DeadLifts and Sore Back?

I apologize in advance if there's already a topic similar to this.

I was wondering, if my lower back is a little sore from doing deadlifts, does that mean my form is incorrect? I've had people check my form and say it's fine. But one of my fellow fitness friends say if I am feeling any soreness in my lower back, that I am doing something wrong and it's probably my form.

I'm curious as to what others think. Thanks!

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    If your back is hurting from deadlifts there is something wrong with your form/the muscles you are engaging to complete the lift.
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    If your back is hurting from deadlifts there is something wrong with your form/the muscles you are engaging to complete the lift.

Thank you, I guess it's the muscles I'm engaging! I'm going to have to try to be more conscious with that!
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    It most likely is...

The best advice I could give you for dead lift form is to check out Elliott Hulse on Youtube, he has a lot of corrective dead lift video's and a four part video series called the science of dead lifting where he goes into great detail about all aspects of the lift.. a must see if you like to dead lift!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Good to know! (No problems yet but it's early yet.)
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member

If your back /hurts/, then you are probably doing something wrong. If you back muscles are a bit sore, that's completely normal. The deadlift is a back exercise (primarily legs, but back as well). You have to contract your lower back muscles to keep your spine in extension. This is going to lead to your lower back muscles feeling sore because, you know, they're a part of the lift.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Sometimes, no matter how good my form is, my back will hurt. If I try to increase my weight too quickly, do some other back exercises, etc...my back will hurt while I am doing deadlifts. I deload and check my form and make sure everything is good....but the back is still sore sometimes.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    I pulled a muscle in my back 2.5 years ago doing a ton of dead lifts during a boot camp class. It was awful and took forever to recover from. My guess was my form got sloppy as I got tired.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Depends. It could be your erector spinae being engaged from the lift. That from what I understand is acceptable back soreness as those are the muscles used during dead lifts.
  • trisha986

If your back /hurts/, then you are probably doing something wrong. If you back muscles are a bit sore, that's completely normal. The deadlift is a back exercise (primarily legs, but back as well). You have to contract your lower back muscles to keep your spine in extension. This is going to lead to your lower back muscles feeling sore because, you know, they're a part of the lift.

It doesn't hurt, just a little sore. Doesn't really bother me unless I twist and feel some soreness. It's such a confusing topic because like you said, it's a back exercise. Yet when I mention it to some people, they say I'm doing something wrong. Confusing!!
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    If it is just a little sore, then it is fine. I expect mine to be a bit sore the day after deadlifts, it does work the lower back. Now, pain and extreme soreness for days is not normal.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    One problem is that, with light to medium weights, your form could _look_ ok, but you still might not be engaging the right muscles in the right way. One thing my trainer did was to put her hand in various locations on my back when I was doing DLs with moderate weights so that she could tell what muscles I was engaging.
  • trisha986
    It most likely is...

The best advice I could give you for dead lift form is to check out Elliott Hulse on Youtube, he has a lot of corrective dead lift video's and a four part video series called the science of dead lifting where he goes into great detail about all aspects of the lift.. a must see if you like to dead lift!

I do enjoy it very much! But hearing I could possibly be doing it wrong made me worry I shouldn't do too much. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check him out!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Broadly speaking, if it's in the spine then you have a problem. If it's the muscle, it's just DOMS like you would get in your thighs from squats. You have to gauge that yourself. Have a look at a muscle diagram and work out where the pain's coming from. I get back pump sometimes when I do higher reps of BORs and RDLs.
  • Bethany0214
    Bethany0214 Posts: 36 Member
    A mild soreness isn't usually an indicator of bad form. You would feel it pulling in your back when you are lifting if you are doing it incorrectly. Another thought may be that your weight is too high. Sometimes that can throw off your form without realizing it.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Could you post a video on youtube and ask for a form check? There are more than a few people on here who can provide feedback. If you don't want to do it in the forums, you can ask your friend list to critique it.

Just some guesses as it could be any of these things:

1) you may be rounding your shoulders and not locking out form with your shoulders back at the beginning of the lift;
    2) you may be rounding your lower back either before the lift or right at the beginning of the lift;
    3) you aren't sufficiently engaging your hamstrings and glutes.
    4) you aren't locking out the lift at the top of the lift;
    5) you are attempting a sumo/regular deadlift hybrid. How far apart are your feet? A too wide stance will keep you from pulling your shoulders back and will also create a greater distance from the ground to the top of your lift that could impact your back;
    6) you are attempting the lift with your feet too far away from the bar. The bar should roll up your legs or be very close to it all the way to the top of the lift;
    7) you're wearing a shoe with too much lift in the back. Flat flat flat shoes or barefoot.

Any one of these can cause back pain. Minor adjustments to form can make a big difference.
  • trisha986
    One problem is that, with light to medium weights, your form could _look_ ok, but you still might not be engaging the right muscles in the right way. One thing my trainer did was to put her hand in various locations on my back when I was doing DLs with moderate weights so that she could tell what muscles I was engaging.

I guess what I lift could be considered light to medium. Right now I lift 50 lbs (quarters on each end). But I guess for everyone heavy/medium/light could be considered something different.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member

It doesn't hurt, just a little sore. Doesn't really bother me unless I twist and feel some soreness. It's such a confusing topic because like you said, it's a back exercise. Yet when I mention it to some people, they say I'm doing something wrong. Confusing!!

If it is sore for a couple days like your other muscles you work out, then it might just be a normal sore muscle. But if your back hurts longer than your other muscles are hurting.....for days or weeks then you might be doing something wrong. I think some people might not know the difference between normal sore and injured sore.
  • trisha986
    Could you post a video on youtube and ask for a form check? There are more than a few people on here who can provide feedback. If you don't want to do it in the forums, you can ask your friend list to critique it.

Just some guesses as it could be any of these things:

1) you may be rounding your shoulders and not locking out form with your shoulders back at the beginning of the lift;
    2) you may be rounding your lower back either before the lift or right at the beginning of the lift;
    3) you aren't sufficiently engaging your hamstrings and glutes.
    4) you aren't locking out the lift at the top of the lift;
    5) you are attempting a sumo/regular deadlift hybrid. How far apart are your feet? A too wide stance will keep you from pulling your shoulders back and will also create a greater distance from the ground to the top of your lift that could impact your back;
    6) you are attempting the lift with your feet too far away from the bar. The bar should roll up your legs or be very close to it all the way to the top of the lift;
    7) you're wearing a shoe with too much lift in the back. Flat flat flat shoes or barefoot.

Any one of these can cause back pain. Minor adjustments to form can make a big difference.

I like to wear Converses (chucks) for leg days. Thanks so much for all these tips! I guess I'll keep asking others to form check since I know I'll procrastinate on the YouTube video, haha
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    Bump to remind me to check out Elliott Hulse :)
  • trisha986

If it is sore for a couple days like your other muscles you work out, then it might just be a normal sore muscle. But if your back hurts longer than your other muscles are hurting.....for days or weeks then you might be doing something wrong. I think some people might not know the difference between normal sore and injured sore.

Thats what I was worried about! Since I have a pretty high pain tolerance, I was worried if maybe I was mistaken for sore instead of pain. Its only sore for about a day or two then feels fine. I've pulled a groin muscle before so I know what a injury feels like. Man did that hurt! And hurt for a couple of weeks. :sad: