Has eating soups daily/regularly helped in your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love having soup as part of my meals!
    I will get a whole chicken and pile in a lot of veggies like carrots,peas,, celery, orka,etc. For seasoning I use a lot of peppers, garlic,, bay leaves and Ms. Dash.
    Then I use a cup to measure portions into ziplock baggies and freeze.
    It's a quick easy meal when I know that when time is going to be limited to cook and still being healthy.
    I do the same with beans.
    It fills me up and knowing that it's homemade none of the process items!
    Since I'm about to start school soon, will look at both soup and beans as easy lunch items. By the time lunch comes, unthraw, heat up! Take along some raw bell peppers or tomato with some fruit and I have a great lunch.
    Hope this helps!
  • nmcguier
    nmcguier Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh man, a can of light Progresso or Campbell's soup is my go-to lunch. I keep a small plastic bowl at my desk and just grab a can from the cupboard before I head to work every morning. Filling, tasty, and only 160-220 calories per can. That and an apple and I'm a happy camper for the whole day.
  • vinster345
    vinster345 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, but if you can, make it from scratch at home. Had a supermarket fresh soup last friday as my homemade stuff had run out and it had 2/3rds the sugar of a can of coca cola.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, I don't care for soup.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I lost three to e eating soup
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I lost three stones eating soup
  • Ashaleet
    Ashaleet Posts: 59
    Options
    The last few days i've made a chicken and rice soup for my lunch. It's super thick though, almost wouldn't call it a soup.
    6 oz Chicken
    1 Cup Onion
    1 Cup White rice
    1 Cup Chicken broth.
    Tapatio Sauce & Paprika
    Whatever fresh herbs I have around (basil, cilantro, parsley)
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I get tired of anything if I eat it too often, lol, but I know there is research that shows it helps. There's a BBC documentary called "Why Thin People are not Fat" that talks about it. That's if I have my obesity documentaries straight- I've watched so many of them that I get them mixed up sometimes. In any case, that documentary is one of the best I've seen. I think the whole thing is available on youtube. It covers lots of scientific studies, and soup-eating is something it covers.
  • moe2max
    moe2max Posts: 1
    Options
    I make a great low calorie soup and it really helps shed the pounds and it is very healthy. I use fat free chicken broth and season it with whatever spices I'm in the mood for. If you like Asian or spicy, a very smal amount of lemongrass and/or sriracha sauce really give it flavor. Sometimes I just use salt and pepper, garlic and basil. Then I cut up a bunch of fresh veggies like mushrooms, celery, tomatoes (sometimes i dump in a can of diced tomatoes), onions, and cabbage (I'm not a huge cabbage fan, but the shredded cole slaw mix you can buy is easy and sliced small enough so it's not overwhelming). In the crockpot on low for several hours, then I heat up leftovers throughout the week. I always lose weight when I have a crockpot of this around when I am craving something substantial. You can eat all you want since it is low calorie, and it is very satisfying. I have heard thet your body burns more digesting celery and cabbage than the calorie content of them. Not sure if that's true or not, but this soup has given me super results in the past and really helps with cravings.
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Soup is kind of an obsession of mine, especially in the winter when I sometimes make two or three different soups on Sunday and we have it for lunch, dinner and snacks the rest of the week. I use up whatever I have left in the fridge from the previous week - leftover meats, veggies that might not make it a few more days and even rice or pasta. Anything that sits in the fridge and I'm worried I might have to toss gets turned into soup! Also great to have on hand when dinner is late and we need to take the edge of our hunger without racking up the calories. A small bowl of soup (or a small salad) before a meal helps you feel fuller on less calories, and adds some veggies to your diet if you do it right. When I go out for a meal, I almost always get one of those so I don't fill up on heavier foods. When I'm feeling icky and nothing else seems to appeal to me, I throw together a simple soup with miso paste and whatever veggies I have laying around, fixes me right up!
  • venus_blue
    Options
    oops!
  • venus_blue
    Options
    About a month ago I noticed my male cousin was a lot thinner. I mentioned it to his wife and she said he started making and eating soup all the time for lunches and even in the evening when he wanted a snack. It's homemade soup. I'm sure it could work as long as you ate careful what kind of soup.

