Office Pet Peeves

Options
13»

Replies

• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Talking over me and therefore not listening to what I say. Drives me nuts!

^^This. If someone tries to talk over me I simply ignore them.

I know exactly who is coming down the hallway to my office by the sound their high heels make on the floor. (I work with 4 ladies) Please get some shoes that don't clomp...please! Clomp clomp, clomp, those shoes might be fashionable but you shouldn't sound like a horse when you walk.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the annoying co-worker in my office is me. I talk to myself (or rather yell at the computer) constantly. I listen to podcasts all day (through earbuds) and make outloud comments or laugh.

Many, many, many years ago I used to work with a woman that was afraid to sit on the toilet seat in the ladies room, so she was squat and pee all over the seat. I hated her!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've gotta post again here because this thread's totally giving me flashbacks from past jobs and insane coworkers :-D

I worked with a woman (in a mental health clinic) who would call her husband, and receive calls from her husband, at least twenty times per day and she spoke extremely loud and in "baby talk" to him and called him Daddy. "I love you Daddy" was something I heard at least 60 times per day. No joke. This woman was in her late 30's, wore her hair in pigtails and chose to wear scrubs with cartoon characters on them. No one else in her position wore scrubs and there was no reason she needed to (didn't work hands on with clients, didn't dispense medication, didn't even clean anything as part of her job).

The same woman sang loudly to most songs on the radio, causing the clinic to ban music. It was a state funded program and NOT religious based in any way and she started telling clients "Jesus loves you and so do I" and telling them she loved them and hugging them and she told every caller on the telephone to "have a blessed day" until others (I may have been one of them, along with two psychiatrists on staff) raised a formal complaint about it and she wound up getting fired because she refused to stop spreading the Good Word.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I worked with a woman (in a mental health clinic) who would call her husband, and receive calls from her husband, at least twenty times per day and she spoke extremely loud and in "baby talk" to him and called him Daddy. "I love you Daddy" was something I heard at least 60 times per day. No joke. This woman was in her late 30's, wore her hair in pigtails and chose to wear scrubs with cartoon characters on them. No one else in her position wore scrubs and there was no reason she needed to (didn't work hands on with clients, didn't dispense medication, didn't even clean anything as part of her job).

... that is intensely creepy. I mean, do your thing, but don't bring it into public, please.
  • mandella222
    mandella222 Posts: 114
    Options
    This lady that sits near me clears her throat incessantly, all day. :explode:

Oh my gaw! I know how you feel its irritating to the bone
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The guy who sits next to me talks on his phone so loud that I cannot hear a conversation if I am on my phone. If he's on the phone and mine rings, I don't even answer it. If I have to make a call, I generally take my phone to the supply room.

He also:

chews with his mouth open

makes that "t-ahhhh" noise after he drinks anything

listens to the radio with no headphones

eats ice and sunflower seeds all day long

throws his stinking apple cores and banana peels away in the trash can at his desk
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I know this is so petty and unimportant, and it doesn't even relate to anyone in my current office...but I'm kind of a neat freak, so it drives me nuts when people bring in too much personal stuff for their offices.

It doesn't even matter if it's a large, spacious office or a tiny cubicle...but enough with the framed photos, vases, fish bowls, potpourri burners, bags of chips, candy dishes, extra jackets, decorative chairs, electric toothbrushes, exercise equipment, snow globes, figurines, prescription medications, scented candles, 19 Miche purse shells in their original packaging stacked beneath your desk, pet rocks, healing crystals, etc.

And yes I have seen ALL of those things in coworkers' offices over the years.

It's your work space...not your apartment/home away from home...

:laugh:

I've worked with people like that. I still pass cubes that are decorated to the max. It's like a dorm room, not a cubicle in a professional setting. It doesn't bother me that much though. I used to have a colleague that kept three Diffenbachia plants in pots. The plants were each about 6 feet tall. It blocked most of the entrance to his cubicle, so he had a lot of privacy. After about a year of this, the supervisor asked him to get rid of the plants.

What bothers me are people who listen to music with headphones while they're working. It takes a while to get their attention. They don't always notice you standing at their cubicle and some get startled when they see you there. They obviously don't hear you walking over or making noise to get their attention. Then I feel like I'm bothering them from their music. Might get flamed for this, but listening to music when you're working seems unprofessional. There are lots of other occasions where you can listen to music, but during core work hours? I work in a very conservative profession. It's not some creative field either.

