What are you doing about clothes?

Options
2»

Replies

• wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Clearance racks, Charity shops. Only buying bare minimum as needed (am broke as well, so that kida curtails any spending!)

I am also gradually cycling through the clothes I 'grew' out of - that's been my big fear - not having any warm clothes this winter. (I'm in Australia). They were all too tight, so now I can fit them.
    THEN I will move on, and start fitting the smaller clothes (pre pregnancy)i still own.
    By summer, I should have a whole new wardrobe made of all my old clothes that I kept but haven't orn for years.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other comments. I go to the Salvation Army, and I plan to have a few pieces altered. I'll save my major shopping for when I reach my goal weight. Unlike the OP, I :love: to shop.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Our thrift stores suck, so I've been going with sales at Old Navy for some basics and casual items to "get through" a size. Last week I was in Anaheim and stopped at the Old Navy Outlet where it turned out the entire store was 40% off! I also had some reward cash to spend, so was able to pick up a few warm weather items without spending much.

I also recently signed up for Gwynnie Bee (www.gwynniebee.com), which is like Netflix for women's clothes. I picked the $79/mo plan so I can have 3 items out at a time. Shipping both ways is free AND you don't have to launder items before you send them back (unless you wear them several times, in which case, please do launder :wink: ).

So far I've been very pleased with the experience. I've had a "new" dress for Easter, an outfit for a presentation at a conference, and several outfits for work, all for the price of one mid-quality outfit. Plus I'm not adding more stuff to my closet that I'll just have to get rid of later. They carry sizes 10-26 in lots of styles and brands, and they've added at least 20 new items each week that I've been a member.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have a b-day coming up so asked for the basics, a pair of capris, a pair of jeans, 3 t-shirts and a light jacket. I agree about thrift stores and resale shops. For work, I'm okay. I have always liked tops that are a real fluid stretchy knit. I have a lot that are just a boat or round neck and tunic length. They also cover up the fact that my pants are really baggy. The t-shirts I asked for are a similar style, so I could even wear them if I want. Luckily, I have never liked to wear form-fitting clothes, so things being large doesn't bother me so much.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I just keep having to wear my big clothes because I can't afford to buy new. Or even used. I'm just saving some money so in another month I will have enough to go buy a few outfits.

College life.
  • LosingLaurensWay
    LosingLaurensWay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Buy what fits you. You will feel better and look better in clothes that fit you perfectly. You have to discard the idea of clothing numbers and go with what fits and flatters you. If money is an issue only get a few things that can be changed in to multiple outfits with layering or belts. When you reach that actual point of fitting in to the size you want it will be all the more amazing. I'm not against have one pair of goal pants that you try on ever so often (I have one of those) but I don't wear them out in public). I try mine one at least every few weeks to see how close I am.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Have you ever known a person who was stylish, looked great, but seemed to own only a handful of outfits...and those outfits were cute and well put together, but they kept wearing it over and over?

Become that person.

Even if just temporarily.

I have learned this the hard way and still struggle with it. But trust me ;-) It works!!

I was always - for well over a decade - around sizes 20-24, 2X/3X. I gained and lost 40-50 lb and still was in that range and could wear all of the same clothes easily. I wore the same size 22 jeans at my heaviest (307) and at my MFP start weight (262)...it didn't really cross my mind that after getting to around 240 lb I'd wake up one day and everything would look terrible and no longer fit. Like falling-off terrible looking.

When that happened, last summer...I bought a whole new wardrobe in my 'new' size, 18 and 1X. A lot of it was secondhand, thankfully...but I tried to recreate my usual wardrobe of like 10 pairs of jeans, every single color of dress pants, several skirts and dresses along with about a few dozen shirts and sweaters etc.

By October, it all fit terribly and I needed smaller sizes. Then it happened AGAIN around the beginning of this year. So now I'm learning.

Just get enough new and secondhand stuff to get by while still feeling stylish and good about yourself.