I'm feeling about 80% better now--but I'm still making soups daily, because I'm really loving it. I wish I'd make this discover in the fall and winter though--don't know about how good soups are in the summer--unless I start making those cold soups!

I make watercress soup in the summer. Good hot or cold and watercress is super good for you. I also LOVE gazpacho and cucumber soups. Perfect for hot days and very low calories.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    HAD homemade CALDO for dinner last night and lunch today

mmmmmmm

caldo de res

YUM and there is plenty more for tonight. It is super filling and very low cal.

Love it and will be incorporating more of it in my diet since i got my wifey back and she knows how to cook better than I.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    DD gave me a ham bone from Easter dinner. today it went into the soup pot,after I cut away / discarded the fat & diced the lean. Added large size chicken broth,pepper,sage,bay leaf & thyme.After an hr,diced carrots,onion & celery,along with 1 1/2 lbs of Great Northern beans.Brought to a boil,then cover & simmer on low till beans are tender,adding water as needed to keep beans covered.

if you simmer the beans for an hour before draining & adding to soup,won't take too long.So good & so easy.

I make soup often because it keeps good & easy to freeze. Use zip lock bags,put measured amount in bag,then put on a pan ,flat. When frozen .....easy to stack .
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like soup. I make large batches of soup and freeze individual portions for quick lunches or dinners. My family LOVES soup as well or I wouldn't bother. Some of our favorites are lentil soup, black bean soup, stuffed pepper soup, split pea soup (last night's dinner made with leftover Easter ham.) I don't eat it every meal or even every day but it definitely has it's place in our meal repertoire. I usually have a salad or sometimes a sandwich with it.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I find having a homemade soup (usually vegetable with some legumes, low sodium broth and tomatoes) on hand makes it less likely I'll grab something higher calorie for lunch. It's filling, healthy and easy to throw into the slow cooker every week. For me it gives more calorie leeway in planning dinner.
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like soup well enough, but if it's a low calorie soup then I really need something else to help fill me up. I mean, to me, if it fits my calories, and helps me hit my macros, then I guess it's helping me lose weight whether or not it's soup or whatever else I might be eating.
  • AME902
    AME902 Posts: 10
    Options
    In the cold weather months starting around mid-Sept. and through April, I eat soup every morning for mid-morning "snack". I make mine homemade with organic chicken stock (sometimes I add white or dark meat chicken, ham, pork neckbones, turkey legs and wings, sausage or other meats whatever I have on hand for flavoring), sometimes I add a little rice or a handful of various beans, depending on what kind of soup I am doing, mushrooms, various vegetables (peppers, broccoli, squash...) whatever I have on hand, fresh onions a little clove of garlic. A variety of spices whatever I have on hand for taste, no salt, fresh cracked pepper. I simmer that up in the crockpot early in the morning so that by mid- it's done. I also do a sort of jambalaya soup using fish (tilapia, sole or haddock), chicken, sausage, couple of shrimps (high in calories so go easy) with lots of veggies and chopped up tomatoes.

Very low in calories and yes this helps curb my appetite and helps me with my weight loss and also if I have beans in there, that's fiber! Sometimes I add some apple cider vinegar in there just to zip things up. I recommend making your own and avoiding canned or store bought. Too much salt and processed garbage in those. You can even make a huge batch on a weekend and freeze in small containers for during the week. One thing I never add is pasta. The pasta does not freeze well. Rice freezes well. It is a great "cleanse" the more veg you add in there the more "cleanse" you will get. It is also good to ward off colds and flu since chicken stock has antibiotic properties. Try to get the stock that comes in a box not a can and organic if you can find that. If not, it's okay or you can make your own stock.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've always been a big fan of soup and make it regularly. I will say it can be low calorie but I was making soup long before losing weight and I can say I can clearly make a high calorie soup based on this. Keeping track of calories has helped far more than making soup.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wow! I REALLY appreciate these replies, especially the ones with the ingredients you're using. I am definitely going to add some other stuff that y'all have mentioned, like celery, okra and all the other items you've mentioned as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!