Oh I totally agree with you. If your office environment allows music from speakers at a reasonable volume then I see no problem but I think headphones are pretty weird and unprofessional honestly. I've never worked anywhere that allowed them. Although I did work in a social service agency where everyone blasted music in their offices...luckily the walls were almost totally sound proof for client confidentiality but when anyone opened their door you got a taste of Bob Marley, Dolly Parton, Kiss, or Crystal Castles (mine) coming out.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    The guy that sits beside me wears the worst cologne ever created. It stinks up the entire office. Bonus points for when he sprays it during the lunch hour.

The guy in front of me eats a mug full of ice cubes all day long.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    OMG, I can't believe I forgot the stompers. The people who have to stomp when they walk. We call them frankenstein. Drives me freakin' crazy!!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This lady that sits near me clears her throat incessantly, all day. :explode:

I feel your pain. I used to have a colleague two cubicles away who did this. Thank you baby jesus, his section moved to the other side of this building and now I only have to hear him if I happen to run into him in the hallway.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me really appreciate my job. The one annoying person left. The rest of us work hard and laugh at random stuff all day. It's pretty sweet.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just hate the generic, every monday, every morning, every friday kind of talk.

Monday:
    A: Hi, how was the weekend?!
    B: It was good, you?
    A: Good, same.
    B: But didn't it go quickly!
    A: Yeah, crazy!

Friday:
    A: Gosh that week went quickly
    B: Not as quickly as the weekend will!

DO PEOPLE HAVE NO CONCEPT OF TIME?!!

Just irritates me.

Along with asking what I've been doing or how I am, when they probably don't care about the answer, then decide not to listen.

They're great people but jeez, mix it up a little. I'm just glad they're not as gross as some your colleagues.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    What about the shufflers? The people who are too lazy to pick their feet all the way up when they walk!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The over caffeinated engineer who runs through the halls with his cup of coffee sloshing about and butting into conversations because he thinks his issue is far more pressing. Seriously...ever heard of personal space? Or manners?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    People who stand at your cubicle even though they can see you're on the phone. They just wait and wait. What part of "I'm on a work call now and will talk to you later" don't they understand?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    And... her most delightful habit... talking on her cell phone while using one of the stalls in the bathroom. :huh:

Bathroom phone conversations are my #1, all-time office pet peeve. I respond to those people by sitting in the stall next to them flushing the toilet repeatedly so they can neither hear nor be heard. I realize it's a waste of water. I'll feel bad about it later, but aklsjdlkajsdasd.

Another office pet peeve: whistling. WHY ARE YOU WHISTLING IN THE OFFICE? Stop. Whistling. Stop it.

I used to work at Macy's and there was this lady that was on her cell phone in the stall next to me. It was obvious that she wasn't going to shut up so I knocked on the wall and loudly said, "can I flush yet??" She got super embarrassed and told the person that she was going to call them back.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    And... her most delightful habit... talking on her cell phone while using one of the stalls in the bathroom. :huh:

Bathroom phone conversations are my #1, all-time office pet peeve. I respond to those people by sitting in the stall next to them flushing the toilet repeatedly so they can neither hear nor be heard. I realize it's a waste of water. I'll feel bad about it later, but aklsjdlkajsdasd.

Another office pet peeve: whistling. WHY ARE YOU WHISTLING IN THE OFFICE? Stop. Whistling. Stop it.

I used to work at Macy's and there was this lady that was on her cell phone in the stall next to me. It was obvious that she wasn't going to shut up so I knocked on the wall and loudly said, "can I flush yet??" She got super embarrassed and told the person that she was going to call them back.

That is Fantastic!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I second the whistling thing. To me, whistling is like nails on a chalkboard, but even if it wasn't, I don't think it is appropriate for the office.

I once worked with the most negative woman on the planet. She complained about everything, all day, every day. It was very annoying.

Recently I had to share an office with someone who chewed like a cow, burped regularly, and let his garbage overflow.

Regarding headphones: when I need to concentrate on something I will put them in to drown out the conversations and teleconferences around me - it makes me more efficient so I don't know why that is unprofessional. I let my admin assistant use them whenever she wants so that she can concentrate better too. Mind you, we face the door to our office so if someone comes in to talk to us we see them coming and take them out. We also keep the volume low enough that if one of us needs to get the other's attention we can do that without having to yell.

ETA: I also had a coworker once who clipped her nails at her desk. EW! Not only is the sound distracting, but who knows where those things are flying! NOT work appropriate!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Awesome!! Going to remember that!
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I might, just maybe, have once faked a huge, juicy, giant fart noise just before I split out the door in response to a stall-talker who had been unfazed by the flush.