coca cola

Options
I need help! I drink at least 6 cans of Coke a day. I know I need to stop, but when I do try, I usually have three days of massive migraines to where I am throwing up. Does anyone have any tips or success stories they can share about how you stopped drinking soda??
Thanks!!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I drank about that much but I quit cold turkey about 2 weeks ago. I got the migraines for about a week and just treated them with ibuprofen and putting cold rags on my head to help ease the pressure. Once you get past the withdrawl stage, it's not bad at all, and I feel much better. You could also try switching to diet first then slowly weening yourself off.
  • spinndrift
    Options
    I was the same - give it up and embrace the discomfort as memory to avoid going down that route again.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I was the same as well..did great for a while and am no drinking coke zero......one thing you could do to avoid the headaches is slowly decrease the amount you drink. I am aiming for one can a day of coke zero with lunch or something. Or you could replace it with green tea (didn't like till i started brewing my own..sweeten with honey or stevia)
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    step down over a week:

Day 1 : 5 cans
    Day 2: 4 cans
    Day 3: 3 cans
    Day 4 : 3 cans (let your body get used to the lower level)
    Day 5: 2 cans
    Day 6: 1 can
    Day 7: 1 can

Day 8 : NONE

You can pop a tylenol or two this way and be ok. Good luck!
    Also, if it's the taste of soda you crave, whole foods has once made with Stevia, all different flavors, all natural ingredients and most no caffene.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I cut mine down slowly. Try subtracting 2 a day than 2 more than 1 etc. I still drink coke about 4 times a week. But I try to treat it as my dessert for the day. I also never order them at restarunts b/c they keep refilling and I forget how much I have consumed.

Cold turkey could be fine too I just present a different option. Good Luck!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Take a week and drop one can a day by the 7th day you will be on no coca cola. That should at least ease the headaches a little, I won't say it will get rid of it altogether. You could also subsitute a caffenated tea (hot or ice).
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What I did was not as painful for some reason this time....first thing in the morning when I get up....I drank a 20 ounce bottle of water....then I ate my breakfast.....I continued to drink water all day.....if my headache started....then I would drink a diet coke but only one....and the next day I would start all over....switching to caffiene free and then completely off all together....you might try unsweeten ice tea too.
  • mammasns
    Options
    I am having a similar issue with my addiction to Diet mt Dew. I also get the headaches when i try to stop. So I allow myself one soda a day. It keeps the headaches at bay, satisfies my craving for it. I drink a 16oz bottle of Diett Mt Dew throughout my day, and keep my water bottle with me at all times. It seems to be working for me, and just one of those bottles is way better than what I was drinking. I think eventually I will be able to give it up all together, but this journey is hard enough, the only pain I wanna feel is from my work out. ;)
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you can go see your doctor and get some flexerol or something. It helps with migrains and could help get you past that hurdle.
  • adavidson1120
    Options
    Thanks for the whole foods tip...I might try that today!
  • adavidson1120
    Options
    I think I am going to try to gradually cut back. Thanks for posting the 7 day plan! I just need to suck it up and do it. I really struggle with willpower, but I am determined to lose the weight this time!
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    try substituting tea. the caffeine is there just not the sugar. or coke zero. i know your pain. You can make it. It's just gonna suck for a while.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Diet PEPSI will cure ya ;)
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I weaned slowly. I started drinking small 4-6 oz servings of it with loads of water with meals, until I didn't want the coke anymore. Cold turkey never worked for me.
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You'll need to up your water intake a lot if you quit, just because a lot of headaches, even some of withdrawal headaches are caused by dehydration.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You have to understand your not addicted to Coca-Cola, Coke Zero, MT. Dew, or Ect it is simply the caffeine that your addicted to. Also there is a small thing to do with the blood sugar but essentially its just the Caffeine. So what do you do to make sure you don't get the headaches? Well simply figure out how much caffeine you are consuming a day and then get that caffeine from another source that is not a sugary soft drink. Then slowly decrease your caffeine intake but never have no caffeine it does serve some purposes but def not good to have a whole lot.

Other options for caffeine without the Calories - Diet Soft Drinks (don't like this one because it can be counter productive and give you cravings for the real thing) Unsweet Tea, Green Tea, Caffeine Pills, and so on
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! The stepping down plan and lots of water sounds like the best plan of action. I can not relate to the problem, but any substance that causes your body to have withdrawal symptoms like that is so unhealthy for you. Know that the pain is temporary and the result will be a much healthier you! Avoid switching from one vice to another. Although high test Coke has the calories, the diet isn't much better for you. Force yourself to drink water and after a while your body will crave it.