Advice for Buying a Food Scale?

Options
Nedra19455
Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
I have been reading around here about the importance of using a food scale and I'm thinking I'd better start looking into it. I have been losing for 3 weeks and feel like I'm doing a great job, but I know my progress will slow down eventually, so I might as well start developing better habits now.

So . . .

Any favorites? Ones to stay away from? Features to look for? What level of accuracy is important?

I'd love buying advice!

PS -- Do all food scales come with the ability to "tare" them? Like to put a bowl on the scale, zero it out, and then add the food so you're weighing the food, not the vessel in which the food is prevented from sliding off the scale?

Replies

• AnnieSPAJ
    AnnieSPAJ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got the glass topped one from Walmart and love it. It does have the tare function.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Get an electronic scale. The others are terrible to read!
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I got the glass topped one from Walmart and love it. It does have the tare function.

The Walmart Brand one? That's the one I have, but just bought it so getting use to it.

*After posting this, I checked mine. It does. Thanks. Would never have known what "tare" was without this post. So much easier than doing the math in my head.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    use one that measures down to gram measurement.
    get one that tares.
    get one that's easy to use.
    get one that's going to be used regularly. good, easy to read display.

I use an ozeri that I got from amazon for under $20.
  • Joanwetz
    Joanwetz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love the weight watchers scale. Very accurate and easy to use.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eatsmart scales had great reviews on amazon, so I bought one. Very simple to use, one button turns it on and tares, the other toggles between grams, ounces and lbs. I opted for the bigger version as there were a few complaints about the smaller scale and not being able to read the weight with a plate on it. 1g accuracy I thought was sufficient.
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    mines a glass top one that you can alter kilos to grams.lbs whatever measurement you need. and electronic is best.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Me too. The one from Walmart. Has a glass top and really accurate. I love the tare feature..good luck.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I also have a Cuisinart, slightly different model, and it is great and especially useful for weighing large quantities for recipes or plates of food. I also have a portable scale that I had first and use all the time because I measures down to 1/10g.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I got this one at Target (it was on sale for $15 when I bought it). I love it!

http://www.target.com/p/taylor-stainless-food-scale/-/A-14012995
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I got one with a stainless steel top at Target, it was on sale at the time. I love it!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I use a Walmart digital food scale runs on batteries and works great! Only spent $18
  • stupxdgxrl
    stupxdgxrl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love love love love my food scale! It's the Perfect Portions - http://www.perfectportionsscale.com/
    It was about $50. It's a scale and Nutrition Facts. Has over 1500 built in foods, can add custom foods. Glass top, easy to clean.
  • postpunkmamma
    postpunkmamma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have an epica i got on Amazon, has tare option and measures in pounds, ounces, grams, and kilograms.Has an 11 pound max weight on it.
  • eallen65
    eallen65 Posts: 19
    Options
    I recently bought a great food scale from BBB, you can enter food codes (booklet included). Shows all nutrition fact when weighing.
    the make is Perfect Creations costs $40.00 but worth it.
  • jymmeh
    jymmeh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We bought one from Target, Its made by Taylor, its electronic (Only buy an electronic one, we bought a really cheap analog scale, it was way off and we didnt know it until we got this one) it has a tare feature, measures fluid ounces, actual weight ounces, pounds, milliliters, and grams. Its great and I think it was $29.00 , We love it soooo much.
  • jymmeh
    jymmeh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We bought one from Target, Its made by Taylor, its electronic (Only buy an electronic one, we bought a really cheap analog scale, it was way off and we didnt know it until we got this one) it has a tare feature, measures fluid ounces, actual weight ounces, pounds, milliliters, and grams. Its great and I think it was $29.00 , We love it soooo much.

Mine isnt the stainless steel of glass top one, Ours is the bamboo top and easy to clean, just wipe and done.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Any digital scale should be fine. Be sure it has a TARE button and can measure grams and ounces (for US). You don't need anything fancy. I bought a perfectly good one from Target for <$15. Someone suggested buying two - one for home and one for on-the-go. If you are not embarrassed about weighing your food in public, then this is a great idea! The scale I got at Target is small and light enough to take on the go (about a 1.5 pounds and smaller than a salad plate). I think I just might go out and get another one to keep at my desk at work! :love:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I bought this one: [url] http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Glass-Nutritional-Scale-Silver/dp/B00F8LPBBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398307569&sr=8-1&keywords=taylor+slim+glass+top+nutritional+scale[/url]

It also does the nutritional information, but it only has 1000 foods pre-programmed. You can add another 99. It's super cheap (I got the black one for about $12) and it's great for measuring out 50 or 100 calorie snacks and storing them in little bags in advance.