pre diabetic.......devistated.

Options
13»

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm considered pre-diabetic too. My husband is diabetic and has it under control now.

He started doing P90X and Insanity and got his body fat way down - his A1C came back right at 6, and his doctor told him he didn't have to take the medication anymore (obviously he's Type 2).

But it was diet and exercise, pure and simple. When he started logging on MFP, he said he couldn't believe how bad things were that he thought were reasonably healthy.

He will have cliff builder bars for either dinner and/or snacks, and tries to focus more on protein.

One of the tricks that he learned from me that he LOVES is turning a regular cheeseburger into 1/2 a double cheeseburger - cut it in half, remove half the bun, and put the protein the remaining half bun with the other 1/2 of the cheeseburger. Voila!! Helps to save carbs!! If I go to a steakhouse and get a burger, I'll order it without the bun, particularly if I want fries or a baked potato.

He also loves cashews for snacks. Usually goes by the "handful rule"....regular handful as a serving.

We order a lot of kids meals when we go places, and if it isn't a kids meal, we'll split something.

Weight Watchers has you limit your fruits to 3 fruits/day. Try to watch the intake on that.

If you like ice cream - try Skinny Cow products - they are YUMMY, and they are very food journal friendly.

One thing that's REALLY helped me is Chocolite protein bars. About 100 calories, 10g fiber, 10g protein, sugar free, gluten free...I order them from www.healthsmartfoods.com and will get a coupon code off of www.retailmenot.com for something like 15%-20% off. I like the triple chocolate fudge and the cookies-n-cream. My husband likes the cashew caramel, cookies-n-cream, and the peanut butter ones.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here who said you need to have some blood work. You need to find out what the hard cold numbers are. I was diagnosed with type 2 in December, and got serious right after the new year. I started logging everything, though aside from being mindful of my sugar and 'white' carb intake I didn't make any huge changes. The Dr. said not to worry about checking my blood or taking insulin yet, he wanted to see if I could make any positive changes just with calorie reduction and getting some more movement in. From December to now I have lost short of 30 pounds and had new blood work done this past Friday. My fasting glucose has dropped from a whopping 242 to 138. Still high (needs to be around or below 100) but I am thrilled with the improvement. So was my Dr. I am on two Diabetes medications but he said if I keep it up I should be able to go back off them fairly soon.

my point is, like most have said here, watch those empty carbs- if you really love your cereal in the mornings, for instance (I do) look up which ones have the least impact on blood sugar spikes, Cheerios is one of the best. If that's too bland for you you can throw some berries in and still be in pretty good shape. Also, changing from white breads to whole grain and wheat wasn't that hard a transition, and I got used to it. If it meant the difference between having my crunchy English muffin once in a while or not, believe me I was willing to make the adjustment. :wink:

I am very, VERY surprised that your doctor didn't order any tests and just threw the diagnosis out there by looking at your foot. Even if he's 100% positive, a blood test should have been standard response.

I guess my point (and there is one) is, no need to be so hard on yourself about it (I know, easier said than done... I spent the holidays in a private panicked stupor) and the fact that you are trying to take control is a VERY good start. :flowerforyou:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a lot of carbs in your diary...try swapping out that special K cereal and oatmeal for a veggie loaded omelette, protein smoothie or cottage cheese. And if you eat oatmeal, make it steel-cut, not instant, and flavor it with fruit instead of sugar.
  • amysgottadothisthang
    amysgottadothisthang Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Big thanks to all that responded to my post! I really appreciate the info! I threw out the special K already!!!! No more "treats" even if they fit into my day. I am going to change this! I have to!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Please look into the American Diabetes Association website under "Food & Fitness"
    http://www.diabetes.org/

Also the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetics Association) is a great source as well: http://www.eatright.org/

I had Gestational Diabetes, which thankfully resolved after my daughter's birth and I was under the care of a very strict Perinatologist.
    So his advice to me will probably be very different than what you need. But the two resources above are great.

There are also fantastic magazines that you can get from your local library with a TON of recipes and ides (free for e-readers) or by subscription.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't have any words of wisdom, but I wanted to save this post for myself since I was also told I was pre-diabetic. I'd gotten it under control by cutting out all sugary snacks and making sure to eat high fibre, whole grains etc. however, lately, I've been allowing the sugary snacks to sneak back into my diet. I needed this reminder of what can happen if I don't keep things under control, so I thank you for this post. I'm sorry you are dealing with this, but you seem to have gotten some great advice here. Good luck to you.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    No real words of wisdom here, I'm also a fairly newly diagnosed diabetic and am trying to get healthy so I can control my diabetes with diet and exercise and avoid the insulin that would most likely be in my future. Just know that you're not alone and that there is some really good information on here. I need to look for that book that was recommended about being a newly diagnosed diabetic. I've been on the Sugar Smart Diet and it has helped my numbers. Although I'm rethinking the bananas I bought today after reading some of the posts.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    also read up on dash diet which is a great diet and u already have most of the food in your house already nothing outrageous
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I suspected my daughter (who is 13) is insulin resistant/pre diabetic because she gains weight so easily. So about 8 weeks ago or so I totally change our meal plan to a refined sugar free/white flour free house. It has worked out fantastic. She eats 6 times a day, 3 meals, three snacks and is losing about 1/2 lb a week. She thinks the diet is great, she told me she is eating more flavourful foods and just plain more food now than before, she is NEVER hungry. We still have pizza, had it tonight actually, but I made the dough myself with whole wheat pastry floor and just a bit of honey to activate the yeast, with low fat cheese, onions, sun dried tomatoes, bacon etc. One of things I always make sure is to ALWAYS combine any type of carb with fiber and protein. She still eats a lot of fruit (she is still only a kid, so I never limit that) but I always pair it with fiber and protein. Hummus is an excellent source of fiber and she has that a lot. My daughter loves food so I used that to my advantage and she likes almost everything (except green beans :P) and will try almost anything. I never give her smoothies because I want her to eat and chew all her food. Slow down the process so that the sugar she does get her body has to work for it. I also downsized all our meal plates, we eat from the smaller ones now, the whole family does. I follow the 1/2 veggie, 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein per plate idea as well, with a salad.

It is a lot of work, but can be done. Initially, I spent hours and hours in the grocery store reading labels (there is SO MUCH crap out there, I think there are over 15 different names for sugar :P) but now it is much less. I still have to really label watch when trying new stuff, but I have a good basis now. I also cook much simpler so spend less time in the actual kitchen. There are a lot of sugar free recipes out there on the internet and sometimes only need a small change to make it work, like for meatloaf, my recipe uses rolled oats instead of bread crumbs.

Good luck!