420?? legal?

Options

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Doesn't get my vote.

Personally I think pot is a highly addictive substance that is often times a gateway to harder drugs. Legalizing it sends a message to kids that society condones the usage of drugs for recreational purposes. I also believe that legalizing marijuana will just create a new base of consumers in addition to the ones already using it.

I don't want to live in a society of people unable to make informed, rational and logical decisions as a result of being under the influence.

Its literally isn't addictive. Its chemically not the sort of thing that can compare with nicotine, or even alcohol. Both of those can be VERY addictive. MJ isn't like that at all, regardless of what anyone tells you. Google it.

Some people can develop an addiction to it... just like some people can develop an addiction to alcohol. People can react in a variety of ways to different substances based on their genetic/physiological make-up.

you're talking about addictive personality disorder. those of us who suffer from it can become addicted to LITERALLY ANYTHING. even something as benign-seeming as rolling scotch tape between your fingers (my mother actually does this). it doesn't even have to release dopamine in your brain, just has to be repetitive.

and at THAT? medical marijuana has been prescribed to some sufferers as a way to relax rather than react.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Its literally isn't addictive. Its chemically not the sort of thing that can compare with nicotine, or even alcohol. Both of those can be VERY addictive. MJ isn't like that at all, regardless of what anyone tells you. Google it.

this is BS i'm sorry. tho i'm sure there is plenty of info to support you.

Not as addictive as nicotine i'm sure but if it has no phyisical addiction component then why do i sometimes get bed sweets when i go a day without it? lol

Google it. It really is a matter of biochemistry. Addictions to pot are probably psychological in nature.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Doesn't get my vote.

Personally I think pot is a highly addictive substance that is often times a gateway to harder drugs. Legalizing it sends a message to kids that society condones the usage of drugs for recreational purposes. I also believe that legalizing marijuana will just create a new base of consumers in addition to the ones already using it.

I don't want to live in a society of people unable to make informed, rational and logical decisions as a result of being under the influence.

you are out of your element
  • dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a libertarian ideology, so I think it should be legal everywhere in the U.S. That being said, I think it can function as a gateway drug, and don't want to be on the road with a bunch of stoned people. Weed impairs judgment and reaction time, and inhibits motivation; those are scientifically proven facts. So many people like to smoke weed and will do so whether it is legal or not. I choose not to smoke it (anymore :bigsmile: ), so I will just find a way to make lots of money from all the stoners!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado
    We have a weed and sushi restaurant. - http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/01/hapa-sushi-colorado.html

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMQW0wSr83wze9ba13nbIP4Zia303-qiGGmb7r5h1g8LKvI6trEA

Yep
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    also currious to know if anything else that simply grows out of the ground it illegal. there must be something.

opium poppies and coca plants maybe

lots of drugs are made from stuff that grows out of the ground

agree that what you MAKE FROM THEM is illegal, but i'm pretty sure a coca plant all on its own is not illegal. not sure about the poppy plant's legality in and of itself
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I watched a documetary on Prohibition on PBS once. I think they decided that making alcohol forbidden actually increased its desirability, and therby its consumption. The danger factor or some such.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Google it. It really is a matter of biochemistry. Addictions to pot are probably psychological in nature.

while sweating could occur from extream stress and perhaps therefore be considered psychological, i'd have to say bed sweets would be a classic withdrawl symptom from a physical addiction
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have a libertarian ideology, so I think it should be legal everywhere in the U.S. That being said, I think it can function as a gateway drug, and don't want to be on the road with a bunch of stoned people. Weed impairs judgment and reaction time, and inhibits motivation; those are scientifically proven facts. So many people like to smoke weed and will do so whether it is legal or not. I choose not to smoke it (anymore :bigsmile: ), so I will just find a way to make lots of money from all the stoners!

But alcohol is legal and it impairs your judgement and reaction time far worse than MJ!! I think stoned drivers are far more cautious than drunk drivers!!
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Doesn't get my vote.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you can't be serious. Do you actually know anything about it at all beyond what you might have seen in Reefer Madness, lol?

I'm in Canada, I say legalize it and tax it, I'll pay the taxes if it's going to a good cause!
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

But alcohol is legal and it impairs your judgement and reaction time far worse than MJ!! I think stoned drivers are far more cautious than drunk drivers!!

Drunk driving IS illegal. Drinking may not be, but drinking and driving certainly is. Even while MJ may be legalized, operating under the influence...I highly doubt that law will change...EVER
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    also currious to know if anything else that simply grows out of the ground it illegal. there must be something.

Khat, Coca, Psilocybin containing shrooms, Iboga, Peyota and Cannabis.. Can't think of anything else though Belladonna may be illegal in certain states to cultivate.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    As someone who lives in Colorado I can tell you nothing much has really changed, its the same people smoking as its always been. I know of not one person who said "oh its legal I think I'll go try it now for the first time" LOL.. Seriously its been great for the state so far. it should go nation wide. I personally don't smoke, I never liked its effect on me. but I think adults should be allowed to make there own choices and the extra revue is fantastic ;-)

Oh and yes you will get a DUI if your pulled over and use in public is illegal.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Drunk driving IS illegal. Drinking may not be, but drinking and driving certainly is. Even while MJ may be legalized, operating under the influence...I highly doubt that law will change...EVER

I understand drunk driving is illegal. However, the arguement was driving under the influence. I'm certain if MJ were to be legalized it would still be illigal to driver under the influene. However, people drive with alcohol in their system all the time. Hence my arguement that if one IS going to drive under teh influence I'd much rather it be under the influence of MJ vs alcohol.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Doesn't get my vote.

Some people can develop an addiction to it... just like some people can develop an addiction to alcohol. People can react in a variety of ways to different substances based on their genetic/physiological make-up.

you're talking about addictive personality disorder. those of us who suffer from it can become addicted to LITERALLY ANYTHING. even something as benign-seeming as rolling scotch tape between your fingers (my mother actually does this). it doesn't even have to release dopamine in your brain, just has to be repetitive.

and at THAT? medical marijuana has been prescribed to some sufferers as a way to relax rather than react.

Exactly, it can be psychologically addictive, as can chocolate, or masturbating, or anything lol but it doesn't produce a chemical addiction the way other things do, like say cigarettes and alcohol. You may kick the sheets a bit after stopping if you're psychologically addicted, but you won't have actual physical withdrawal.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Khat, Coca, Psilocybin containing shrooms, Iboga, Peyota and Cannabis.. Can't think of anything else though Belladonna may be illegal in certain states to cultivate.

ok i was wrong on the coca plant. should have thought of the shrooms. never heard of Khat
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    As someone who lives in Colorado I can tell you nothing much has really changed, its the same people smoking as its always been. I know of not one person who said "oh its legal I think I'll go try it now for the first time" LOL.. Seriously its been great for the state so far. it should go nation wide. I personally don't smoke, I never liked its effect on me. but I think adults should be allowed to make there own choices and the extra revue is fantastic ;-)

only thing that has changed is that the state makes money off of it rather then spending money fighting it
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Exactly, it can be psychologically addictive, as can chocolate, or masturbating, or anything lol but it doesn't produce a chemical addiction the way other things do, like say cigarettes and alcohol. You may kick the sheets a bit after stopping if you're psychologically addicted, but you won't have actual physical withdrawal.

i don't think people get bed sweats when they stop eating chocolate.

although i've only heard one other person say that its happend to them.

i honestly thought i had pissed myself the first time it happend, till i realized my hair was soaking wet too.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

Except for my 65 year old mom. I've persuaded her to try edibles to help many of her ailments. She sleeps a lot better now. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.