Check out my diary!

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    "I rarely eat fish except tinned tuna which I'm sure doesn't have quite the same nutritional value as an actual fresh cut if tuna or salmon."

It should be pretty much the same except for having a ton more sodium for preservation.

"Another question is I tend to eat frozen veggies. Mainly due to the fact if I buy all fresh veggies, I will have to Chuck half out as I won't get round to eating it all in its sell by date and this ends up wasteful and expensive. Is the frozen stuff still considered healthy?"

Freezing something turns the water in it to ice. Unfreezing it turns that ice back into water. That is all that happens. Its exactly the same thing nutritionally. The formation of the ice-crystals might at most break up some of the fiber and soften the veggie as a result but that's it.

No offense but at this point you are just overcomplicating it for no reason. You are fine eating food from a can or the freezer its no big deal. Just watch your macros and your calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    There is no absolute right or wrong, good or bad food. Eating battered or breaded fish if that's what you like, or not - its up to you. Think of your daily calorie range as an allotment and you can make any sort of combination of foods to fit. If you think about it, that means you could live on donuts and soda. BUT you wouldn't have room for much each day and you'd be hungry AND feel lousy. So while you could, you wouldn't want to.

The only concern I've heard about canned tuna - and I don't know if its a true concern - is not to eat too much per week due to mercury levels.

Personally I like battered/breaded as well but I'm not good at remembering which brands come out well when baked. Some are lousy!
  • jade2190
    jade2190 Posts: 11
    Options
    Ha yeah I'm sure right! Thanks for the advice everyone :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The only concern I've heard about canned tuna - and I don't know if its a true concern - is not to eat too much per week due to mercury levels.

Mercury levels can be high in fish for sure so eating fish regularly can be a problem but I don't think there is a difference between canned and fresh fish in terms of mercury content. If anything I'd think canned fish would have lower mercury than fresh simply because it is processed.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yeah hopefully this will help. I'm not necessarily feeling hungry, just rather unsatisfied after meals which makes me want to pick later on! Hence the cereal on the night time! So I've been eating meals of chicken, brown rice and veg. So having a little less rice and half a chicken breast more would be a good idea? And then say carrot, celery and cucumber battons with cottage cheese or low fat Greek yoghurt as a snack later on?

I tend to get this unsatisfied feeling when my fat is low, too. You've had some good advice on how to increase it already. Roasting your chicken and veggies in some olive oil would help (just not too much, oils add up quickly). Or adding sauce or butter to dinner. I tend to have some ice cream after dinner, too, if I have room for it in my calories.

Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt are both good choices. I'm a big fan of string cheese, too. And hummus or other dip for your veggies. Hard boiled eggs can be another great snack.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Another question is I tend to eat frozen veggies. Mainly due to the fact if I buy all fresh veggies, I will have to Chuck half out as I won't get round to eating it all in its sell by date and this ends up wasteful and expensive. Is the frozen stuff still considered healthy?
    Frozen veggies can actually be more nutrient-dense than eating out-of-season fresh produce, so they're absolutely still considered healthy. Frozen veggies are picked when they're ripe and in season and frozen immediately. If you buy out-of-season fresh produce, it usually means it's had to be shipped from another part of the world, so that "fresh" vegetable has been sitting on a truck (or in a warehouse or whatever) for awhile before it gets to you.