calories on treadmill when out of shape

Options
i tried a "beginning" treadmill workout that starts at 3mph for 5 minutes and then goes between 4-5 mph, it said if i do this for an hour ill lose over 300 calories, it said the perceived exertion at 5 mph was 4-7 but for me sometimes it seems like a 9 or 10, i had to bring the speed down to 2.5 mph and take a few minutes break sometimes
i get really tired after even 15 minutes, and my heart rate is at 180 or more according to the measurement on the treadmill when i put my hands on the grip, i get extremely tired it seems compared to other people that i see running for a long time and they seem fine and not that tired and still breathing through their nose
am i losing more calories because im so out of shape compared to someone who is more in shape even if we are similar in height and weight?
the machine said i lost about 450 calories total, after an hour (i took a short break in between but total i exercised an hour)
im 5'1' and 150 pounds female
but i am very sedentary and dont have any muscle mass and very weak
in school i was the literally the slowest one in the mile run and took over 15 minutes

Replies

• leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor, its the best way to solve this issue.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Wherever you start is right for you. Try not to compare yourself to others because everybody is different. Do a workout that is challenging (but not overwhelming) for YOU, no matter what anyone says "should" be a good workout. For what it's worth, I've always found 4-5 mph to be a really awkward pace. It's just a bit too fast to comfortably walk but not quite fast enough to actually run. I have to skip straight from 3,5 to 5.5!

Treadmills tend to overestimate calories burned. That doesn't mean it's not time well spent - you'll start seeing serious improvements in your fitness if you keep working on it. Good luck! :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Get either a HRM or you can just use the basic equation of 100 calories per mile. That equation may be over or under slightly, but will be ball park to what you have burned.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    never compare yourself to anyone in the gym.

everyone has a different goal.

take baby steps and progress from there.

a better use of the treadmill is to do a HIIT style
    for ex..
    - warm up with a walk or jog for 60secs
    -sprint for 30 secs
    -repeat
    - start for about 5min in the beginning. then progressively move to 10, 15, 20 min
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I only use the treadmill to see progress. It's effort to return ratio is horrible for weight loss. I recommend the eliptical 75% of the time and treadmill 25%.