Unable to hit the calorie goal

Options
2»

Replies

• envyram
    envyram Posts: 13
    Options
    Can't or are afraid to?
    I set my maintenance calories too high and put on some weight. It's not the end of the world. I simply readjusted.
    Iit takes some fiddling but you havevto trust that if you need to you can modify it!

The answer certainly is "Can't". I even increased from eating 4 times a day to 5 times a day!
  • envyram
    Options
    Nope :( Just random guess on the quantity
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Can't or are afraid to?
    I set my maintenance calories too high and put on some weight. It's not the end of the world. I simply readjusted.
    Iit takes some fiddling but you havevto trust that if you need to you can modify it!

The answer certainly is "Can't". I even increased from eating 4 times a day to 5 times a day!
    you don't know what you're eating now, so arguing about not being able to eat more is silly.
    I eat twice a day. That's it. I still hit goals, because I plan ahead and know what I'm eating.
    You're using generic entries in the food journal.

you may be fighting against a problem that you don't actually have.

you're guessing how much you're eating, not weighing foods, using random recipe entries in the database.

...so you don't really know how much you're eating.

....but that's okay, because you're losing after just changing two little things. Stop freaking out about a number that you think you aren't getting to, since you aren't accurately logging, there's no reason to stress out about it.

You're losing.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Trog is wise. Listen to him! He also has an epic beard :drinker:
  • envyram
    Options
    you may be fighting against a problem that you don't actually have.
    you're guessing how much you're eating, not weighing foods, using random recipe entries in the database.
    ...so you don't really know how much you're eating.

....but that's okay, because you're losing after just changing two little things. Stop freaking out about a number that you think you aren't getting to, since you aren't accurately logging, there's no reason to stress out about it.

You're losing.

OK. I am not fretting over this. Just trying to understand this whole calorie counting better! I started to take better note of once I started losing weight when I just want to maintain it. When I understand this calorie counting science, I guess I will stop doing it :)

Though I do not weigh food, I still try to take some educated guess. I also allow a 20% error levels. Just learning (from this post) that it is still not enough!
  • envyram
    Options
    Trog is wise. Listen to him! He also has an epic beard :drinker:

:smile:
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Nope :( Just random guess on the quantity

If this is about using a food scale, then I highly suggest you get one (digital, trust me) and use it on everything except liquids. Use measuring cups for liquid. You will be amazed at what the actual serving sizes for some items are.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Though I do not weigh food, I still try to take some educated guess. I also allow a 20% error levels. Just learning (from this post) that it is still not enough!
    until you weigh your ingredients.
    create your own recipes and follow them exactly... all the time.
    weigh your servings, every time.. all the time..

...then the "science" behind calorie counting is pointless as your data is going to be incorrect.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Any reason why you want to hit the calorie goal? I think of it more as a guideline based on general information and an exact mark to hit each day.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Any reason why you want to hit the calorie goal? I think of it more as a guideline based on general information and an exact mark to hit each day.

It's a goal to aim for not a guideline. If you are significantly under the goal regularly then you won't be eating enough for your body's needs. The OP will probably benefit most from weighing his food and seeing if the problem he thinks he has is the actual problem he has :smile:
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ice cream solves all problems….one serving is 220 calories….

The story of my life!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    1. It's been said before, but get a scale and use it. Even a measuring cup/spoon is not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

^^So true^^

EXAMPLE: talk with people that make bread, I mean really good bread that the recipe can be duplicated and repeated. You weigh all ingredients because a cup of flour can vary in weight SIGNIFICANTLY.
  • envyram
    Options

That is because I am losing weight when I just want to maintain it ..
  • envyram
    Options
    Thanks everyone once again!! I will look at weighing the food !!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    All, thanks for the valuable inputs. I guess the fat is the missing portion from what I infer from the replies. I am a vegetarian and may be that is why this struggle.

I will try to add some good fats and try! Thanks again for all the inputs!

You can add oils, ghee, or lentils for a lot of calories. Any legumes or nuts. Milk products like yogurt or paneer as well. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ice cream solves all problems….one serving is 220 calories….

It does .. But damn sure it is going to sit straight as belly fat!
    really now...so that ice cream sandwich I ate yesterday for 170 calories to get to my 1800 calories (which is a deficet) is gonna make me fat????

Interesting...

/sarcasm.