how much water in a day?

Options

Replies

• MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I aim for 130 - 160 ounces a day depending on my activity level. I'm not sure if this is good or bad - but it's what makes me feel good and keeps the night time headache alot. Im a heavy, heavy, heavy sweater in warmer weather....it runs in my family, apparently... we always joke that we don't need to pee at all because we just sweat it out!! Gross... but it is what it is!
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Nobody can tell you how much you should be drinking. Some days I drink as much as a gallon. Some days I drink half a gallon. How much you need to drink depends on how big you are, how much you move around, how much you sweat, what you eat, the state of your kidneys, whether or not your body is repairing damage or building glycogen stores. There are too many factors at play, and how much you need to drink will change day to day.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I Try to get at least 8 glasses a day (don't always suceed) I find though, that I'm up like 4-6 times a night going to the bathroom because of it. Anyone else?
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I drink around 64oz a day. I didn't drink as much as I usually do this past weekend and I definitely felt it.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Between 8 and 10 cups.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The "you have to drink 8 cups of water a day" is a myth. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/eight-glasses-water-per-day/
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You know you have it right when your pee is straw yellow. If it's clear you've overhydrated.

funny, Navy boot camp we had a chart that went by the color and our Div Officer would want us to have our urine clear.

edit: to answer OP question Sorry :(
    min 64oz/day
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I typically drink at least a gallon. I don't really drink much else than water and I tend to drink all day long so some days I get even more.
  • fashi0nkilla
    fashi0nkilla Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    3-4 liters
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Between 225-250 ounces per day.

When I pee, it's the color of weak lemonade. If it's ever crystal clear, I know I've had too much.
  • MzNeecie
    MzNeecie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    all i drink is water, gave up soda in college and only have a ginger ale if I am sick. I didn't know that if urine was clear it indicates over hydration thanks for that tid bit of info. so I guess that is why i am in the ladies room every half hour lol gotta love that h2o!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Between 6-14 ounces
    (includes all liquids, not just plain water, and depends if I workout that day or not. As long as my pee is a pale yellow, I know I'm hydrated enough)
  • Diesel_Girl
    Options
    at bare minimum, I drink at least 84 oz. the most has been up to 169 oz. in a day. I track this by drinking out of a 16.9 oz. water bottle all day. I try to refill and drink it at least 7 times before I leave work at 4:30, then usually drink at least two more afterwards. I don't count other beverages as water, and usually have at least 24 oz. of coffee and 10 oz. of green tea throughout the day. I've noticed that the more water I drink, the less hungry I feel and the less apt to having headaches or energy slumps throughout the day :)
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You know you have it right when your pee is straw yellow. If it's clear you've overhydrated.

This is actually incorrect. If you've ever seen straw that's much too dark for the color of your urine. Your urine should be a VERY pale yellow......per my urologist.

So, there is not correct amount of "liquid" you need to drink. And it doesn't have to be just water. Any beverage such as tea, coffee, juice or whatever counts. Even your food counts....fruits and veggies can be high in liquid that counts towards your daily HYDRATION.
  • SteliosV1
    Options
    For a person with normal activity the formula is simple:
    weight in lbs / 2 = number of ounces.
    8 ounces = 236ml = about a glass of water

So, a person of 150 lbs should drink 150/2= 75 ounces
    or 75/8 = 9.5 glass of water
    or 75*29.5 = 2.3lt

:)
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Never knew that it being clear meant you were over hydrated, good to know thanks!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    Options

This is actually incorrect. If you've ever seen straw that's much too dark for the color of your urine. Your urine should be a VERY pale yellow......per my urologist.

So, there is not correct amount of "liquid" you need to drink. And it doesn't have to be just water. Any beverage such as tea, coffee, juice or whatever counts. Even your food counts....fruits and veggies can be high in liquid that counts towards your daily HYDRATION.

I had heard somewhere the color of lemonade is good when you pee lol don't know if that is right either
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    *misread*
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I let my thirst be my guide so I don't really keep track, but I'm sure I drink a lot less plain water than most of the people who posted on this thread.

Just make sure to produce pale yellow urine every 2-4 hours and you'll be fine.

It seems like a lot of people don't recognize thirst until they're dehydrated and sometimes they overhydrate trying to compensate by aiming for clear urine or X oz of water. This isn't good for you, it overworks the kidneys and depletes electrolytes.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    Options

Just make sure to produce pale yellow urine every 2-4 hours and you'll be fine.

That I did not know either, usually I drink the majority of my water during the day between 8 and 5 when I work but by the time I am getting ready for bed my pee is way dark again. Maybe I should try drinking a little less at work and more at home in the evening.