Looking for gluten free friends

2»

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Why are you looking for gluten free friends? Do you plan on eating these people at some point?
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Diagnosed with celiac disease in December 2013 after 43 years of agony.

I also have a sensitivity to xanthan and guar gums so eating the "gluten free" labelled foods isn't always an option.

I read somewhere that apparently gluten-free labels aren't necessarily true. If I recall correctly, in Canada, GF foods can still contain up to 5ppm and in the US, up to 10ppm. If you take that in to consideration, it feels a little overwhelming if you're trying to make sure you're eating food that isn't hurting you.

I spend a lot of time on celiac.com. There is a ton of useful information there.

I wonder if there is already a group here for gluten free eaters. If not, maybe we should create one?
  • WitchyKisses
    WitchyKisses Posts: 11 Member
    I'm looking for someone to help with a gluten-free diet. I got diagnosed with celiac disease and so far I haven't been able to figure anything out. Years of agony which I can't seem to fix.

And thank you WW_Jude, I will check out celiac.com
  • emilysmellz
    emilysmellz Posts: 85 Member
    Gluten free princess here! Never was officially diagnosed with anything, but after years of headaches, stomach pain and my body just generally being angry at me, I gave up the gluten & have been so much healthier & happier since!
    Almost 1 year out & doin' good.
    Feel free to send requests : -)
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    I eat essentially Paleo (grain, sugar and dairy free), and strictly low FODMAPS, which, for anyone interested, is this (from Stanford Hospital Digestive Health and Nutrition Center):

The Low FODMAP Diet

(FODMAP=Fermentable Oligo-Di-Monosaccharides and Polyols)
    FODMAPs are carbohydrates (sugars) that are found in foods. Not all carbohydrates
    are considered FODMAPs.

The FODMAPs in the diet are:
     Fructose (fruits, honey, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), etc)
     Lactose (dairy)
     Fructans (wheat, onion, garlic, etc)(fructans are also known as inulin)
     Galactans (beans, lentils, legumes such as soy, etc)
     Polyols (sweeteners containing sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol, stone fruits
    such as avocado, apricots, cherries, nectarines, peaches, plums, etc)

FODMAPs are osmotic (means they pull water into the intestinal tract), may not be
    digested or absorbed well and could be fermented upon by bacteria in the intestinal
    tract when eaten in excess.

Symptoms of gas, bloating, cramping and/or diarrhea may occur in those who could be
    sensitive to the effects of FODMAPs. A low FODMAP diet may help reduce symptoms,
    which will limit foods high in fructose, lactose, fructans, galactans and polyols.

More here: http://stanfordhospital.org/digestivehealth/nutrition/DH-Low-FODMAP-Diet-Handout.pdf

Yes! NO ONIONS OR GARLIC! NO APPLES, PEACHES OR PEARS! But I was gluten-free for years and still had horrible symptoms. Grain-free, same thing. I felt like I'd eliminated everything at one time or another, and nothing was working. THIS has changed my life and made me a MUCH happier gal.

Add me!
  • I just looked in the message boards for the very first time and found your post. I do have celiac disease, and have been officially diagnosed and gluten-free for over 10 years. I was sick and undiagnosed for about 3 years before getting to a good doctor who actually knew something about celiac disease. I still remember how strange it sounded when he told me I had celiac sprue. Celiac what?

For many years I felt very deprived from not being able to have things with gluten, and emotional problems led to bingeing on foods that were gluten-free but definitely not healthy or low fat. Thus the struggle with weight. As of today I have had 20 days of getting back on track and eating a healthy diet. MFP really helps in planning my meals to stick to 1500 calories a day.

I would enjoy corresponding with you.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    I have celiac sprue and if I eat the tiniest bit of gluten, like in chocolate where there is nothing said of gluten in the labels, i throw up and literally pass out and am miserable for hours, my symptoms are very severe :( i do not eat anything with traces of gluten. feel free to add me!

Are you positive you're celiac?? Your symptoms sound a lot like my children's. FPIES is very rare and most Dr's don't even know about it so it's mostly misdiagnosed.

emeraldeyes, I can't imagine what your kids went through before being diagnosed! I've never heard of FPIES before but just looked it up. I don't think vomit is a common symptom of celiac, since I believe our reaction occurs in the intestines but I guess it's possible. (I know if I get severe pain my body will do anything to rid itself of the offender!) Why does food have to be the enemy? sigh.

It was so hard :( we actually had two different dr's, on two separate ER visits, tell us that "it's impossible to be allergic to rice" this is while my 5 month old baby was in a coma while still somehow projectile vomiting. They said it was probably just a bug... Ugh, not a fan of dr's.
    I ended up spending god knows how long researching on my own until I came across another mother with a child with FPIES. I remember breaking down crying because it explained everything we had been struggling with, most of which dr's had been blowing off as colic, or refux, or gas, etc etc etc.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Hello, I am Gluten Free...not because of any diseases ...but because I am doing Atkins. Feel free to add me, anyone who's supportive and friendly! After 5 weeks on Atkins I feel much better in general. Would like to have Gluten free friends who understand the process!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    I'm embarking on a low FODMAP diet due to quite severe IBS and gastroparesis - finding it quite hard to make the transition as it seems everything has hidden gluten/milk/soy, but if it makes eating less painful, then it'll be worth it in the end. Feel free to add me!
  • scolloby
    scolloby Posts: 22 Member
    Hi

My husband has Coeliac Disease - spelling is slightly different in the UK. He is not super-sensitive, but is in agony if he eats gluten - that is the normal range of foods that are labelled gluten free are fine for him, the finest traces which are permissible and still can be labelled gluten free under UK law do not overtly affect him. Anyway, that clarified, I wondered whether you are are in the same category or whether you can eat normally labelled guten free products, as in the UK, Pizza Hut do a gluten free based pizza. Also here (I don't know if you have them in the US) Prezzo, Pizza Express and Bella Pasta all do gluten free options (which are according to him superior to the Pizza Hut version). I have to say that it's getting much easier to eat out as a Coeliac in the UK (including Chinese food), due to labelling and training, I presume it's the same for you too. As we are both vegetarians, this initially added some complexity to the Coeliac issue - but these days it's no big deal.
  • vivvy2012
    vivvy2012 Posts: 8 Member
    I would love to be your gluten free friend, i too have celiac disease went for years undiagnosed, been gluten free for 4 years have had very serious bout with food with which you would think would not have gluten in, and place were i have eaten at and been gluten. layed up in bed for a week not able to work and taking almost 2 to 3 weeks to start feeling like myself again,not pretty. So please add me!:happy:
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    gluten free through choice :)
    Wheat/gluten sensitivity, feel so much better without it!
    feel free to add :)
  • went gluten free because my ND thought it would be a good idea...a little gluten sensitive, no celiac though. finding it fairly tough ...:(