What am I doing wrong?

Options
I go to the gym 4x a week. Over the course of the week I run 11 miles at 10mph and various weight training excerises. My body fat is 20%. I only consume about 1350 calories a day, excluding fruits and veggies. I eat tuna, pretzels, water and whey protein bars. I do not have dressing for the tuna and I eat those crunch bars. One the weekends I eat low calorie subway sandwiches and cookies but keep the calorie intake under 3000 a day. My weekend diet is actually healthier than what I was eating before and lighter than what I could eat at restaurants. My weight does not change. It stays at 190 even after an entire week of working out and eating light. I do not have any health issues.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Excluding fruits and veggies?...
    I am guessing you're eating more than you think you are.
  • Drdmike
    Drdmike Posts: 66
    Options
    No, it's not a lot. Like 2 bananas, couple of slices of pineapple and some green peas. I also add some celery and tomatoes in my tuna.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    10 mph is a 6 min mile, sure you are that fast????
    You are eating more than you think. Log everything.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    so all you eat is tuna and pretzels? What is breakfast??? Open your diary if you want more detailed advice but if u aren't losing you are still eating too much
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    While sometimes it works for people to have fruits and vegetables as "free" foods, as it encourages them to eat more, that's the first thing you should change if you're not seeing results. The number one thing to do if you see no results is to log, log, log.

Log everything. Measure everything. Weigh your food if you can. Make sure you're using the correct entries in the database.
    When you do exercise, measure your runs with an app like RunKeeper or MapMyRun. They sync automatically with MFP and will log your calories burned without any effort on your part. It's easier and more accurate.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    No, it's not a lot. Like 2 bananas, couple of slices of pineapple and some green peas. I also add some celery and tomatoes in my tuna.

You just described about 300-400 calories that you aren't accounting for.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose the weight, weigh and log into your diary everything you eat-including fruit and veggies.
    Also, enter what you want to lose per week (for you-1/2-1 pound a week) and eat the calories MFP gives you plus your exercise calories. Make sure you log your exercise too.
    This really works! You really need to be at a deficit to lose the weight! No getting around it.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    ....Or you're not eating enough. For a 190 lb. male and 1350 calories a day is not a lot for a male who is doing that much cardio. I'm a female, and that's about what I eat if I exercise lightly. It could be the 3000 cal a day weekend, too that's "blowing" the deficit for the week, but I also wonder whether you're near your optimal weight. Are you tall? If so, 190 might be near where you should be and you won't lose, just build muscle.
  • Drdmike
    Drdmike Posts: 66
    Options
    so all you eat is tuna and pretzels? What is breakfast??? Open your diary if you want more detailed advice but if u aren't losing you are still eating too much

I hVe some pineapple, banana, green peas and A protein bar.
  • wilsoje74
    Options

I hVe some pineapple, banana, green peas and A protein bar.
    you need to log all of that.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you're not accurately logging and expecting results that require the first part of this sentence.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    you're not accurately logging and expecting results that require the first part of this sentence.

9 times out of 10 - this is the correct response. You asked what you were doing wrong. People are giving you great suggestions. If you don't agree - keep doing what you're doing now.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Lots of calories in bananas and tomatoes.

Basically you're eating more than you're burning. Probably each day, with the fruit/veg calories, and then you blow out on Subway and that's any deficits gone.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options

70 calories in one banana

30 calories for one medium tomatoe..... Lots of calories???

Really... I eat one banana every day, and about 3 tomoatoes min a day... under 200 calories
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Really... I eat one banana every day, and about 3 tomoatoes min a day... under 200 calories

Yes. Lots. This is just two of the things he is not counting. That's 100 calories right there. A couple more things not logged and his deficit is gone. Counting matters.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

200 calories that the OP isn't accounting for could put them at maintenance and keep them from losing.

also, the amount of calories in a banana can vary depending on weight. 100 calories for the average one that I weigh.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    70 calories is low for a banana. You have to weigh them. They are fairly calorie dense. Most of the bananas I eat are in the 120 calorie range.

OP, if you aren't weighing everything that you can weigh before you eat it, you're eating a lot more than you think. And if you aren't weighing everything you eat on your 3000 calorie days, you could actually be hitting 4000. Do you have any actual idea what your calorie count is?

Think of your calories as a paycheck. What would you do if your boss didn't pay you for small portions of an hour every day but only paid you for the full hours you worked? You'd be mad because pennies add up. Calories add up.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

200 calories that the OP isn't accounting for could put them at maintenance and keep them from losing.

also, the amount of calories in a banana can vary depending on weight. 100 calories for the average one that I weigh.

Completely agree, most of banana's I eat are the lrg-xlg and I log them as 100+ cals, pears and apples usually are more then a 100 cals also. I find that blackberries, blueberries and rasberries are better fruit choices for me bc I look @ lower cals and more fiber.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 4x a week. Over the course of the week I run 11 miles at 10mph and various weight training excerises. My body fat is 20%. I only consume about 1350 calories a day, excluding fruits and veggies. I eat tuna, pretzels, water and whey protein bars. I do not have dressing for the tuna and I eat those crunch bars. One the weekends I eat low calorie subway sandwiches and cookies but keep the calorie intake under 3000 a day. My weekend diet is actually healthier than what I was eating before and lighter than what I could eat at restaurants. My weight does not change. It stays at 190 even after an entire week of working out and eating light. I do not have any health issues.

OP, it sounds like you may need to do a little research and determine what's best for you in terms of where you are and what your goals are. I think you just need a better understanding of how to go about getting the results you are after and your nutritional needs. There is a wealth of information here on MFP. Try checking out some of the Pinned topics in the getting started forum. I think you'll find it useful.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    From OP profile: 32yo, 5'9, 20% body fat. Male.

I am 48, 6'2" and 21.3% body fat index. And male. My goal is to lose 5 more pounds in 6-7 weeks. MFP says I should eat at about 1,900. I weigh food, track calories eaten and burned for every meal. Run the system MFP has designed. It should work for you. It has for literally millions. (MFP has almost 40 million registered users and claims over 100 million pounds lost by its users.)

Edited because I can't seem to catch my spelling errors until I post.

ETA: OP, I just your revision for medical issues. Check with your doctor. I see mine at least once every 6 months.