Not eating back exercise calories VS eating them back

Options

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to figure out what works w/their own body. MFP calorie burn estimates are notoriously overestimated. So at first I just ate back my cardio (machines that give calorie burn) calories & I was losing about 1-1.5 lbs/week. When I tried to eat back ALL my exercise calories, either I didn't lose at all or hardly lost anything. When I tried to NOT eat back any of my calories, the same thing happened, so figure my body went into starvation mode (yes, I know that's a controversial issue...just telling you what happened w/me). So, for me, what works best is eating back just cardio. But when you experiment, give it a couple of weeks to make sure it wasn't just a one week fluke.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I personally dont eat them back.

I just feel it defeats the purpose, plus many people over estimate the calories burned during a workout and it has them eat too many calories.

How does it "defeat the purpose"?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I just feel it defeats the purpose, plus many people over estimate the calories burned during a workout and it has them eat too many calories.

If I eat 2000 calories in a day, and exercise and burn 400, but decide to eat back my exercise calories there is 400 calories less that I would have been in deficit.
    If I am in maintenance mode, maybe that would be the case but in a strict weight loss mode I want that exercise to be most beneficial.
  • DiaryofaMadFatMan
    DiaryofaMadFatMan Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my calories back. It somehow seems to defeat the purpose. I know of some people who lost weight doing it. I tried it for a couple of weeks I didn't lose a pound. So I'm back to what works for me.
  • josiedahling
    Options
    I don't eat them back. I have used the FitBit to track exercise and integrate it with MFP and it was increasing my calories by a LOT and I was eating those calories because MFP was helpfully adding those in every day and I and I was gaining weight and not losing at all! I stopped integration of it and stuck to a set amount of calories and do not go over it and I have lost 7 pounds so far in a month. So as much as I love my Fit Bit and I love that it integrates with MFP, it totally did not work for me. I think my metabolism just sucks! If I use any of the standard "calculators" for how many calories I should be eating a day, they NEVER work either. I have to really restrict my calories in order to lose weight. Period. It sucks but at least through trial and error, I know what I need to do. I have always been one of those people who doesn't look my actual weight, I look more muscular and solid and when I DO lose weight, you can barely tell. If there is one thing I have learned, it's that we are all very different. What works for one, might not work for the other.
  • snapehbp
    snapehbp Posts: 64
    Options
    I was loosing by not eating back, finally after a year hit a plateau. Joined a gym, trainer, increased working out and ate back calories... Nothing for months!!! Mfp people said eat more, keep eating back. Finally the past month the scale is moving again with me not eating back my calories.

For me, I can't eat back calories... I weigh my food with a scale, use HRM. I think it depends on factors: CW, height, etc because what people suggested didn't help.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

If I eat 2000 calories in a day, and exercise and burn 400, but decide to eat back my exercise calories there is 400 calories less that I would have been in deficit.
    If I am in maintenance mode, maybe that would be the case but in a strict weight loss mode I want that exercise to be most beneficial.

If MFP suggests 2000 calories a day and you choose 1 lb a week weight loss goal, your daily calorie requirement is 2500 calories to maintain weight. When you eat 2000, you are at a 500 calorie deficit. If you add 400 calories in exercise, your body needs 2900 calories (2500 + 400 in additional calories because of the exercise) and you are only eating 2000. So you now have a 900 calorie deficit instead of a 500.
    When you are looking at more aggressive weight loss goals or higher activity levels, this can be problematic. There are tons of reasons to maintain a modest calorie deficit.
    Drop those numbers to around 1200 - 1400 where a lot of women are, and you are looking at feeding your body 800 calories when it needs closer to 2000 or more.
  • thavoice
    Options

If MFP suggests 2000 calories a day and you choose 1 lb a week weight loss goal, your daily calorie requirement is 2500 calories to maintain weight. When you eat 2000, you are at a 500 calorie deficit. If you add 400 calories in exercise, your body needs 2900 calories (2500 + 400 in additional calories because of the exercise) and you are only eating 2000. So you now have a 900 calorie deficit instead of a 500.
    When you are looking at more aggressive weight loss goals or higher activity levels, this can be problematic. There are tons of reasons to maintain a modest calorie deficit.
    Drop those numbers to around 1200 - 1400 where a lot of women are, and you are looking at feeding your body 800 calories when it needs closer to 2000 or more.

and I would rather have a higher deficit than a lower deficit. That is why I dont eat back my calories from exercise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

and I would rather have a higher deficit than a lower deficit. That is why I dont eat back my calories from exercise.

What you prefer is up to you. Many prefer not to for a lot of reasons. But that is a world away from it "defeats the purpose"
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Okay, just for the record, I eat back 1/2 my exercise calories but that's because I use the MFP recommendations.

If you're using TDEE method, then you're not supposed to eat back the calories according to everything I've read.

Nothing more to add.

