Veggies, Do you weigh them?

Options

Replies

• Musclememroy
    Options
    I dont really get the point in weighing 10 calories of lettuce but that is just me.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Some - potatoes, squash and other such calorie dense veg I weigh. Carrots, leeks, mage tout etc I guesstimate - 1 carrot, 1 leek etc on the basis that some days it'll be a bigger carrot than others so averages out. As a proportion of my calorie intake they are realtively small and as still have a decent deficit (7-800 a day) then I'm not fussed about 10 or 20 cals here and there. When my deficit is smaller then I may change my view.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I weigh potatoes and the like - but if I eat half a carrot I just log it as half a carrot and I never weigh lettuce and I don't even weigh most fruit - I just log a medium mandarine as a medium mandarine.

Sure, this may make my calorie total out by, say, 20 or so calories - but I really don't think that matters.

Some people like to be totally accurate to the nth degree - but more or less accurate has worked fine for me.

This - when i have weighed stuff i usually find that i'm overestimating the portion size and calories, not under, so if im cooking a biog batch of veg especially starchy veg for dinner and it's easy to weigh then yes, but for lettuce and salad i dont bother at all and not really for fruit as i tend to eat that at work where i dont have the scales.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Unless it's something starchy I don't even log them, obviously first thing to consider if I was to stall.
  • epigirrl
    epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weight it all...not so much for the calories but for the other macros and things I watch (e.g., fiber).
  • Jarahal
    Jarahal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Gotta weigh everything!
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I'm in too small a deficit not to.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I weigh it. I'm *kitten* at eyeballing portions and weights, even after doing this for over 2 years. My scale is the most-used item in my kitchen.

I've been laughed at for weighing veggies, especially things like spinach, but it's pretty much a habit for me now. I don't even think about it. I also find it interesting to see the different calorie densities of different veggies- onions, corn, and peas are surprisingly high. It's good for me to keep myself in the habit of weighing everything- keeps my logging thorough and honest.

I'm more or less in maintenance now, so logging everything is a big deal. I still try to keep a small deficit as a cushion for error- no more than 100-200 calories. Not a lot of wiggle room there, not even for veggies. ;)
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If it's a solid and it goes in my mouth, it goes on the scale.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh them because I'm still learning what a proper portion looks like, especially in fruits. Apparently my "medium" orange is about twice the size of the "medium" oranges in the database, so I've taken to weighing them in order to be more accurate. I get hungry easily, so being more accurate allows me to avoid eating too much by accident. I also suck at portion sizes...
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I only weigh the caloric-dense vegetables/fruits, like potatoes, avocados etc. The rest I estimate and look for database listings with lots of confirmations for accuracy.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It depends on how close I am to my calorie goal If I am nearly at goal, than everything is weighed. If I have loads of calories left over, sometimes I will have a salad with veggies, and not weigh or measure anything, other than the dressing on the side.

Its not a good habit though and I always weigh all the other food I eat.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I do think that when creating a 1000+ calorie deficit, you have a bit more wiggle room than someone creating a 250 calorie deficit. I would think accuracy matter much more when creating when you are trying to create a small deficit.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I weigh them because I used to shortchange myself on veggies with my estimations.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with lettuce and spinach...although just out of curiosity, I weighed my mesclun mix and discovered "82 grams" (described as two cup serving) is a lot more than two cups unless you pack it so tightly the leaves are squished. Always nice to have MORE FOOD for your buck.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Nutrisystem and they have a very long list of 'free' vegetables; the low glycemic ones: spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, etc. Their rules for these veggies are "eat as much as you want just make sure to eat your minimum of 4 servings a day". The other veggies, like potatoes, some squash,corn, peas, green onions, etc (shorter list) are considered "smart carbs" and are limited with NS because they tend to affect your blood sugar more.
    Having said this, I log everything! Even the 'free' vegetables. Like others, I track daily fiber and I get a lot from veggies. I also eat a lot of those 'free' veggies and it really helps fill me up. At this stage of my journey I have 14 pounds to goal and every single calorie counts right now.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I weigh my veggies
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with lettuce and spinach...although just out of curiosity, I weighed my mesclun mix and discovered "82 grams" (described as two cup serving) is a lot more than two cups unless you pack it so tightly the leaves are squished. Always nice to have MORE FOOD for your buck.

HA! I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago with a baby spring mix. I kept filling up my bowl on the scale to get to the grams it said were 1 serving. I was through more than 1/2 of the container by that point so I stopped and just logged 1 serving... it was only 20 calories/serving anyway... but holy cow it felt like I was eating that salad for hourssssssssss!! :laugh:

ETA: and to answer OP, I weigh everything I eat. Especially fruits- I was seriously underestimating my fruit calories by logging from the database... sometimes by up to 100 calories
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Unless it's something starchy I don't even log them, obviously first thing to consider if I was to stall.

This.