Drinking Too Much Water

Options
Domineer
Domineer Posts: 239 Member
So I've been told by many articles online that drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day is a good way to keep yourself hydrated. I believe that is too much water and it will cause discomfort in your sleep and skew your weigh ins. I decided to drink under 90oz of water yesterday and I didn't wake up out of my sleep. I also weighed in after I woke up and came in at nearly the same weight I was last Friday.

What are your experiences with drinking too much water?

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have yet to experience this...

I drink 5-6 of my 20oz water bottle each day plus coffee and tea.
  • hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I strive for 100 ounces of water a day. You may think that 90oz is a lot- and it is- when you first start increasing your water intake, but it will get easier as you begin to form a habit of drinking more water.

Drinking more water will not screw with weigh-ins. Many studies have shown that drinking more water actually reduces the amount of retained water ('water weight') and can actually make you weigh less on the scale. :)

If it causes problems sleeping at night- like having to get up and pee all of the time- try to stop drinking water after a certain time, like 7pm. That may help with that problem.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It is possible, although incredibly rare, to consume too much water. I doubt you're anywhere near that.

Any weight jump from drinking extra water will be extremely temporary. It only takes water a few hours to go through your system.

That being said, that number of ounces is probably unnecessary. If your urine is light yellow or colorless, you're hydrated.
  • Domineer
    Options
    I've been drinking an average of 84 or more ounces a day. Some days I drink 120, other days I drink 100, etc. But it wakes me out of my sleep and it is frustrating at times. I'm not water intoxicated or anything but water has put me 4 or 5 lbs heavier on the scale and I don't like it, temporary or not. I too carry around a 20 oz bottle and down it 5 or 6 times during my double night shift. That is coming to an end. However, drinking that much water comes in handy if you know you have to wake up early for something the next day. Might as well kill two birds with one stone with that inconvenient bathroom trip.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It is worth bearing in mind that the generally accepted amount of water to drink a day was invented by bottled water companies. It is not "water" we need to drink but "liquids". We don't actually need as much as 2 litres of water a day. It wont do us any harm - but it is not making us healthier. As long as we are hydrated and have enough liquids. This can be tea, coffee, juice and water.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    It is possible, although incredibly rare, to consume too much water. I doubt you're anywhere near that.

Any weight jump from drinking extra water will be extremely temporary. It only takes water a few hours to go through your system.

That being said, that number of ounces is probably unnecessary. If your urine is light yellow or colorless, you're hydrated.

What she said. Spot on.

I drink about a glass less than my "recommended" amount and that seems to be right for me.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If you are making trips to the bathroom at night, the simple solution is to stop drinking the water an hour or two before you go to bed.

If you are retaining 4-5 pounds of water weight you may want to be looking at your sodium intake. Drinking water usually helps to reduce retention. Dehydration causes retention.

I really don't believe there is a magic number to ounces to consume every day. I drink when I'm thirsty. Not thirsty, no drink. Don't over think it too much.
  • gracie11lexi13
    gracie11lexi13 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was ordered to drink 160 fl oz of water EVERY DAY when i was pregnant with my oldest daughter. I had some complications with low fluid for her to thrive in. Drinking tons of water made it possible for her to go full term. 2 weeks before I had her the levels were dropping so I had to up my drinking to 176 fl oz.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Overhydration is responsible for one of the nastier afternoons of my life. Drink when you're thirsty.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The weight loss clinic I've been going too told me to drink half my weight in ounces of water. I can't drink 130oz of water, the most I can get in is about 80-90oz a day. Honestly I think that's more than enough to keep me hydrated.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have yet to experience this...

I drink 5-6 of my 20oz water bottle each day plus coffee and tea.
    I drink roughly that amount each day too! :)
  • Domineer
    Options
    If you are making trips to the bathroom at night, the simple solution is to stop drinking the water an hour or two before you go to bed.

If you are retaining 4-5 pounds of water weight you may want to be looking at your sodium intake. Drinking water usually helps to reduce retention. Dehydration causes retention.

I really don't believe there is a magic number to ounces to consume every day. I drink when I'm thirsty. Not thirsty, no drink. Don't over think it too much.

The simple solution is not really a simple solution. I stop drinking water 3+ hours before going to bed and I still have to wake up early to piss.

I monitor my sodium intake levels pretty well. My blood pressure is normal. But I was simply looking at the results of me drinking less than 100 oz on a given night and my weight showing a number only one pound higher. I meal prep and everything is portioned out. My diet is fine, the water consumption was the problem.