Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• 1948sixty
    1948sixty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Throw away that towel...it isn't an option. I'm 65 . Yes, yes, yes...it is harder to lose weight as we age but we are wiser (and stubborn!). I was at my goal weight for a few years but during my mother's illness and passing, I put it back on. But I'm on the path to getting back to fitness. Believe in yourself and make yourself a priority...the time you commit to exercise, to planning healthy meals, tracking your food intake, are all gifts you deserve.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I will be 53yrs old in Nov
    I am 5'1" (gosh I used to be 5'2") fancy losing a whole inch with age.:grumble: ..never mind I still love me as I am:bigsmile:

On the 1st of July 2013 when I started I weighed 227lbs.
    I am now 143lbs.

This is the easiest I have found weight loss....I found what worked for me.

simply put it is "any food in of itself or in combination with other foods, which inhibit my body from flooding insulin into my system when I eat"
    I find that for the first time, I am not consumed with ravenous hunger.
    I eat mostly leafy green/ cruciferous vegetables with a very limited amount of starchy vegetables, with moderate amounts of lean protein and a moderate amount of MUFA.

I walk daily... between 5 and 10 miles...I find it effortless and very enjoyable.

I am now 143lbs and will lose another 10-15 to hit goal.

Before photo at 227lbs

photo1-2_zpsd93d9cb8.jpg

After photo at 145lbs or thereabout.
    a059b50e-a9b8-43b1-83dc-74384972b564_zps9c4c67f6.jpg
  • notgivingupever
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm turning 50 in 89 days! I am a mom of 7 year old triplets and since I was promoted to a supervisory position 3 1/2 years ago, I gained 40 pounds. That's on top of the 10 I wanted to lose back then. I have never felt so out of control in my life and I am a STRESS eater. It's so nice to be able to come here for motivation.
  • megansam1145
    megansam1145 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I'm a young-at-heart (61) and feeling better than ever. 34 pounds gone and determined to make 50. Down from 201 in January 2014 and feeling great. MFP has been a real find in helping me with food tracking, education and friendly motivation. My husband is down 15 pounds also. These last few weeks have provided plenty of NSVs: All my pants are too big and my bras are leading very sad empty lives now! What a joy it is to be without the ugly weight. Great to be part of the MFP community.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some of these are so awe inspiring! I'm 44, a competitive kickboxer , that is looking to add strength without adding weight to stay in my "weight class" for sparing. I'm rangy so it's hard to tell by looking when I gain muscle but I'm getting faster and more agile slowly. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Cby60
    Cby60 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We are never to old to exercise. My in-laws are 92 and 93 and they walk outside spring, summer and fall and use ski poles for balance. This past year they were both walking at least 4 km and found they got too tired so instead they do 2 km in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. They also lift weights and do stretches. In winter they walk the hallways and stairs. They are amazing and my inspiration! My mother-law has macular degeneration and is basically blind but she still tries to do everything. She fell in September and spent the whole winter healing very slowly and I am so amazed that she is walking and exercising again. Until their mid 80's they went on long camping trips in a tent and until last year still pulled a camper and went canoeing. I bet this summer they will canoe again! Their advice is always to eat healthy and to keep exercising.
  • brendaks62
    brendaks62 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yep im 52 and the weight definiely comes off SLOWER than years ago. always was "hippy" and carried weight around lower abs but upper body was leaner. now as i age my upper body is carrying more annoying fat and also back fat that i did nt use to have. have started walking a few months ago to lose the extra 30-40 lbs i have.

I am tring to concentrate on feeling heathy vs the weight that i lose. But i will say since i started walking and also doing Jilliamn MIchaels DVDs i am noticing inches lost more that weight. and i do feel better and stronger. i am able to walk and jog on treadmill with the jogging part going for longer periods of time. now with nice weather here in Ohio i have started walking outside also.

good luck to all of us "older" people LOL. just because we are older does not mean we have to settlle with extra weight! our hard work will pay off, it just may take longer now. :)
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Weight might come off slower now, but that might be because I no longer eat to a "diet plan" for now. I can still lose weight fast if I eat nothing but grapefruit, but I know that I will just gain it back immediately.

My goal until I reach my weight I want to stay at is to weigh less at the end of every month than I did at the beginning of it. I have learned that weighing .5 pounds less, is healthier than any weight gain, and for the first time in the last 40 years, I have lost weight and kept it off for years. Yes, I would like to be at goal now, but I personally would rather go very slow and never go back to being obese. I have a weight loss journey still ahead of me, but I am determined to avoid the weight gain side trip.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" (gosh I used to be 5'2") fancy losing a whole inch with age.:grumble: ..never mind I still love me as I am:bigsmile:

I am now 143lbs.

simply put it is "any food in of itself or in combination with other foods, which inhibit my body from flooding insulin into my system when I eat"
    I eat mostly leafy green/ cruciferous vegetables with a very limited amount of starchy vegetables, with moderate amounts of lean protein and a moderate amount of MUFA.

I walk daily... between 5 and 10 miles...I find it effortless and very enjoyable.

Before photo at 227lbs

photo1-2_zpsd93d9cb8.jpg

WOW! You are amazing! My starting weight and goal are very close to yours and I'm 43. I do not want to be still fighting this battle into my 50s. I love seeing what is possible with patience, persistence and hard work. So impressive!
  • bjabdullah
    bjabdullah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I'm 66 and (God Willing) I'm determined to release these extra pounds. MFP is a great instrument for tracking food and exercise. We can do this!:smile:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I lost …well 100 and then I gained some so I am hovering around 80 lost. Being strong is good! I started long boarding last year! love it! It is definitely worth it!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's never too late, you just have to approach it a little differently and it may take longer. I am fitter now than many women half my age. I got my black belt in karate at 52, so menopause and weight gain are not going to beat me!!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    We are never to old to exercise. My in-laws are 92 and 93 and they walk outside spring, summer and fall and use ski poles for balance. This past year they were both walking at least 4 km and found they got too tired so instead they do 2 km in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. They also lift weights and do stretches. In winter they walk the hallways and stairs. They are amazing and my inspiration! My mother-law has macular degeneration and is basically blind but she still tries to do everything. She fell in September and spent the whole winter healing very slowly and I am so amazed that she is walking and exercising again. Until their mid 80's they went on long camping trips in a tent and until last year still pulled a camper and went canoeing. I bet this summer they will canoe again! Their advice is always to eat healthy and to keep exercising.

Awesome. Thanks for posting this one.
  • hwinnm
    hwinnm Posts: 6
    Options
    Keep it up and please avoid comparing apples to apple seeds!
    You are unique and being healthy and fit is more than skin deep. Your preventing disease and loving your self are what matter. :flowerforyou:
  • brendaks62
    Options
    awesome job. great inspiration!
  • brendaks62
    Options

I am now 143lbs.

Before photo at 227lbs

photo1-2_zpsd93d9cb8.jpg

WOW! You are amazing! My starting weight and goal are very close to yours and I'm 43. I do not want to be still fighting this battle into my 50s. I love seeing what is possible with patience, persistence and hard work. So impressive!
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to look like a 20 yo at 45, then yes, throw in the towel...

I disagree. I look better than most of the 20-somethings I see. :drinker:
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It was 51 weeks ago that this picture was taken, I WAS 45 years old. I'm a nurse and I had a practicum student, I went to her pinning ceremony and her mom posted this picture on Facebook. I could not believe how bad I looked. I was unhappy with my weight and appearance, and my next size up was plus size. This was my turning point.
    267a251e40cf47c596a8d758960b6ca3.jpg[/URL]

I figured out my TDEE, ate enough to lose and had some success. In August, 5 days before my 46th birthday, I decided to start the couch to 5k program for the EIGHTH TIME. I was succesful and ran a 5k in October. I then started training for a 10k and completed it on January 1, 9th place in my age group! I decided to train for a half marathon.... Little did I know winter would be so horrible. I got behind in my training tried to catch up and ended up hurting myself. I was out of exercise for a while and gained some of my weight back. This photo was taken a month ago. It's the only full body one I have that's recent, I look like my belly is sticking out, but that's just the print on my size small dress and sweater. I've since lost a few more pounds.
    8b07d9f3095945d9908e24a04db4d6ca.jpg[/URL]

I ran 10 miles yesterday! My half marathon is in 8 days and I can't wait. I used to not believe in myself but now I do.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!