Avocados the devil's fruit

Options

Replies

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    All great tips! Also, when you buy them (I buy the big bag at Costco), make sure you dig way down and buy a bag of avocados that are hard and bright green. Then put them in your fridge. Every couple of days, take one out and sit it on your counter. That way you have avocados in various stages of ripeness and can enjoy a half every day. That's what I do:)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You can tell basic ripeness before you peel them by lightly squeezing them. If they give a little under pressure, then they are ripe. If they feel like rocks when you squeeze then wait. If it feels like you're squeezing your butt cheek then it's overripe. Get used to the feel of them and then you won't waste so many.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Avocadoskull_zps03cfa8da.png
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I only ever eat a half an avocado at a time so I cut in in half, sprinkle lemon juice on the other half, and put it in the fridge until the next day. The lemon juice helps to keep it from getting too yucky. The exposed part might still get a little brown, but it scrapes right off and it's a beautiful green underneath and not mushy. This actually works even better if you have a lemon wedge, squeeze juice from it on the lemon, and put the wedge in the container with the avocado.

THIS
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    All great tips! Also, when you buy them (I buy the big bag at Costco), make sure you dig way down and buy a bag of avocados that are hard and bright green. Then put them in your fridge. Every couple of days, take one out and sit it on your counter. That way you have avocados in various stages of ripeness and can enjoy a half every day. That's what I do:)

This is a good idea!!!
  • FatGuyNL
    FatGuyNL Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    HUGE avocado fan!

I scoop them out and put them in my protein/fruit shake in the mornings!
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The devil knows how to party.

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Good tip to remember is to keep the stone (pit) and put it back in the container with your mashed avacados.....it keeps the brown away:smile:
    I discovered this was a myth. All the pit does is reduce the exposed surface area, which is just as easily accomplished by plastic wrap laid snugly on top.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/10/keeping-avocados-from-turning-brown_n_1196633.html
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I only agree with it being the devil's food due to my strong dislike for its taste o.o
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This is a good idea!!!

that's what I do. Bought some last week just peeled the 2nd one today for my wrap...and it was just right.

I love avocados...add so much texture to my burgers, wraps etc never mind making guacamole...*drools*
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good tip to remember is to keep the stone (pit) and put it back in the container with your mashed avacados.....it keeps the brown away:smile:

Good tip, I did not know this!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    a24w2u.jpg
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You can freeze them too!
    http://www.wikihow.com/Freeze-Avocados
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    avocados-636x423.jpg
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    if they are ripe but you can't get to them right away, put the whole thing unpeeled in the fridge. They will keep a few days without getting too ripe that way.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Once cut or peeled, avocados will stay good for days in the fridge if you cover them in water. You can even do this with guacamole. Just kind of smoosh the guac down then put cold water on top. The high fat content prevents the water from being absorbed and it easily pours off.

Edit: typo
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can tell basic ripeness before you peel them by lightly squeezing them. If they give a little under pressure, then they are ripe. If they feel like rocks when you squeeze then wait. If it feels like you're squeezing your butt cheek then it's overripe. Get used to the feel of them and then you won't waste so many.
    '

that doesn't work for me, my butt cheeks are hard as rocks... :)

I get the big bag at Sam's and like has been mentioned, leave them in the fridge and take a couple out every few days to let them ripen. I'm enjoying one right now!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Once cut or peeled, avocados will stay good for days in the fridge if you cover them in water. You can even do this with guacamole. Just kind of smoosh the guac down then put cold water on top. The high fat content prevents the water from being absorbed and it easily pours off.

Edit: typo

Cool, never heard this one before.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    '

that doesn't work for me, my butt cheeks are hard as rocks... :)

I get the big bag at Sam's and like has been mentioned, leave them in the fridge and take a couple out every few days to let them ripen. I'm enjoying one right now!

To be fair, I was addressing the OP and her butt. :)

(not that there's anything wrong with an overripe avocado butt)
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sooo I was feeling a little creative and you guys had me craving avocados lol. I came up with this :) healthy fudgesicles!! Avocados, cocoa and protein :) mmmm

imagejpg1_zpsaa5fb17a.jpg