Eating junk food?

Options
Please help me understand something. I was reading some posts where some people are telling others they will lose weight & that it's okay to eat whatever they want from fried food to mcdonalds everyday as long as they stayed at or under their daily allowed calories. It doesn't make sense to me. Can you really lose weight by eating 10 snickers a day? A Big Mac for all 3 meals? What about the amount of fat, carbs, sugar, sodium? These are all contributing factors aren't they? Isn't the goal to lose weight by eating healthier? I could probably eat crusty French bread all day long but I'm pretty sure my butt wouldn't appreciate it. Am I wrong? Can I use up 1/2 my calories a day eating just bread? Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. Maybe I'm a food snob but I feel guilty eating a snack size almond joy.

I believe we all deserve the "cheat" days. Mine is eating out once a week having whatever I want. I can't do a Big Mac or Whopper but fried pickles are the bomb. I started MFP almost 2 months ago and I am most proud of my healthy living. I need to lose 70 more pounds and these first 12 pounds were difficult little suckers to get rid of but I am okay with that because I feel wonderful. I am just fine not eating a big fat juicy Whopper that I can have my way. Actually they aren't fat or juicy but yummy none the same. I loved them. Sometimes the craving is almost unbearable but I am so proud of myself when the craving ended and I didn't have to wipe ketchup and mayo off my face. I'm a pouter. I pout. I get over it.

So I ask again. Would I lose weight if I ate me a few Whoppers a week? Hmmm, come to think of it, I probably would. From throwing from all that fat now clogging my arteries.

Replies

• lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Are you asking because you are interested in losing weight this way, or are you really just ranting? Do you want a burger but think you can't have it? Or are you happy not eating "junk" (burgers aren't junk!) and think your way is the best way?

I'm curious about what other people do. I love heavy meals with dessert. I hate eating lots of small, "healthy" meals but I know that way works for many. I've lost weight recently eating nothing but brownies and pizza for days (I was broke) but I was in caloric deficit so that's why I lost.
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. You may be able to lose weight like that but you will most likely not maintain the weight loss. You will also physically feel terrible and it would be difficult to build lean muscle. Your food is your bodies fuel. To live at a healthy weight and be strong with lean muscle you need to fuel your body properly. The fastest and healthiest way I have found to do this is to eat just enough calories that you are losing 1-2 lbs a week. For me that magic number right now is 1500. I try to stick to clean whole foods 80% of the time and the other 20 % that is where you sneak in the occasional cheeseburger or cheat meal. I stick to a diet high in lean protein and low in complex carbs and fats. What you put in your body to fuel it is kind of like what you put in your car. Some cars recommend that you run premium gas. Yes, they might run on regular but will they run as efficiently as they would if they were being fueled by what is recommended.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Here's the most important thing you need to know: THE ONLY THING REQUIRED FOR WEIGHT LOSS IS A CALORIE DEFICIT (burn more calories every day than you eat).

It makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO DIFFERENCE what the food is that you are eating in terms of weight loss.

Now this doesn't mean that you should just eat anything you want, it's also important to hit certain macronutrient and micronutrient goals to make sure that you are healthy, but in terms of losing weight, it makes zero difference.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Here's the most important thing you need to know: THE ONLY THING REQUIRED FOR WEIGHT LOSS IS A CALORIE DEFICIT (burn more calories every day than you eat).

It makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO DIFFERENCE what the food is that you are eating in terms of weight loss.

Now this doesn't mean that you should just eat anything you want, it's also important to hit certain macronutrient and micronutrient goals to make sure that you are healthy, but in terms of losing weight, it makes zero difference.

This ^^^
  • rdsxfn
    rdsxfn Posts: 58 Member
    Options

+1

I agree with this.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am 14 pounds from goal and have literally ate whatever I have wanted. I have gotten McDonald's or Burger King, though if I want a burger I generally make it worth it and go for a Red Robin's. I have chocolate, or blackberry cobbler with ice cream and whip, on a constant basis. I eat milky way minis with no regret or worry. Why? Because I fit it in. Just as the others have said, for weight loss a calorie deficit is really the only major factor.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had cheesecake for breakfast today, some reese cups, chips.. A&W on saturday, eat cereal all of the time..

I've lost 70+ lbs, and am less than 20lbs away from goal. Its working out pretty well for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

This ^^^

This, but I will also add, because inevitably some hairsplitter will come in and make a big deal about it...UNLESS YOU HAVE A HEALTH CONDITION
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

+2

Unless there is a medical reason to cut out BK then don't do it. All foods in moderation.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Unless there is a medical reason to cut out BK then don't do it. All foods in moderation.

