So Hungry Today

Options
Actually I have felt hungry for the last 4 days. Today I had a good breakfast, which usually fills me up, but then 1 1/2 hours later and I have now also eaten my sandwich which was supposed to be my lunch:-(

Its not my TOTM. I don't think I'm dehydrated as I have had a 750ml bottle of water in the last couple of hours. Every day feels like a real struggle this week. I feel like i'm on the verge of a binge & trying really hard to not do that.

Replies

• Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Stay calm, when it gets to lunch time maybe try and go for a walk. Look at how well you've been doing :-).

It's really hard when you are hungry but try and keep busy so you don't get fixated on the food (I find distraction is by far the best medicine for these feelings).

That said, I can't see how many calories you are consuming every day because your diary is closed but maybe you should try upping it slightly to try and avoid feeling hungry and provoking a binge?
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Stay calm, when it gets to lunch time maybe try and go for a walk. Look at how well you've been doing :-).

It's really hard when you are hungry but try and keep busy so you don't get fixated on the food (I find distraction is by far the best medicine for these feelings).

That said, I can't see how many calories you are consuming every day because your diary is closed but maybe you should try upping it slightly to try and avoid feeling hungry and provoking a binge?

Thanks for that - yes distraction is a good idea - I do have errands to run, so will focus on those. I'm on 1650 cals a day at the moment. I used to do 1200 (can't imagine how). I slowly increased a couple of months ago to get to 1650. I have been eating at 1650 for 4-5 weeks now & feel great - its just these last few days. I haven;t been doing anything different this week....just one of those weeks I guess;-)
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    There's no harm going up to maintenance calories for a week and then back down to the deficit calorie goal. You might feel refocused and less hungry. One week of no loss isn't a biggie in the long run.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's not a crime to eat .... just pick something healthy, filling and not Energy Dense.. Remember this journey is a marathon not a Sprint... It;s all about slowly changing your 'lifestyle and approach to food & exercise'.. slowly.... slowly catchy monkey (as they say)
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Actually I have felt hungry for the last 4 days.
    Every day feels like a real struggle this week.

First thoughts (as I can't see your diary and I don't know your goals) is this happened to me early on - I didn't understand the mfp method and I was targetting 1200 cals, initially I lost weight (water weight?), then it all caught up with me and i felt crap and didn't lose anything, when I started eating more normally I lost more, felt better, fitter, had more energy for exercise and didn't have the cravings.

I would make the follwoing suggestions:
    right now - have a hot drink and go for a walk, if you can go out and get yourself a nice salad for lunch (something filling but healthy like a chicken salad )
    later on - sit down a review your goals and deficit target make it reasonable (ie unless you are obese/morbidly obese don't target 2lb/week) something that you can adapt and maintain long term

also remember that you should normally be updating your deficit and calorory target every 5lb or so loss as your BMR changes with your weight

good luck and hang in there

sorry - just read your post update that you're working on 1650
    so have a nice hot drink then go and get yourself a nice filling lunch - give yoursefl a break -
  • ottmanfamily
    ottmanfamily Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was to bring in snacks...I used to eat breakfast and then nothing until lunch but water. That did not work out well. I was so hungry and then I would make up for it later with all kinds of snacks

I found that bringing pre measured snacks is helpful and by always having a glass of water in front of me, I dont want to eat my lunch until noon time.

I wish you success on your journey!!!!:smile:
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all. I'm not very good with snacks in the office - I just eat them because they are there. But Hot drinks definitely do help me, we just don't tend to keep milk at the office because no one else has hot drinks here (no fridge).

Thanks for all you motivation & help....I have a plan of action now:-) Going to have a lovely bowl of soup from the local cafe at lunch time & will get a skinny cappuccino to bring back to the office with me. That should do the trick.

I think I'm secretly hankering after a piece of chocolate cake (it has been niggling for a few days) - in which case I think I will just factor it into my calories one day this week & at least then I can get it out of my system & enjoy it because I have planned ahead.

My weight loss in the past has been very slow/sporadic. After increasing to 1650 cals a day - I have lost weight 4 weeks in a row. I think I'm just a bit scared that after making such good progress, I don't want things to grind to a halt like they have before. Although I guess part of making this a success is learning to have the odd treat without it turning into a full on off the rails chocolate fest:-)
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My weight loss in the past has been very slow/sporadic. After increasing to 1650 cals a day - I have lost weight 4 weeks in a row. I think I'm just a bit scared that after making such good progress, I don't want things to grind to a halt like they have before. Although I guess part of making this a success is learning to have the odd treat without it turning into a full on off the rails chocolate fest:-)

Brilliant work - reliable progress is a definite win!
    Part of making this a long term change in your approach to food and life is making sure that you do eat the treats when you nead/want them

I like my treats - my promise to myself is that I will admit that I need them - eat them - and log them accurately and honestly THIS IS NOT CHEATING that would be not logging

if you need it eat the chocolate cake - enjoy it :) and work harder int he gym for the rest of the week
    I try to look at my marcos and calories over the week, so that i can be flexible with myself.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bump for great solutions!
  • Hamlin22222
    Options
    hey, sorry to hear about u being hungry, I have lost a total of 12 pounds so far on my 1200 calorie diet I have found that when I have the starving phase I would ask myself are you really hungry? if yes eat a banana or an apple so if my mind said no to the fruit then I needed to distract myself. I would suggest when u go thru the hungry stage ask yourself to eat fruit or vegetables and if your mind says no then your not hungry and you need to distract yourself and if your mind says ok give me the fruit then eat the fruit. its tough I know even when I visualize goals being met and it is worth changing, some days I just don't care and I want to eat what I want and a lot of times I give in I am human, and I do try when I eat bad is portion size and then the next day I eat a little less calories I cut a couple hundred calories. I hope this helps ur not alone good luck .
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yep. Plan in the chocolate cke and enjoy it! In the meantime, you might want to assess how much of your calories come from protein and how much fiber you are getting daily. Both fiber and protein help you feel full longer :flowerforyou: