What are your best HABITS for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Not eating so much... and running a lot.
    Seems to work for me too!
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water and dropping added liquid calories/sugars.
  • chris16richardson
    chris16richardson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Being Honest when logging Food and staying motivated.
    It is easy to get discouraged when you are putting the work and not see results.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I got into the habit to eat half portions when I go out to eat and take the rest home for lunch the next day. :) It automatically cuts your portion sizes and still allows you to eat what you enjoy! I also try to have fruit or salad/veggies with every meal to keep me fuller longer. Club Soda (Seltzer Water) instead of Soft Drinks and less carbs!
  • ggestella1
    Options
    weighing food is a good one, the other upside to weighing things like pasta is that now i only make whats needed, and no waste because i've overestimated x
  • ggestella1
    Options
    also.... batch cooking!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Working out on my lunch break, rather than going out to eat with coworkers has made a big difference.

I was reading this and thinking "I don't have any habits for losing weight" (i.e. for weight control). All my life it's been an effort to control my weight. I've done it, but it's never been habit. I have to think about it all the time.

Then I read the comment above and I thought, "Wait, I do have habits that help!". I workout during the work day and I bring my lunch. These may truly be the two things that have kept me most on track.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Full gallon of water every day and weighing my food.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging! During the week I pre-log my breakfast, lunch, snacks and sometimes dinner for the next day. This helps make me plan ahead to keep on track. There are usually about 300-500 calories left over for snacks and such, so my day doesn't feel completely planned/controlled. Just enough to keep me on track!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Eating vegetables at every meal. I am a hungry person. Vegetables really bulk out a meal. They also have lots of vitamins and minerals that help my body feel better so I can move more. Oh yeah and fiber to keep every thing moving.
  • silvereve
    silvereve Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    getting in all my calories in at dinner so I am not tempted to eat after dinner.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    1) Drinking a full glass of water (8oz+) within fifteen minutes of waking and continuing though out the day.
    2) I don't drink my calories (milk, juice, beer, soda)*. I'd rather eat. *The exception is protein shakes, I can only eat so much protein to reach 150-180 grams per day.
    3) I cut pasta, bread, and white potatoes. I just feel better without them.

Those are the 3 I live by.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Running
  • Sinful_moon
    Sinful_moon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Food scale/logging properly go hand in hand.
    Doing cardio even if you're not that interested in it atm
    Learning to not let mistakes derail all your efforts, life is lived one day at a time.
  • RelentlessChef
    Options
    Meal planning, TRUTHFULLY logging everything, hiking daily, cutting out beer, white bread, mayo, milk and reducing starches with dinner. So far so good. Some cravings are tougher than others.
  • Tiamaria1010
    Tiamaria1010 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Meal planning, TRUTHFULLY logging everything, hiking daily, cutting out beer, white bread, mayo, milk and reducing starches with dinner. So far so good. Some cravings are tougher than others.

Cutting out the beer was the hardest for me but I did it!!
  • lac925
    lac925 Posts: 12
    Options
    I've recently given up soda (I only drank diet sodas) and cut back on sugar, which is what I think kick started my weight loss. Portion control. I give myself little "treats" (ie. a piece of dark chocolate after dinner sometimes) so I don't overindulge or feel deprived. I've gotten into healthier snacking (hummus and carrot sticks instead of chips).

I jump on the treadmill for 30 minutes at least 4 times a week, followed by some weights. Sometimes, I'll go on Youtube and do the Zumba fitness routines (my favourites are the ones by Lauren Fitz) just for fun :)

I don't weigh my food or keep a log like a lot of people here, but I do watch my portions and never go back for seconds. I'll take my time eating my meal so that I feel full afterwards - my husband eats fast and is always hungry for seconds :S I also READ LABELS and follow the serving portions.

I also found that having a protein shake for lunch has helped.
  • jlmarohl
    jlmarohl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Checking my mood before I eat... A lot of times it's stress induced...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Accurate and consistent logging.

Staying active.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Here are mine...

Drink lots of water between meals.

Eat frequently

log what you eat