Portions of vegetables?

yoghurtand
yoghurtand Posts: 119
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Okay, so I'm trying to rule my plate more by what looks right for the size of the plate, not just how much it weighs. However, I'm running into a few problems with this. For example, 80g of peas (one portion) has only 54 calories and looks such a pathetic amount on the plate. For me, a portion would be 200g or so (peas are my favourite vegetable). And for salads, I typically eat one or two bags of leaves (25-50 calories), not half of one (13), as is suggested. Is it okay to do this? I've always had issues with being able to eat a tonne of food and I'm trying to shrink the capacity of my stomach so is doing this hindering me?

Replies

• Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Since you have 19kg to go, I would first try sizing the portion according to your calories counting - so make them so they simply fit into your plan, even if its 200grams. I think just switching from huge portions of bad stuff to a little bigger portions of good stuff is a serious first step and you should first concentrate on that, then slowly maybe lower the portions:)
  • booboomagoo
    booboomagoo Posts: 28 Member
    I think as long as you're staying in your calorie goals, having 2 servings of peas or salad or whatever is just fine.
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    It's better to over eat on vegetables than on bad stuff. Keep doing what your doing. Take baby steps. As Black_Swan said it's a good first step. You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liliane
  • I wouldn't deprive myself of low calorie, high volume foods (i.e. vegetables) - it's the high calorie, low volume + water content foods you want to restrict (i.e. processed junk). Two portions of peas is not really a big deal, calorie wise, but will help you fill up,

Have you heard of Volumetrics? This site will explain it much better than I can : ) http://www.webmd.com/diet/volumetrics-what-it-is
  • Black_Swan - I totally agree. This is a process and a journey, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I definitely think the shift from processed fast food to 200g+ of healthy raw salad is TOTALLY fine. :) Take it in babysteps and know that it gets easier overtime and all these little changes will eventually become second nature.

Also, keep in mind that if you truly fill yourself up on 200g+ of salad, you'll be properly full and sated for hours which will prevent you from eating something else that may not be as healthy 45 minutes later. So eat away on the veggies!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Since you have 19kg to go, I would first try sizing the portion according to your calories counting - so make them so they simply fit into your plan, even if its 200grams. I think just switching from huge portions of bad stuff to a little bigger portions of good stuff is a serious first step and you should first concentrate on that, then slowly maybe lower the portions:)

ITA
  • ljbouse
    ljbouse Posts: 129
    i agree with everyone. it is eating double portions of french fries or or other high calorie, high fat foods that you want to avoid. if you want to double up on your peas or salad and you can stay with in your calorie goal for the day....go for it.
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    if the way it looks on the plate bothers you use a smaller plate....the visual affect may help but i totally agree with all the other posts..you arent hurting your self eating salad and peas....its the high fat no good foods that you need to avoid...you are doing great....keep up the good work. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.