Veggies, Do you weigh them?

Options
13»

Replies

• ThreePartBreath
    Options
    I've had a few people- dietician, naturopath and doctor- tell me it's kind of useless to weigh veggies, or not worth it because they're so low in calories.

I eat 1400+ calories a day depending on how hungry I am and a lot of those calories come from vegetables...So they must not be THAT low...Yeah, I eat a lot.

Before I started weighing everything I thought I was eating 10 calories worth in celery but in reality I'm eating close to 40. After a while those calories add up.

So yeah, in short I do weigh them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I really only concern myself with weighing calorie dense foods...if I go over several grams on veggies it's only going to be like 2 calories...not a big deal. An extra 1/2 - 1 ounce of almonds....that's a much bigger deal. I do weigh starchy vegetables like potatoes though.
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is,

I eat a great deal of spinich/chard and dont bother, just grab a handfull or whatever i think the food needs.

I weigh potatoes and root veg like that but otherwise its a guesstimate. I dont really care if i am 20-50g over on carrots, peppers/
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've had a few people- dietician, naturopath and doctor- tell me it's kind of useless to weigh veggies, or not worth it because they're so low in calories.

I eat 1400+ calories a day depending on how hungry I am and a lot of those calories come from vegetables...So they must not be THAT low...Yeah, I eat a lot.

Before I started weighing everything I thought I was eating 10 calories worth in celery but in reality I'm eating close to 40. After a while those calories add up.

Okay sorry but how the hell are you eating 40 calories worth of celery? That's 250 grams, or about 1/2 lbs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For someone who is fully capable of consuming 15 tomatoes in a day, I just HAVE to weigh my veggies.
  • ThreePartBreath
    Options

Okay sorry but how the hell are you eating 40 calories worth of celery? That's 250 grams, or about 1/2 lbs.

I take around 200-250grams for lunch everyday. It's easy and quick and keeps my full for the afternoon.

...Is that a bad thing?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I take around 200-250grams for lunch everyday. It's easy and quick and keeps my full for the afternoon.

...Is that a bad thing?

No, but you must have very developed jaw muscles! ;)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

...Is that a bad thing?
    You must have epic poops.
  • red869
    red869 Posts: 59
    Options
    I pretty much weigh everything I eat or drink. There's no point only weighing some things and forgetting about others!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Of course!
  • ThreePartBreath
    Options

...Is that a bad thing?

No, but you must have very developed jaw muscles! ;)

Oh, well I don't like to brag.......
    ; o
    As for my bowel movements all I'll say is that the time I spend in the bathroom is no time wasted.

ETA: What I was trying to say with my celery example is that if you eat enough of it, it's worth logging. If you're trying to lose weight by saying that those three salads don't count because "They're just lettuce and some add-on's" you might be disappointed in your rate of or lack of loss.
    But to each their own.
  • mrsemmypants
    mrsemmypants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do. Partially because it's a habit and partially because it's kinda fun lol :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    I pretty much weigh everything I eat or drink. There's no point only weighing some things and forgetting about others!

It's not forgetting about others - well, not for me anyway.

I still log them, just don't weigh them - in the scheme of things, I consider guesstimating some things to be ok. It's only going to make my daily count out by 20 or so calories if I have underestimated how much lettuce or carrot I had.