Not eating back exercise calories VS eating them back

Options
OK...so I do weigh by food and I do have a polar HRM. for 6 months I was eating back all my exercise calories which was about an additional 1500 calories a week and I maintained my weight...for the last 3-4 weeks I decided to NOT eat them back at the advise of my friends on here in hopes to drop some weight ....I have maintained the same amount of working out, not eaten the exercise calories back and no weight loss?

Based on Scoobys suggestions ..5'6, early 40's and 139 weight...I work at home and sit ALL day when not at tennis or crossfit...

Basal Metabolic Rate 1306 (BMR)
Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1560
Daily calories based on goal in step 6 1254 calories (to lose weight!!)

I realize I MUST not be accounting for all my food or something as logically im either under estimating, not accounting for all my intake or I have a medical issue...which I don't think any of the above is true...is there any evidence that NOT eating back the exercise calories and eating on *average** (I go by the week-not day) may not have any significant effect?

I would like to lose 10 pounds and at this rate-per the numbers above I can only lose 12 pounds in a year unless I go to a LOWER calorie count:( Suggestions other then working out a ton more?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I personally dont eat them back.

I just feel it defeats the purpose, plus many people over estimate the calories burned during a workout and it has them eat too many calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and based on what I see it doesn't appear you use a scale.

there are too many entries in cups, tsp, tbsp and there are quick add calories..those are the devil incarnite

generic - pan fried bacon 2.4 slices (8g) 103 calories??? 3 slices of maple leaf bacon uncooked is 220 calories and the weight is 80grams...once cooked it does lessen but that doesn't make calories less...

Saturday you logged 345 calories??? did you really just eat that or didn't log?
    Friday 885 calories??? incomplete maybe?

From what I can see you are probably eating more than you think. If you are weighing your entries are not accurate...you are missing days, using quick adds...which all lead to under estimating calories.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and based on what I see it doesn't appear you use a scale.

there are too many entries in cups, tsp, tbsp and there are quick add calories..those are the devil incarnite

generic - pan fried bacon 2.4 slices (8g) 103 calories??? 3 slices of maple leaf bacon uncooked is 220 calories and the weight is 80grams...once cooked it does lessen but that doesn't make calories less...

Saturday you logged 345 calories??? did you really just eat that or didn't log?
    Friday 885 calories??? incomplete maybe?

From what I can see you are probably eating more than you think. If you are weighing your entries are not accurate...you are missing days, using quick adds...which all lead to under estimating calories.

I do use a scale...I did eat under my calorie count all of Easter weekend...was under the weather...I don't have ANY missed days since I joined almost a year ago..quick adds are honestly usually straight tequila (no mixers...no carb/protein/)..thanks for the thoughts though..I appreciate any observations:)
  • TheSaoirseTree
    TheSaoirseTree Posts: 26 Member
    Options

The packaging for most bacon I've tried says about 70 calories for 2 slices. So 103 for 2.4 would be about right.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It depends for me. If I have a heavy day where I burn A LOT of calories, I will eat "some" back to bring my energy back up and because I earned it.

On lighter days, I don't eat any back because how many calories I ACTAULLY burned is too iffy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Are you using the TDEE method or the MFP method?

I ask because I see you mention Scooby's in your calculation.
  • helenrosec
    Options
    I don't eat all my exercise calories back, but it gives me that option to eat more if I want to. I exercise to get fit & healthy as well as to lose weight and will continue to exercise when I maintain, so again it'll give me the option to eat more if I find myself hungry.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    quick adds are honestly usually straight tequila (no mixers...no carb/protein/)..thanks for the thoughts though..I appreciate any observations:)

If you're regularly having over half your daily calorie intake in the form of tequila then that might be part of the problem tbh. Alcohol can hinder weight loss, apparently. And I'm guessing it's interfering with your nutrition as you're only essentially eating 600 cals of food daily regularly.

If not eating back your exercise calories made no difference to your weight loss then I'm guessing that's your answer. And in your case I would imagine it's a sensible idea to eat them back for the nutritional value.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I swore I would not eat back the burned calories, and then I started doing it... it was totally wrong in my case and here I go starting back up again. If eating them back was working than do that! Everyone is different so you have to do what works best for you. Remember don't lower your intake too low or your body will hold the calories!

As for calorie count I do not go with MFP entries unless I have checked to make sure it is right on the right amount. So like bacon, read the back of YOUR brand and go with that! Sounds like you have been though so keep it up!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i eat back my workout calories atleast 3 days of the week iam not losing any results iam gaining :laugh: but everyones different
  • janicelo1971
    Options
    I swore I would not eat back the burned calories, and then I started doing it... it was totally wrong in my case and here I go starting back up again. If eating them back was working than do that! Everyone is different so you have to do what works best for you. Remember don't lower your intake too low or your body will hold the calories!

As for calorie count I do not go with MFP entries unless I have checked to make sure it is right on the right amount. So like bacon, read the back of YOUR brand and go with that! Sounds like you have been though so keep it up!

Very true ..I just need to be patient ...thanks:flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

The packaging for most bacon I've tried says about 70 calories for 2 slices. So 103 for 2.4 would be about right.

Glad I don't have to eat that bacon then...blah...how thin is it? paper thin?
  • janicelo1971
    Options

Glad I don't have to eat that bacon then...blah...how thin is it? paper thin?

I also get the blah bacon...LOL...

Oscar Mayer/Bacon... "no nitrate or nitrite added except naturally occurring in celery powder and sea salt"....."Natural... Minimally processed/No artificial ingredients".

2 slices:
    Fat 5g
    cholesterol 15mg
    sodium 250mg
    total carbs 0g
    protein 6g
    calories: 70 (50 from fat)
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    OK...so I do weigh by food and I do have a polar HRM. for 6 months I was eating back all my exercise calories which was about an additional 1500 calories a week and I maintained my weight...for the last 3-4 weeks I decided to NOT eat them back at the advise of my friends on here in hopes to drop some weight ....I have maintained the same amount of working out, not eaten the exercise calories back and no weight loss?

If you do the exact same thing, and eat less, one would think you'd lose weight regardless of what calculations you use.

I would guess that if you swapped out the alcohol for food you'd start to lose. Alcohol effects the body a little bit differently than food. Try it for two-three weeks and see what happens.

Or reduce your calorie total by 100 a day and see what happens.

Sometimes I get stuck analyzing things when really I just need to do something. As long as the something isn't dangerous it is usually worth a try.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I personally dont eat them back.

I just feel it defeats the purpose, plus many people over estimate the calories burned during a workout and it has them eat too many calories.

Funny, I eat my calories back because to not do so I feel would defeat the purpose. Guess we have a different purpose.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Okay, just for the record, I eat back 1/2 my exercise calories but that's because I use the MFP recommendations.

If you're using TDEE method, then you're not supposed to eat back the calories according to everything I've read.

Nothing more to add.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Weigh in grams..... not ounces, cups, half cups, etc.....

I eat back some exercise calories each day butnot all. I seem to be doing fine!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It depends for me. If I have a heavy day where I burn A LOT of calories, I will eat "some" back to bring my energy back up and because I earned it.

On lighter days, I don't eat any back because how many calories I ACTAULLY burned is too iffy.

This. Generally speaking... if I'm hungry still...and I have exercise calories available... I might eat a little more... but all in all I try to religiously stick to my goal no matter what... unless say I've worked in the yard for 5 hours or something and then I'll eat part of those calories back so I'm not too far in the red.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Based on Scoobys suggestions ..5'6, early 40's and 139 weight...I work at home and sit ALL day when not at tennis or crossfit...

Basal Metabolic Rate 1306 (BMR)
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1560
    Daily calories based on goal in step 6 1254 calories (to lose weight!!)

I realize I MUST not be accounting for all my food or something as logically im either under estimating, not accounting for all my intake or I have a medical issue...which I don't think any of the above is true...is there any evidence that NOT eating back the exercise calories and eating on *average** (I go by the week-not day) may not have any significant effect?

I would like to lose 10 pounds and at this rate-per the numbers above I can only lose 12 pounds in a year unless I go to a LOWER calorie count:( Suggestions other then working out a ton more?

You did not figure TDEE. You calcuated TDEE for sedentary when you are not. TDEE is supposed to include your regular exercise. This tends to cause a lot of confusion here.
    If you figure actual TDEE,you do not eat back exercise calories.
    If you follow the NEAT method (like MFP or figuring at sedentary and adding in exercise), you should eat at least some of them back.

If you aren't losing, you aren't in a deficit for some reason. First place to start is your logging.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I log all exercise as 1 and don't eat them back, it's a mental game but also acts as a safety net if I go over some. To each their own though