EAT OR NOT EAT BEFORE A WORKOUT ??

Options
Hi everyone , I wanted to know whats better ? To eat before a workout or not ?
Thx

Replies

• sexypecan
    sexypecan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I only eat something light about 1 hr before I work out, and after I eat some protein depends on what time you complete your workout.
  • hospitablegirl
    hospitablegirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what kind of workout you're doing. When I go running, if it's less than 2 miles, you don't really have to eat anything. If it's more than that, you should. And you should always try to space your snack enough so you don't feel sick while working out.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I try and have a meal replacement shake (i guess you can have a protein shake) 1 hour before I run. I just want to have some calories in me to burn while I run.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I don't eat anything for at least an hour or more after I work out, of course I hit the gym at 6:30am. Doesn't seem to affect me negatively.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Not eating burns more fat but EATING BEFORE burns more fat during the next few hours after your workout.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the person. If I eat too soon before a heavy workout, I pretty much am guaranteed to vomit before I'm finished.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I always eat before. I perform much better hen I do. I always eat a light & fit Greek yogurt cup before I head out, to give my body some protein and carbs as fuel so my muscles will be ready to go with when I start my weight session. I also have half of my protein shake literally right before I start-1 cup cold coffee, 1 scoop chocolate whey, and 5g creatine. I then either have the oter half midway through my workout if I'm getting wasted, or I save it till after I'm done or sometimes I do half and half. The coffee helps me stay energized and keep my focus. If you're doing cardio I'd be a little more tentative about it so you don't cramp up. I always have that problem but I breathe through it.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Not eating burns more fat but EATING BEFORE burns more fat during the next few hours after your workout.

Um, no. Nice broscience though...

As MrM27 said, it's personal preference.
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I like to do fasted cardio in the AM so obviously I cant eat before that... If im doing weight training, unless its the first thing I do in the morning, I NEED to have something in my stomach.
  • dearcrumpet
    dearcrumpet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the workout and personal preference.

If I eat before a yoga class, I feel sick halfway through and I feel like I can't get as deeply into the poses.

If I've gone more than three hours since eating before running, I get totally drained.

Find what works for you!
  • Girl_On_Fire444
    Options
    I believe it's a personal preference. I personally do not eat prior to my workout.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    If i do eat before then it would be something light... i usually just eat something afterwards though.
  • anniep1991
    Options
    Lara, I always eat atleast one hour before a work out if it is after late morning. Before that I tend to go straight to the gym because I cannot eat too early although sometimes I try and eat a banana to give me something :-)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Hehehe.

Agreed with others, personal preference. I can't eat much before a heavy leg day as it tends to make me queasy. Upper body, no problem.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    IT DOESNT FING MATTER ;)
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the person. If I eat too soon before a heavy workout, I pretty much am guaranteed to vomit before I'm finished.

Same
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Try eating light, eating heavy, not eating, see which one gives you better workouts.