thinking of joining a gym need help !!

Options
(1) how long should i stay at the gym for being a noob
(2)what are the best machines for burning calories fast
(3)is there any one to tell you how to use the machines
(4)do people stare you out of it or do people even watch what you are doing

i know my questions are probability stupid but im kinda scared about joining a gym coz im a big guy and a lot of people i see on tv in the gym are really fit . thanks for the help :wink:

Replies

• AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    1) Start out with what you're comfortable with. If it's 10 mins on a treadmill at 2 mph, that is fine. It's a lifestyle change. You have the rest of your life to increase time and speed.

2)You probably don't want to start with the best machines. The elliptical machines burn the calories, but they put a hurting on you. I'd recommend starting with a treadmill.

3)Yes. Almost all gyms have a staff. If you don't know how to use a machine, walk up to the desk and ask for help.

4)If you're a sexy woman wearing yoga pants, I'd probably be watching you. As for us guys, I don't think anyone is going to watch you much, unless you're sporting a 6 pack and 22 inch biceps.
  • DreamOfMina
    Options
    It depends on the gym you join, really. Some are geared more towards beginners, some are geared more towards serious power builders.

There's no set time for a beginner to be in the gym. Maybe it's not so much a matter of time / minutes but more how tired /sweaty you are. You're not really working out until the workout becomes difficult. You also don't want to overdo it. It all depends on how out of shape you are. I would say half an hour is reasonable for anyone though.

Ellipticals and treadmills are good for people who are just trying to burn calories. Don't do the stationary bike - it's easy to get carried away, which isn't good for a beginner.

There should be people available to help you learn how to use a machine. Any staff member should help you.

People might look at you a little, but most people are just doing their own thing. Try taking a tour of the gym first to see how comfortable you'd be working out in front of the other clients. Planet Fitness is geared towards beginners and has a "no judgment" policy. Nobody is allowed to make anyone else feel uncomfortable or judged. It's actually a great gym for beginners. I'm a beginner and I'm at Planet Fitness. Planet Fitness gets a lot of heat for their "no lunking" policy and their discrimination of power builders, but honestly for a beginner it's a great place to go and it's super cheap. They have plenty of equipment too. If you ever outgrow that gym you can cancel your membership without having to buy your way out. I'd check it out if I were you, it's really helped me.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way and had the same questions before I went to the gym and I can assure you, don't sweat it just go.

1. I did an hour each day but I was pretty motivated and my trainer really helped me with a great low intensity workout that worked on my core and balance. Some weights but mostly body weight workouts. Simple things like stepping or sitting on boxes and body weight squats, things you can do anywhere.
    2. I never stopped with weight and floor workouts but as I got more efficient at the floor work I started on a recumbent bike for the remainder of my hour to strengthen my legs and knees as continued to build my core. Then went to the upright and elliptical and now a treadmill.
    3. Most gyms have someone happy to show you how to use equipment. There are usually pretty good instructions on most machines if you feel adventurous.
    4. Nobody cares what you look like, you are at the gym and that is all that matters.

Go to the gym and start working out it will be the best decision you can make.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    (1) how long should i stay at the gym for being a noob
    (2)what are the best machines for burning calories fast
    (3)is there any one to tell you how to use the machines
    (4)do people stare you out of it or do people even watch what you are doing

i know my questions are probability stupid but im kinda scared about joining a gym coz im a big guy and a lot of people i see on tv in the gym are really fit . thanks for the help :wink:

1. for as long as it takes you to complete your full body strength routine
    2. who cares? do what you enjoy instead of chasing a burn
    3. yes, but they expect some remuneration in return.
    4. yes, and then they will come and post a thread right here in the forums complaining about or mocking you, probably both.