OK, so I guess I was initially confused...or just chose the best of both worlds...if I go with the NEAT-MFP recommendations of losing half a pound a week it tells me to eat 1200 calories a day...the Scooby method gave me a few more calories....however I see now I should NOT be eating my calories back if I go with the Scooby method....makes sense I was maintaining for the last 6 months...and it was just the last 2-3 weeks I now enter (1) for exercise calories burned and I don't eat them back....I guess im just jealous at all the others that can eat 1500 plus calories...I really just need to get off my booty and exercise more!! I also don't have a ton to lose, so I guess it will be slower...
  • RGv2
    Options

What you prefer is up to you. Many prefer not to for a lot of reasons. But that is a world away from it "defeats the purpose"

^^^Exactly...

Just to make the point again.
  • thavoice
    Options

Not really a world away. If a person busts their balls to burn 500 calories then why, if weight loss is your goal, why eat those calories back? Make that workout worth it to the nth degree.

but everyone does it different.I prefer not to, but some do. I know some people will want to burn alot in a day just so they can eat more.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Okay, just for the record, I eat back 1/2 my exercise calories but that's because I use the MFP recommendations.

If you're using TDEE method, then you're not supposed to eat back the calories according to everything I've read.

Nothing more to add.

OK, so I guess I was initially confused...or just chose the best of both worlds...if I go with the NEAT-MFP recommendations of losing half a pound a week it tells me to eat 1200 calories a day...the Scooby method gave me a few more calories....however I see now I should NOT be eating my calories back if I go with the Scooby method....makes sense I was maintaining for the last 6 months...and it was just the last 2-3 weeks I now enter (1) for exercise calories burned and I don't eat them back....I guess im just jealous at all the others that can eat 1500 plus calories...I really just need to get off my booty and exercise more!! I also don't have a ton to lose, so I guess it will be slower...

But with the Scooby method you did not include your exercise, you chose the sedentary option. Go back and figure with your correct activity level.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Not really a world away. If a person busts their balls to burn 500 calories then why, if weight loss is your goal, why eat those calories back? Make that workout worth it to the nth degree.

but everyone does it different.I prefer not to, but some do. I know some people will want to burn alot in a day just so they can eat more.

You are right. If weight loss is your goal, then you make sense. If being fit, retaining LBM, and maintaining after you get to your goal weight is of any importance, then you should be eating your exercise calories back.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If your exercise calories are about 1500 per week, that averages to 300 calories per day. It would take you about 2 weeks to notice a 1 pound difference if you decided not to eat them back. In 4 weeks, maybe a 2 pound difference. However, our bodies are not always perfectly linear when it comes to weight loss. Especially when you take water into consideration. I don't think that 4 weeks is enough time to determine that eating your exercise calories back or not makes no difference for you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Because if your weightloss goal is 1 lb a week, your deficit needs to be 500 calories less than what you need. If you are follow MFP, their calorie goal has that built in. If you do additional exercise and eat those calories back, you are maintaining your 500 calorie deficit. It is not defeating the purpose.

Yes, some people find low calorie goals difficult to maintain. Sustainability is a huge key to this whole weight loss game. Allowing the extra for exercise while maintaining a deficit helps a lot of people stay on track.
    Eating too little food, especially when active, can wreck havoc on health and performance.
    Huge calorie deficits can have negative effects on your metabolism and lean body mass.
    Maintaining a modest calorie deficit by following MFP and eating your exercise calories can help avoid a lot of these issues. It is not "defeating the purpose" at all. If anything, it is HELPING.

Yes, there are issues with overestimating exercises/underestimating food, but that comes back on the person not the system.
  • RGv2
    Options

OK....

MFP gives you the deficit to meet your goal already.... Let's say I plug in I want to lose 1lb per week. I get ~1800 calories. I work off 500, and now I'm at 1300 calories. That is an extremely low amount of calories for a male at my ht, wt, age, with little weight to lose. Why not properly fuel the body and lose the weight at the goal set, thus allowing the individual to take the workout to the "nth" degree because the body is properly fueled to do so.

People with larger amounts of weight to lose can get away with eating less calories back, but the closer a person gets to that goal weight the more important those calories become.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    But with the Scooby method you did not include your exercise, you chose the sedentary option. Go back and figure with your correct activity level.
    [/quote]

so with Scooby method...adjusting activity level...it really increases my calories...

holy smokes batman!! ok, when I enter 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise...ready for this???(wasn't sure what to pick as I play minimum 6 hours of doubles-(easy) tennis and 2 hours crossfit a week)..NOTHING very intense at all...

TDEE 2344
    to lose 1875
    BMR 1512
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have two goals here:

Goal number 1: Lose fat to drop down to around 15% bodyfat. For this goal I eat at a modest deficit for sustainable weight loss

Goal number 2: Improve my cardiovascular fitness and my strength. For this goal I do both cardio exercise and weight lifting. In order to properly fuel my workouts so that I can make the improvements I desire I eat the amount of calories I burn.

I can do both at the same time but only if I eat the calories back from exercise. This provides the fuel necessary to have intensity during my workouts and see gains in fitness and strength while still maintaining my modest caloric deficit for fat loss.

I do not exercise to lose weight I exercise to be fit. If all I cared about was losing weight faster I would just eat at a higher caloric deficit and wouldn't bother with exercise.