Moms....How do you avoid eating after 8pm???

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't effect anything? I dont know why it is in my head that it is horrible to eat after 8pm?

It's a common weight-loss guideline.

One reason is that there's a *correlation* between people who eat late at night and being overweight. This is because late-night eating tends to be eating large amounts of food while watching television and/or partying late and eating pizza while drinking alcohol. It is not the late-night that causes the weight gain but rather the uncontrolled quantities. Someone who is used to snacking while watching television may very well need to make a rule like this for herself.

But under controlled calories and barring medical conditions, there is no reason to restrict when you eat. You should eat when it works for you and your schedule.
  • bLui_bella
    bLui_bella Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I eat my last meal at 9:30-10pm... It is nothing but protein though... I have a meal around 6-7pm that consists of egg whites and veggies or a lean white meat and veggies and then I eat again after kids are down. I understand the stress and demand that a family has for a mother... But as long as you are not cramming sugars and carbs (which turns into sugar) in then you will be fine... The protein does not keep your body awake like the sugars do while you should be resting... Yes, you can go to sleep after eating sugar, but you body is not resting as it should while you are asleep because of the "high" sugar gives you. Hope this helps!
  • shayla0302
    shayla0302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just eat whenever my daughter eats. I don't usually get home until 530-6 and I cook as soon as I get home unless we are having leftovers. I try not to eat after 9 because that's usually when I go to bed but just eat whenever you children eat.
  • bLui_bella
    bLui_bella Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't effect anything? I dont know why it is in my head that it is horrible to eat after 8pm?

It's a common weight-loss guideline.

One reason is that there's a *correlation* between people who eat late at night and being overweight. This is because late-night eating tends to be eating large amounts of food while watching television and/or partying late and eating pizza while drinking alcohol. It is not the late-night that causes the weight gain but rather the uncontrolled quantities. Someone who is used to snacking while watching television may very well need to make a rule like this for herself.

But under controlled calories and barring medical conditions, there is no reason to restrict when you eat. You should eat when it works for you and your schedule.

Totally agree with this!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I eat my last meal at 9:30-10pm... It is nothing but protein though... I have a meal around 6-7pm that consists of egg whites and veggies or a lean white meat and veggies and then I eat again after kids are down. I understand the stress and demand that a family has for a mother... But as long as you are not cramming sugars and carbs (which turns into sugar) in then you will be fine... The protein does not keep your body awake like the sugars do while you should be resting... Yes, you can go to sleep after eating sugar, but you body is not resting as it should while you are asleep because of the "high" sugar gives you. Hope this helps!

No, this is literally all bunk advice and should be totally ignored.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    the time you eat and how quickly you eat has zero effect on your body. eating after a certain time won't effect you at all.

how old are your kids? why can't you eat while they're eating? you mention that they have homework and sports, so i'm assuming that they're mostly school aged. they can help a bit around the house, can't they? you know, tell them you need strong me to help you while dad is working late.

I have 2 boys that are 6 and 7. They are picky eaters and rarely eat the same thing as my husband and I. So we end up eating at different times.

I love what you said....."tell them you need strong men to help you while dad is working late." I will start this tonight!

You think that because it's one of those dieting myths that won't die.

As for your kids eating different foods, so what? You can eat different foods at the same time. I still don't understand why you don't eat with them if you're concened about eating late.

I was a super picky eater and my parents often ate foods I wouldn't touch (I was VERY stubborn) so my mom woul dmake food for the adults and something small on the side for me. For the record, she also made me eat certain things, like vegetables. I had to eat a certain amount -- not a ton, but enough to get the nutrition in. It was the only thing I HAD to eat before leaving the table or having a treat.

I want to second this. Just because you eat different things, it doesn't mean you can't eat together. Just the other night, we all had different foods on our plates but we were still sitting down eating together. We have a 7 and 3 year old and we're lucky that our oldest has never been picky, so she's easy. Our youngest seriously doesn't like most carbs or processed foods and prefers to eat mostly only fruit, veggies and dairy products with the occasional sausage or hot dog thrown in. To make life easier, we do try to incorporate elements that everyone likes with the meal, but, eating together does give you the opportunity to have your kids try new things. When they are healthy things, we make our kids try at least one bite with each meal for the exposure. I grew up truly disliking most veggies and fish and a lot of other things. I've grown to like a lot of these things, but it's taken me some work.
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily eat the same thing as my kids but we eat together most of the time. I'll cook say, chicken and veg for all of us and add Mac and cheese or something for the kids. I also agree with other people that the kids can help tidy up at almost any age to help you out. Crock pots are great and pre cooking for a few extra meals helps save time too. Eating lots of fibre and protein at dinner will help keep you full in the evenings. Also sometimes a big mug of tea in the evening takes the edge off the munchies. You've got this girl! :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    the time you eat and how quickly you eat has zero effect on your body. eating after a certain time won't effect you at all.

how old are your kids? why can't you eat while they're eating? you mention that they have homework and sports, so i'm assuming that they're mostly school aged. they can help a bit around the house, can't they? you know, tell them you need strong me to help you while dad is working late.

