Ladies what do you do that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'd I'm hungry I eat. Some may dispute ot but you really are burning more calories during this Time so your body needs more. This does not mean eat twice as much but if you crave a sweet then go for it and don't sweat the small stuff. This time thankfully only happens once a month so one or two days of going over your calories won't hurt your goals. I myself have been having a tough time of it this month and tonight I am going over because I didn't get a lot of exercise in but I am still hungry so I'm having a snack. Also, up your water.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Once every 4-5 months, I get cramps SUPER bad (I get cramps every month, but every so often, one of the months is way worse than the others). Exercising during that time is pretty much impossible. During those really bad ones, I actually don't feel like eating at all because I already feel uncomfortably "full" - like after over-indulging at Thanksgiving. I take ibuprofen and use a heating pad to try to dull the pain. I have skipped work so I can just stay in bed. I also *try* to drink a lot of water, with the hope that will help the bloating to pass faster, but it does make it hurt more right at first when I already feel sooooo over-full.

On the other months, when it's just "sort of" bad, I find that exercising actually helps me take my mind off the pain / cravings. I find that moderately challenging exercise is the best - so spin class or an eliptical machine is good. Running is too hard at that time, so I don't do that... and things like yoga are too easy and don't take my mind off the pain well enough.

As for the food cravings, I have food cravings most of the time anyway (like 28 out of 31 days/month - ha) so I do my best to budget calories for the end-of-the-day cravings that I know are bound to hit me. And sometimes, I just have to tell myself "tough luck" and not indulge... and going to bed seems to work pretty well for me. If I'm sleeping, I'm not craving! ha.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I find that hitting it even on those days of the month actually serves to reduce my hormone related aches and lethargy, so I try to suck it up and get 'er done even if I'm not feeling completely up to it. Once I get going, I rarely even have to dial back the intensity of my workouts and I always feel better after I'm done than before I started, so... there's something to be said for exercise as therapy!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I only crave the carbs and chocolate. When it comes to actually eating it, I'm already painfully bloated and can't physically eat much of it (so I guess that's pretty good most days.)

Last month I did yoga despite the ToM and I did pretty good, but this time I had to do some shopping the other day and man...I can't move...
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I usually give in, be lazy, take lots of Midol and sleep a lot and it goes away in 2 days or so... 2 days won't kill my months and months of efforts, so I don't sweat it.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I keep on trucking.

I find that if I don't get up and get moving I feel even worse. I may not go for an intense cardio workout, but getting out and taking a nice long walk with some music that I love helps a lot. Curling up on the couch just makes everything worse for me.
    I also crave carbs, but I just make room for the carbs I'm craving in my day and I'm good to go!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I take a Motrin and drink lots of water. I still do my workouts as usual, since moving around makes me feel a bit better. I'll sometimes have a treat if I've craving it, but I'm usually too bloated to want to eat much.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    I work through it. Exercise helps for me - by the end of a long hard workout any discomfort will be gone. Doesn't help the cravings though! I usually just give in to those. Having a couple bad days a month won't ruin my progress.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat like a horse! Try to keep workubg out but sometimes I just can't, so I sit around and fight the urge to eat an entire grocery store.
  • love2b3fit
    Options
    Ugh I literally get the same way, I just avoid my kitchen at all costs lol! Unless im making a protein shake I stay away from the kitchen, but I usually don't work out during that time because my cramps are just awful, ssso im usually just in bed relaxing with my laptop and some movies!
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I usually have one day where the whole diet goes right out the window. But the severity of the cravings gets less from one month to the next (and thus so does the severity of my cheating).

Try to satisfy the cravings with fruit for as long as you can hold out. Don't weigh yourself until it's over (no good can come of it). And trudge on.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i put on a new maxi pad and workout :p bloating and bleed ect not an excuse .. also i over eat in calories for 2 days of the 5 that iam on my cycle because i feel i need a bit more at that time instead of eating my 1850- i bump it up to about 2400 .. 2 days of over eating its np 4 me :yawn: :bigsmile: :yawn:
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I take a birth control pill that completely stops it. Lybrel, best thing ever!!!
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    I feel at my best and so powerful during it!!!

Its the 2 weeks before it that makes me wanna eat everything in sight and I get so sleepy :yawn:
    BUT even if i eat bad i keep working out.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    On my period I completely eat an 80-10-10 raw vegan diet. My period lasts from 3-4 days and eating in this manner helps me feel energized, clear headed and not totally beachy (hehe) . I have a sweet tooth and so going HCLF for a few days really helps me not kill someone. I also keep it low sodium and drink all the water I can to reduce bloating!

Try it! Youtube: FreeleeTheBananaGirl or DurianRider

Some people live on that lifestyle, I use it monthly and it feels amazing for those 3-4 days!
  • demonsheep
    demonsheep Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I sleep. A lot. I usually lack the motivation to go to the gym, and I have to walk to class so I at least get the walks in, but otherwise I just try to maintain self control. Drinking water does help, and usually I eat something that I can eat a lot of- carrots, or something similar. I usually find myself eating a lot of popcorn during my TMO....and since I like kettle corn, it's not too bad.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I usually give in, be lazy, take lots of Midol and sleep a lot and it goes away in 2 days or so... 2 days won't kill my months and months of efforts, so I don't sweat it.

The worst advice possible.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I gain 5lbs, whine a whole lot and do really crappy in Martial Arts class.

QFT. :P that is exactly me too. Lol
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't get cravings during my period and/or moodiness (hubby is VERY thankful about that cuz his mom and sis are terrible for it lol), but I'll cramp for a few hours on Day 1. So, I take a Midol, wait for it to kick in and then go about my regular routine. I always feel better if I move....even if it's just 30 minutes of cardio.
  • amazinglyjae
    amazinglyjae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I pretty much die for the entire week that i'm on it. Gain about 10 pounds of water weight. Tired, bloated, back pain, boobs swollen and hurt. I struggle to stay awake during my workouts. Crave every carb in the world and cant ever seem to satisfy my appetite. With that being said, i give in about 2-3 days out of the entire 7 days. I move on and keep pushing. :)