If you're like me, it will totally change your relationship with clothes...MAYBE for the better...and you'll also do laundry more often. Good luck!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Second hand stores, goodwil I have a fav one I visit once a week and I always come out with something awesome
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Goodwill in affluent areas (I've scored Lucky Brand jeans for $13.99, and regularly get Gap jeans for $3.99. I also scored 2 Coach purses, that my daughter, who worked at Coach, said were legit, and a beautiful suede coat).

When I was losing weight, I made it a point to have 2 pairs of khaki-type work pants and 2 pairs of jeans. I generally wore each size from a bit too tight to a bit too lose, and skipped a size going down. For shirts, I went with generic T-shirts from Old Navy and similar, and kept each for 3 sizes, but again, I had maybe 7 or 8 total at a time.

I didn't actually build a wardrobe until I was pretty much done losing.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just by a few pieces in each size as I lose weight. That way I don't have to go and by all new clothes every couple of months. And I browse the clearance section regularly.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I need to go to Goodwill in an affluent area! I'd love a Coach bag! Score!

I whine a lot. I do not like clothes shopping. I just do not have the shopping gene that most women seem to have. I need to get 2 new pairs of jeans. *whine*.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Consignment store clearance rack. Just got a $70 top, new, with tags. $3. Goodwill, thrift. I have about 4 pair of pants and 10 tops. Only 5 of the tops fit, the others are too small but I got them for under $3 so I thought it was a decent investment. I have been getting underwear on sale bit by bit at Burkes. My size 9 panties will probably fall off if I lose 5 more lbs, they are already silly big.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Skirts, if you like to wear them! Skirts are more versatile and can be used for a variety of sizes. The maxi skirts with stretchy waist bands are in style right now, so it wouldn't be hard to find those. Also, Goodwill and Christian Mission stores are my favorite places to go. I have found clothes with the tags still on them many times.

ETA: But when I hit my goal weight, I am hitting up my local Cato!!!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I keep buying pants/shorts. Those are the things that really don't fit me. I find that I like my shirts a bit loose, because they were so snug when I bought them.

I also buy these things from cheaper stores like target so it won't be as bad when they're too big. Oh, and I buy them snug so they fit longer, and extra motivation.
  • lecounth
    lecounth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Frequent consignment stores along with Goodwill. And I typically have only a few pairs of pants at a time since I hope to move through the size quickly -- a good pair of black slacks, blue slacks and jeans are must-haves.
  • michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    Options
    Just buy cheap stuff! I am still trying to find a pair of pants that fit... I haven't worn jeans in close to a year. My pear shape is even more pear-ey and my hip-waist ratio is so big I can't seem to stuff my butt into anything, or if I can then the waist is waaaay too big. But I'm not at goal yet so I don't want to tailor. So, leggings and skirts it is for now! (Hey at least they're comfy!)

I am pretty budget conscious so I feel better if the clothes are cheap for now, then if I wear them for a few months I feel like I got my money's worth. And there's lots of nice looking cheap stuff out there!
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Whooo hooo! My sewing machine arrived and I'm going to spend next weekend taking in some of my scrub tops for work. :)
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I needed a few things for summer so I got two pairs of shorts and three tops on Friday... I am 30 pounds down but just barely into the next size :grumble: but all my current stuff is heavier and for cooler weather so I did need something. I bought fairly cheap stuff (spent maybe $50 bucks on it all), and it should see me through for a while until I get a bit smaller. (But mind you, I'm not working outside the home but probably will be soon, so a few more things will be needed as I'm not quite back into my more work-appropriate stuff that I saved from the last time I lost some weight.) But again I will try to source the most inexpensive and basic pieces possible when that time comes.

My friend is working on getting more fit as well, and she is currently about two sizes smaller than me (and has EXCELLENT taste in clothing) and so our plan is that when I'm that size I'll buy some of her clothes off of her and then she can channel that money into some new smaller things for her self :wink:

It's also garage sale season now, so I will be frequenting several this summer.