opinions are needed please :)

Options
2»

Replies

• JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The highest incline at a speed of 3 is actually really good . . . IF you're not holding the handlebars! That will completely mess up your workout.

If you have the free time, then definitely add some resistance training, and try to do it in a circuit training fashion. That's more time effective and will burn fat better.

i have been holding the top of the machine i didn't think that mattered ??

Holding on burns 20-50% fewer calories by some estimates. It's also bad for your posture and balance. Some trainers even say that it can increase the risk of injury because you're forced to run/walk in an unnatural way with your arms forward and palms down. Lower the incline and build to higher inclines and speeds with your hands off.

thanks you !! i guess i have much more to learn :)
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    If you're not weighing your food on a scale, you're probably eating too much.

You can burn a decent amount of calories walking at 3 mph, especially at your weight. Heck, even at 170, I still burn ~200 calories an hour walking at 3 mph. Sure, it's not an hour of zumba worth of calories burned, but it's good and easy on the knees.

I'm not sure what your calorie recommendation is, but I would say weigh everything (measure liquids with a measuring cup), eat back only half your exercise calories and see where you are in a week or 2.

thanks i will try this too
  • lemcmullen
    lemcmullen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weighing or measuring your food is definitely the way to go. It's amazing how much extra food you eat by just eyeballing the amount. I am surprised that you aren't seeing any loss after 4 weeks of exercising since water weight is the first to go.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You say you'll increase weights by 30 minutes? I think you should consider following a specific program. Lifting is about sets & reps, not really about how long it takes. Check out strong lifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women.

On the other side, since you are doing a lot of exercise it's not good to only follow the scale because you could easily be retaining lots of water. It's better to go by how you look, feel, and measurements. As well as how your clothes fit. When I started lifting I went up 4 pounds and my weight was gradually increasing. When I stopped lifting for a couple of days in a row I flushed down all those pounds in a couple of days and hit a new low weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You say you'll increase weights by 30 minutes? I think you should consider following a specific program. Lifting is about sets & reps, not really about how long it takes. Check out strong lifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women.

On the other side, since you are doing a lot of exercise it's not good to only follow the scale because you could easily be retaining lots of water. It's better to go by how you look, feel, and measurements. As well as how your clothes fit. When I started lifting I went up 4 pounds and my weight was gradually increasing. When I stopped lifting for a couple of days in a row I flushed down all those pounds in a couple of days and hit a new low weight.

This. I just started Stronglifts 5x5. I love it. I just started last week. www.stronglifts.com

As for cardio, all I could suggest is give a higher speed a try! It won't hurt and you can always go back down.

Definitely get a food scale and weigh everything you eat. When I got my food scale it was a HUGE eye opener.
  • JennyJ2015
    Options

This. I just started Stronglifts 5x5. I love it. I just started last week. www.stronglifts.com

As for cardio, all I could suggest is give a higher speed a try! It won't hurt and you can always go back down.

Definitely get a food scale and weigh everything you eat. When I got my food scale it was a HUGE eye opener.

thanks im going to te website now i do have a food scale im going to start using it again tonight
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Did you measure at the beginning? - are your clothes feeling looser? My first few weeks my measurements changed even though the scales refused to budge.

I'm in the same boat. My scale isn't moving, and measurements technically are about the same, but it's like stuff is shifting around...my clothes are a little looser and I can see a little definition starting. Don't lose your momentum, OP. You're doing all the right things. Definitely double check that you're logging everything correctly. Are you using a food scale and heart rate monitor to get more accurate calories in/calories out?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You're over eating..

if you haven't' lost weight then your not eating right

reevaluate your diet, make adjustments and you should start to lose.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

thanks im going to te website now i do have a food scale im going to start using it again tonight

SL 5x5 also has a free phone app. There's a woman's SL group on here also with lots of info, videos, etc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

ETA: Watch the videos, work on your form - it may help to start with a pvc pipe the length of a barbell at home if you aren't used to doing some of the movements.

Also, if you choose this program, or any strength program there's a site that'll tell you what and how many warm up reps you should do.

http://warmupreps.com/

PM me if you have any questions I can try to help with or point you in the right direction. I'd highly recommend that group, they even have it broken down better than the guy who created SL5x5 does, makes it a little more understanding.

Or if you want to check out another program - there's New Rules of Lifting for Woman. They have a book that talks about it, that also gives a diet plan and a workout.