+3
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    For the last year and a half, I have eaten whatever I wanted as long as I was at a calorie deficit. If I had a craving for something, I ate it. I lost weight pretty much every week. This included plenty of "healthy" foods. It also included ice cream, cookies, chips and fast food at times. It worked because I could see myself doing this for the rest of my life. If I had completely deprived myself of the foods I loved, i would have given up.
  • TimTomakin
    TimTomakin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The most common problem with IIFYM is that people assume that means you can eat fast food all day and as long as you hit your macros and calories you're good to go. While it is technically true that all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, you need to ignore the broscience and use common sense.

Your goal should be to GET HEALTHY not just lose weight. Eating fast food and boxed manufactured food product all day will absolutely not lead to better health. They are incredibly high in sodium, trans fats, sugar and a laundry list of junk that you probably shouldn't be putting in your body on a daily basis. Plus, eating a greasy burger or two before the gym probably won't benefit your energy levels.

With all that said, there's no reason you can't enjoy those kinds of foods once in a while, so long as you calculate them into your macros for that day. IIFYM is a great way to keep yourself sane while dieting by allowing you to eat the foods you love and still stick to your overall diet. However, your goal should still be to eat nutrient dense foods that compliment your macro ratio and leave you more satisfied (a full meal of lean steak, rice, sauted spinach vs a single hamburger).
  • vsoileau64
    Options
    Well said
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I ate a Cadbury egg and Peeps before bed last night. Don't feel bad about it at all.

Besides, what makes something "junk food" anyway?
  • Wandering_1
    Options
    Thanks all for helping me understand. I have learned that what may be right for some may not be for others. We all have our own opinions and none are any better than the other. I'll be seeing a nutritionist soon and I'm pretty excited to see what she says. I am so happy to be losing weight and feeling wonderfully healthy. My doc is happy that my cholesterol levels are right where they need to be and I'm happy that I now eat grapes at midnight instead of the super size KitKats. I too had a Cadbury egg and it was a wonderful treat.

A big congrats to you all for your success.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The Twinkie Diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

The McDonald's teacher: http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/05/teacher-loses-37-pounds-after-three-month-mcdonalds-diet/

Both men lost weight eating what's generally considered and "unhealthy" diet.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What people don't seem to understand (or voluntarily ignore) is that losing weight does not automatically equal "getting healthy" (whatever the heck that means). If you ask "can I lose weight eating nothing but French bread," the answer is yes, you can, but you'll also eventually get scurvy. If you ask "can I have a healthy, functioning body eating nothing but French bread," obviously no. The first question is not the same as the second, and you shouldn't mix up the answers.
  • Wandering_1
    Options
    What people don't seem to understand (or voluntarily ignore) is that losing weight does not automatically equal "getting healthy" (whatever the heck that means). If you ask "can I lose weight eating nothing but French bread," the answer is yes, you can, but you'll also eventually get scurvy. If you ask "can I have a healthy, functioning body eating nothing but French bread," obviously no. The first question is not the same as the second, and you shouldn't mix up the answers.

Thank you. I'm here to lose weight but to also get as healthy as I can be and also teaching my kids to eat healthy. I honestly didn't know you can lose weight by eating McDonald's everyday.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Please help me understand something. I was reading some posts where some people are telling others they will lose weight & that it's okay to eat whatever they want from fried food to mcdonalds everyday as long as they stayed at or under their daily allowed calories. It doesn't make sense to me. Can you really lose weight by eating 10 snickers a day? A Big Mac for all 3 meals? What about the amount of fat, carbs, sugar, sodium? These are all contributing factors aren't they? Isn't the goal to lose weight by eating healthier? I could probably eat crusty French bread all day long but I'm pretty sure my butt wouldn't appreciate it. Am I wrong? Can I use up 1/2 my calories a day eating just bread? Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. Maybe I'm a food snob but I feel guilty eating a snack size almond joy.

I believe we all deserve the "cheat" days. Mine is eating out once a week having whatever I want. I can't do a Big Mac or Whopper but fried pickles are the bomb. I started MFP almost 2 months ago and I am most proud of my healthy living. I need to lose 70 more pounds and these first 12 pounds were difficult little suckers to get rid of but I am okay with that because I feel wonderful. I am just fine not eating a big fat juicy Whopper that I can have my way. Actually they aren't fat or juicy but yummy none the same. I loved them. Sometimes the craving is almost unbearable but I am so proud of myself when the craving ended and I didn't have to wipe ketchup and mayo off my face. I'm a pouter. I pout. I get over it.

So I ask again. Would I lose weight if I ate me a few Whoppers a week? Hmmm, come to think of it, I probably would. From throwing from all that fat now clogging my arteries.

Google the twinkie diet.

Can you lose weight by purely looking at calories? Yes. Should you? Probably not. Macros and micros should be taken into account. This means that once you've hit your minimums of those, it's fine to indulge in something decadent as long as you stay under your calorie allowance and you'll still lose weight.