100% correct.

They are on the pricey side (about $1.80 per bar) but they are HEAVEN.

When it says they taste like the flavor on the package...trust me...they do...they're addictive...if you put them in the microwave for 15 seconds you will have an instant desert.

They are around 20g of protein, 1-3g of carbs and virtually no sugar.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

Order a sampler pack and find your favorite flavors.

In fact I'm going to go have my Coconut / Cashew one right now :)

wait a sec you get your Quest bar for $1.80 ... I bought at Vitamin shoppe this weekend (for 1st time) for $2.49 ....

Where do you buy yours from?
  • FatGuyNL
    FatGuyNL Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Quest Bar's coconut and almond bar (I think that's what it's called... just finished one 10 minutes ago haha)).
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Go to GNC instead of Wal Mart.

Buy Quest Bars.

Eat Quest Bar.

Be happy.

Ding, though they are pricey they are worth it. When I eat them before my workout (or after a long bike ride) I don't get hungry until dinner. They are so goood (favs are cookies and cream, cookie dough, cinnamon bun)
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    I really like the Elevate Me range of protein bars.....16g of protein at least, but the carbs are way up there....around 35g per bar.....so only eat those if you have the room in your carb target for the day.....but they are so yummy.....gluten free and high in fibre.....my faves are the Banana Almond, Banana Nut Bread, and the Cocoa Coconut....I have only seen them at Save On Foods though...(Canada)
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've found that I really enjoy Simple Truth bars from Kroger's organic food section. I can only buy 3 flavors, and that's fine by me. I really enjoy double chocolate, peanut butter, and chocolate mint. They're about $0.70 per bar, 200 calories with 20 grams of protein and 7 grams of sugar (or close, if not all exactly the same).

I suggest that you try a few different kinds, figure out what suits your taste and needs.
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always recommend the Balance Bar - but ONLY the mint cookie flavor. It is seriously the protein bar version of a girlscout thin mint cookie.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I would love to find information regarding the QuestBar lawsuit (being crap that is). Where are you getting this information?

While it is true anyone can file a lawsuit, when there is money to be made i am suspicious of big companies. If the fibre content in the bar is off (so too are the carbs) and if i'm trying to fill my macros (and track) i like to be accurate.

I think i'll eat a piece of steak instead.

The guy is suing Quest, claiming the fiber content is overstated on the labels. He is arguing that IMO or Isomalto-Oligosaccharides is not a fiber. I cannot get into specifics (cause the lawsuit isn't over yet), but it will be over soon and the facts will indeed come to light.
  • sandy0380
    sandy0380 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Clif White Chocolate Macadamia Nut bars are heaven!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

When you show me a candy bar with 20 grams of protein, I will happily change over.

I said Cliff bar, not Cliff Builder bar.... learn to read.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the taste of protein bars! My favorite are the ANSI Cheesecake Bars, PowerBar Vanilla Protein Plus, and Quest's Double Chocolate Chunk! I used to buy them from either the Vitamin Shoppe (since I can get them individually and get reward points) or Amazon (sometimes cheaper). However, I was recently forced to give them up </3 For whatever reason recently, about ten minutes after I consume a protein bar I get terribly ill. I get chills, nausea, abdominal pain, intense thirst, weakness, and I vomit... a lot. I used to be fine, so I'm not sure why this randomly started happening (maybe I developed an allergy to something in it? Too much fiber?) Either way, what happened to me is bizarre and unusual, if I could continue eating them I would. You should try some out! But be patient, some are certainly better than others.
  • Hornsby
    Options

I said Cliff bar, not Cliff Builder bar.... learn to read.

Ahhh okay. I thought since we have been talking about protein bars and have mentioned Clif's Builder Bars throughout the thread, that's what you were talking about. Didn't know you were speaking of something irrelevant to this thread. My apologies. Bye.gif
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In Quest Bars, I dig the Cinnamon Roll and Coconut Cashew. I really wanted to like the Chocolate PB, but it was just meh.

I alo really dig Trader Joe's Turkey Jerkey, but I really need them to open a location by my apartment!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Just bumping this up as I was at Target this weekend and foundthe new Clif Buider's MAX bars. They taste yummy, but are pretty calorie dense but have 30 grams of protein per bar.

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_builders_max/