I have 2 boys that are 6 and 7. They are picky eaters and rarely eat the same thing as my husband and I. So we end up eating at different times.

I love what you said....."tell them you need strong men to help you while dad is working late." I will start this tonight!
    i still don't get why you can't eat at the same time? I'm a mother if 2 and have to disagree with making them separate meals btw. Make a dinner and all sit down to eat it, if they choose to be picky that's their choice not to eat.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think the thing about late night eating isn't that most people are tired and they make poorer choices.

When I look at when I make the poorer choices it is always after 6 p.m....unless I have something ready to eat when I'm hungry.

I also have a family rule: Kitchen closes at 8 p.m. That means for everyone.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

i still don't get why you can't eat at the same time? I'm a mother if 2 and have to disagree with making them separate meals btw. Make a dinner and all sit down to eat it, if they choose to be picky that's their choice not to eat.
    How about you parent your way and let others parent their way?

If she wants to make them something different, that's her business. That isn't the issue here.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    seriously, how picky are we talking about? cuz i didn't know picky until my nephew refused to eat homemade mac & cheese because it wasn't spongebob mac & cheese. and the kid was staaaaaaarving.
  • megans1980
    megans1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We eat together most of the time. I am more referring to those night when my husband is working late, there are multiple sports, homework and so on.....and I am the one doing it all. Now that I know it isn't the end of the world to eat late as long as I'm still in my calories - I'm not gonna stress about it anymore. Just need to pre-plan and prepare the meals ahead of time :)

My kids still feel loved and aren't gonna be angry teenagers cause we didn't sit for dinner together 7 nights a week. I clearly did not word my question properly.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    We eat together most of the time. I am more referring to those night when my husband is working late, there are multiple sports, homework and so on.....and I am the one doing it all. Now that I know it isn't the end of the world to eat late as long as I'm still in my calories - I'm not gonna stress about it anymore. Just need to pre-plan and prepare the meals ahead of time :)

My kids still feel loved and aren't gonna be angry teenagers cause we didn't sit for dinner together 7 nights a week. I clearly did not word my question properly.

You are doing a fabulous job. Parent the way you see fit and keep doing what you are doing. Good luck OP! :flowerforyou:
  • megans1980
    megans1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    seriously, how picky are we talking about? cuz i didn't know picky until my nephew refused to eat homemade mac & cheese because it wasn't spongebob mac & cheese. and the kid was staaaaaaarving.

That exact kind of picky! My 6 year old will and has gone multiple days if we play the "this is it or nothing" game.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Yep, that. Unless someone isn't physically in the house, all 4 members of my family eat together every night. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, and I didn't truly comprehend "picky" until I had to cook for them. The 4 year old will eat a decent variety of foods, but volume is an issue with him - getting 2 bites of dinner food into his mouth is a struggle. The 2 year old would never stop eating if we let her, but unless it's made of primarily carbs, she doesn't want it. My approach is to make one meal for everyone, and try to incorporate at least one item that I know each of my kids actually like - that shouldn't be too hard, right? - and make my best efforts to get them to try to eat a little of everything...but if they won't eat what's in front of them and they're still hungry, tough cookies.

Family dinner is SO important. Time and time again it's been shown that kids who sit down to a family dinner more often than not will get into less trouble, will have better eating habits, will be more engaged with their parents...it's worth it. Even if you're making 2 completely different meals, try to make it a point to make them at the same time. (Edited to add that I just saw your comment that you're talking about exceptions, not the rule. Point taken :smile: . Sounds like you're doing great!)

With all that said...that's more parenting advice than diet advice :wink: . As so many others have mentioned, it doesn't matter from a diet perspective what time you eat within the confines of meeting your calorie and macro goals overall for the day (or, even, the week).
  • craftydoll
    craftydoll Posts: 17 Member
    Options

This! I have four children and with how hectic things can be, my main concern is making sure the kids are fed, clean and in bed early enough for school in the morning. Sometimes I have my dinner nice and early, and other nights really late. The time you eat your meals really has no effect. Calories in vs. calories out.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat a late snack every night and I am losing steadily.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

How about you parent your way and let others parent their way?

If she wants to make them something different, that's her business. That isn't the issue here.

i don't think anyone is questioning the OP's parenting, but maybe her time management skills. it's a really therapeutic thing to just sit down with your family for 30 minutes and just eat and enjoy everyone's company.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I think it makes more sense now for sure. You're doing just fine. We don't always sit down together -- even if we are in the same place. Do whatever works for you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I agree the not eating together every night/eating the same foods thing isn't a big deal. It just seems like it might make your life easier to at least eat at the same time, so you're getting that out of the way and freeing up some time for yourself.

I'm a vegetarian but no one else in my house is, so we eat different things all the time. It doesn't really take more time to make two or three things, though, if you keep it simple.