If your pregnant do you count as a mother on mother's day?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're a mother yet. Enjoy the sweet, sweet freedom you have now and celebrate being a slave to another once it happens, ok?
    Being pregnant was a HUGE draw on my time, energy and everything else. I couldn't live a normal life because of restrictions and I threw up nearly everything I ate for nine months.

I'd say that qualifies. It was more difficult for me being pregnant than actually raising my child.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I sorta figured that's where the OP was going with it, and was surprised it hadn't come up. So I figured I'd help it along.

It's actually an interesting question.

it's a child if she wants it, it's "her body, she can do with it what she likes" if not...

can we not get past this?

WWJD??
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're a mother yet. Enjoy the sweet, sweet freedom you have now and celebrate being a slave to another once it happens, ok?

I can't drink booze. I can't do my long runs. Or bike. I constantly need to pee. I'm already a slave :laugh:

I guess I'm going to have to change my answer now.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Being pregnant was a HUGE draw on my time, energy and everything else. I couldn't live a normal life because of restrictions and I threw up nearly everything I ate for nine months.

I'd say that qualifies. It was more difficult for me being pregnant than actually raising my child.

Same here for me... hyperemesis is a BISH!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It was miseable. And I couldn't walk the length of a city block without getting horrible belly cramps. Meanwhile, my mom's nurse BFF kept pushing me to exercise all the time.

Back the hell off! lol But because of the constant barfing, the lack of exercise did not result in significant weight gain, so silver lining?
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Of course. Happy early Mother's Day! and Congrats

Except OP is a guy.
  • randomtai
    Options

It was miseable. And I couldn't walk the length of a city block without getting horrible belly cramps. Meanwhile, my mom's nurse BFF kept pushing me to exercise all the time.

Back the hell off! lol But because of the constant barfing, the lack of exercise did not result in significant weight gain, so silver lining?

Definitely a silver lining, I gained no weight all of my pregnancies. However, I always wanted one of those "eating for 2" pregnancies, where there is 3AM Taco Bell mixed with a gallon of ice cream.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If I'm pregnant I count as a scientific curiousity on Mother's Day :laugh:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Well I hope so because I'm not taking that damned oven mitt back!
    TIIYGU
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I had hyperemesis gravidarum for 7 solid months, you're friends with my baby daddy on here, so you can ask him to confirm that. I weighed 147 pounds before getting pregnant, weighed 143 the day I came home. Suffice to say, I know all about pregnancy being a drain.

Any woman carrying a child who wants the recognition, fiiiine. But this post is moving in another direction and my point is, I am 100% willing to say all that suffering I experienced didn't make me an actual mother --- it was nice emotionally, but it didn't make me a mom.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Does she count as a mother? - Well, do you believe that child is alive and is hers? Or are you one that believes the child technically isn't alive until it is born? I say, yes, she is a mother?

Does she deserve to be celebrated in all she has done thus far to become a mother? Heck yes! Do you know how bloody hard it is being pregnant?

Should every husband celebrate his pregnant wife on Mother's Day, regardless of whether she has had children yet or not? If he knows what is good for him - yes!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I had hyperemesis gravidarum for 7 solid months, you're friends with my baby daddy on here, so you can ask him to confirm that. I weighed 147 pounds before getting pregnant, weighed 143 the day I came home. Suffice to say, I know all about pregnancy being a drain.

Any woman carrying a child who wants the recognition, fiiiine. But this post is moving in another direction and my point is, I am 100% willing to say all that suffering I experienced didn't make me an actual mother --- it was nice emotionally, but it didn't make me a mom.

This is a good point here. Giving birth doesn't necessarily make one a mother.

But, if she is pregnant and she wants a gift for Mother's Day... then the expecting father would be wise to give her something.

I didn't expect anything when I was pregnant. I was surprised with a little something and that was just because the giver loved me enough to do so.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Happened to my wife too... I had to stop wearing cologne just because the smell of it was too strong for her to bear while pregnant (or maybe my cologne was really cheap and I was unwilling to admit it) - she also had a hell of a time keeping down food and doing basic daily activities of life. But at the same time, there was no little person around yet and demanding time, energy, nurture, attention, and all the rest. In that respect, being pregnant and being a mother might be slightly different things.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Happened to my wife too... I had to stop wearing cologne just because the smell of it was too strong for her to bear while pregnant (or maybe my cologne was really cheap and I was unwilling to admit it) - she also had a hell of a time keeping down food and doing basic daily activities of life. But at the same time, there was no little person around yet and demanding time, energy, nurture, attention, and all the rest. In that respect, being pregnant and being a mother might be slightly different things.

Ohai
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Ohai

Hey... do I know you?
  • randomtai
    Options

This is a good point here. Giving birth doesn't necessarily make one a mother.

But, if she is pregnant and she wants a gift for Mother's Day... then the expecting father would be wise to give her something.

I didn't expect anything when I was pregnant. I was surprised with a little something and that was just because the giver loved me enough to do so.

QFT!!!!
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My dad was going to take his mom and my mom, who was two weeks from her due date, to lunch for Mothers Day.

I decided to be born on Mothers Day instead, and spoiled their lunch plans.

Take your lunches while you can!
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    Um, your keeping a human alive in your stomach, thats motherhood right there!
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yes, your a mom to be. I think my husband got me flowers or something. My first son was due shortly after mother's day
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes.