holistic approach to weight loss

Options
I read all the do's and don'ts to losing weight and they frustrate me. I think when i get the spiritual, emotional, social, financial and intellectual parts of my life in better balance I will be able to lose the weight I need to lose for my health. So i am working inch by inch to deal with those parts of my health and hope to lose the weight eventually. I am in no financial position to quit my job as I think that if i could a big stressor would be taken away, and start to open the door to weight loss. i can however take baby steps towards how I respond and looking for another job. I could write more but shall stop for now. What are your thoughts to a holistic approach to weight loss?

Replies

• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i think taking life as a whole is important

it depends on your goal though, mine is to feel healthier and be fitter, so losing weight is just part of that
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Certainly not unreasonable. Lots of people have trouble losing because of stress either pushing them off their diet (stress eating) or making them lose focus (worrying over bills and not paying attention to their diet). I think that someone that has a lot of other issues on their plate and aren't in immediate medical danger may want to focus on cleaning up their lives before they put all their focus on weight loss.
  • PS85UK
    PS85UK Posts: 6
    Options
    In my experience, it can work to build anticipation before you start with the actual lifestyle changes you need to make in terms of nutrition and exercise, but it can also lead to procrastination because the perfect circumstances will never exist. I've learnt that making changes in terms of what I eat and how much exercise I get has a direct impact on how well I cope with my work and personal situation. The more you improve, the easier life gets overall. It's also a positive cycle and you're more likely to take small victories re weight loss as motivators for other aspects of your life. Work-related stress can be very well countered with exercise. If you hit a plateau, there will always be something else that you can take pride in. I never see weight and/or fitness as isolated from the rest of my life. That's what I understand as a holistic approach.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If I had to do this holistically then I'd never do anything because it wouldn't all line up - for me (not saying for you) it would be an excuse to not do anything.

Doing one little thing often leads to another for me. I cycled to work the last few of days which made me want to eat healthier so then I started bringing in salads for lunch. Today I did the same and left money at home so I wouldn't be tempted by snacks in the office.

Obviously different things work for different people, but it's too easy for me to procrastinate which gives me time to self sabotage.
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    ^^^ also true for me

lots of little steps cna get you a long way

I find that good habits are harder to break than good intentions
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think there's a misrepresentation here of what it means to take a holistic approach. It certainly shouldn't mean that you don't do anything until everything is perfect.

Rather it means as well as looking at the direct cause (too much food in mouth) you look beyond that to the whys.

You look at your behavior and why you do what you do. You look at the patterns in your life and why they are the way they are. And then you make changes to those as well. Because when you're looking at things holistically you're looking at a feedback loop. Every change you make affects all other aspects.

Prioritizing which problems you deal with first, is also a good idea, but it's a fundamentally different concept.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Holistically the ONLY thing one needs to do to lose weight is just eat less than one burns. Don't need to make it any more complicated than that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think there's a misrepresentation here of what it means to take a holistic approach. It certainly shouldn't mean that you don't do anything until everything is perfect.

Rather it means as well as looking at the direct cause (too much food in mouth) you look beyond that to the whys.

You look at your behavior and why you do what you do. You look at the patterns in your life and why they are the way they are. And then you make changes to those as well. Because when you're looking at things holistically you're looking at a feedback loop. Every change you make affects all other aspects.

Prioritizing which problems you deal with first, is also a good idea, but it's a fundamentally different concept.

Agreed.

Also, changing lots of things at once is a stressor in itself! I don't think weight loss in itself should be so hard you have to quit your job to do it.

Try changing small things, one at a time, and see what happens. If you are stressed at work, talk to your manager about reducing that. If like me you are a comfort eater, switch your favourite nibbles to something low calorie at the same time. That for me is an example of a hollistic approach to weight loss - treating both symptom (excess nibbling) and cause (stress) at the same time.

Exercise is also good for stress. You could try taking a walk in your lunch break - a break at lunch will reduce your work stress, you'll get some fresh (ish if you live in the city :smile:) air.

These are just suggestions, you have to find what works for you. Go little by little and make changes in all areas of your life.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    If you wait until everything in your life is balanced to begin getting healthy - that day will never come. Start now and make changes.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I agree with the above.

I have a very stressful family life and it certainly impacts on my physical health and vice versa. It's not going to change and there's no point waiting for it to get better before doing something about something else.

Eating well, doing physical activity you enjoy and being kind to yourself will pay dividends, not just for weight loss, but improving your self esteem or managing stress better for tackling something else.

Whilst it is a simple case of cals in/out for weight loss, I found there was little point of things in the long run if I didn't address my use of alcohol and junk food as a way of managing things and look at the reason I did it, rather than just reducing cals and beating myself up when I lapsed again.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I personally do not believe that your life has to be going okay for you to lose weight, or at least be trying to lose weight. My life is hard right now, it is just awful actually, and doing even little things is a lot harder than it should be. I am still eating less and moving more. I have the perfect excuse to be fat and sad, but I am not taking it. I am making myself a better me.

It sounded to me like you were saying, I can't even try to lose weight because of X.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Holistically the ONLY thing one needs to do to lose weight is just eat less than one burns. Don't need to make it any more complicated than that.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I would have thought that as a certified personal trainer you would understand that the causes of people eating too much are varied and often psychological. I find it very surprising that you dismiss them so easily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I would have thought that as a certified personal trainer you would understand that the causes of people eating too much are varied and often psychological. I find it very surprising that you dismiss them so easily.
    Not dimissing it, but consumption of food is in TOTAL control of the person. Job stress, lack of time to exercise, etc. may not be. The choices of food aren't "forced" on a person, they choose those foods themselves. Weight loss it DIRECTLY connected to food consumption and just changing that alone will more than likely make it much easier to transition other areas one needs to work on. If one CAN'T take control of the one thing they have control over, how are they supposed to remedy the issues of the ones they don't have control over?
    I think empathetically and have to because my job is to NOT let some reasons stop people from achieving.

IDEA Fitness member
  • loistryin
    loistryin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Those are awesome tips. Thank you!!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    We tend to compartmentalize our lives... I suppose we learned it in school.. We went to reading, then Language, then Math, then... Certainly it is important to not lose sight of the big picture; honestly, there are those that weight control must be job one since they are morbidly obese and their very lives are threatened by it... Others have other priorities. In a truly holistic approach though, I would very well think that one would have to work on all segments simultaneously... Focus on de-stressing but part of that is the diet and exercise that comes from getting more healthy. Best wishes on your endeavors. i hope you find what works best for YOU... Only you can make that determination. Balance in All things.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I fully agree. I don't think losing weight is just about counting calories or drinking a protein shake. As someone who struggled with her weight for years I didn't become overweight just because I didn't know what to eat. I become overweight as a result of some deeper issues that I was dealing with. I think losing weight is mental, physical, emotional, and yes even spiritual. This is also what will make the changes lasting.
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    Those are awesome tips. Thank you!!!
    My pleasure
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I kind of looked at it from a different perspective. By being fitter & healthier I'd have more energy to deal with the stress of my job. If I lost some weight it might increase my chances in an interview (first impressions and all that). What i've found is that exercising regularly has massively reduced my stress levels - bad day at work followed by a run and suddenly the day's stresses have gone and I sleep well. If I'd waited for everything to be right with my world I'd still be 106lbs fatter than I am now. Taking control of my health has has massive beneficial knock on effects in all other aspects of my life and my very being. The rest was just procrastination and excuses for not starting a daunting task of amending my lifestyle.

I hope you get to where you want be :flowerforyou: