2 1/2 weeks of Atkins Induction Experiment

Options

Replies

• sharongstewart
    Options
    My son and daughter-in-law each lost around 70lbs. 12 years ago before their wedding eating low carb. They were very good to stick to it and list weight fast. I was so impressed, I started it myself and lost 35 lbs. we all looked great for the wedding. Their weight began coming back pretty fast until they had gained all of it and more back. I gradually did as well. I have started and stopped several times since then, but last week I decided to get serious! I am a 60 year old female in good health. After the first 4 days of induction I had lost 4 lbs. I haven't weighed myself in a few days. Tomorrow will be the start of week 2. I feel good that my motivation has lasted through the weekend and a midweek church potluck. I'll check back periodically with updates. Wish me luck!
  • chrissoucie
    Options
    How do I set my MyFitness pal for the Atkins diet?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    How do I set my MyFitness pal for the Atkins diet?

Home>Goals>Change Goals>Custom
  • aztlandreams
    Options
    This is the first time reading anything on kidney stone issues with the atkins. Or that I have read anyway. I am sticking to fish (M (tilapia and shrimp only), chicken, and ground turkey. No red meat, bacon (not had any yet). Starting my 2nd week today. 8lbs down. I am being more observant and respectful of the atkins diet in trying to follow it to a tee.
  • jbangert84
    Options
    Were you able to figure out how to change it? I've also looked EVERYWHERE and can't seem to find a setting either :(
  • chrissoucie
    Options
    I did find out how to set myfinesspal up for atkins.

Home>Goals>Change Goals>Custom

Carbs 5%
    Protein 25%
    Fat 65%
    Calories 1800

I had an issue of it constantly going back to original settings. I figured it out as long as I only use my Ipad or computer it stayed. If I logged in to add food from my android phone it reset. Currently I use my Ipad and computer. I hope this helps.
  • sassyred3233
    Options
    I follow and Atkin's approach, which is low carb but not considered a "high" protein diet. I would encourage everyone to read about Atkins before you try it and find the exact guidelines. I eat meat & poultry, veggies,beans and fruit and dairy. My carbs come from healthier places than bread & pasta. I just started back on it after feeling bloated and crappy after a few days of eating breads. Everyones bodies work differently so I think you should do what works for you. I have done Atkins off and on for years now with no kidney stones. I am always sure to get enough veggie carbs and tons of water
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest going on the Atkins diet long-term unless you are being monitored by a doctor. Back in 1999, I lost 100 lbs on the Atkins diet over a nine month period. I thought it was great. Didn't miss the bread or pasta at all and was rarely hungry. Then came my first (of many) kidney stone attacks. Over the next 10 years I had to have outpatient surgery at least once a year, sometimes twice a year to have my kidney stones broken up so they could pass. Not a fun time..

My wife also had a kidney stone while on Atkins. I lost a ton on Atkins years ago and it was easy, but my cholesterol spiked and I was put on a statin. Now I'm just watching calories and not eating cholesterol (well, very little-just what's in a protein shake) and don't take a statin.

Make that 3 !!
    On Atkins, my brother had 2 rounds of kidney stones. Was only in his 30s !!
    He's always been healthy, not overly overweight. Only 20-25 lbs extra
    This is the first time reading anything on kidney stone issues with the atkins. Or that I have read anyway. I am sticking to fish (M (tilapia and shrimp only), chicken, and ground turkey. No red meat, bacon (not had any yet). Starting my 2nd week today. 8lbs down. I am being more observant and respectful of the atkins diet in trying to follow it to a tee.

March 17, 2003 -- High-protein diets like that of the popular Atkins diet may accelerate the loss of kidney function in people with early problems.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030317/high-protein-diets-can-hurt-kidneys

October 24, 2013 - when too many ketones build up in the bloodstream, the pH of the urine changes from neutral to slightly acidic, which can put stress on the kidneys and potentially raise the risk of developing kidney stones. When too many ketones build up in the bloodstream, the pH of the urine changes from neutral to slightly acidic, which can put stress on the kidneys and potentially raise the risk of developing kidney stones.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/410560-protein-ketones-and-kidney-stones/

For most healthy people, a high-protein diet generally isn't harmful if followed for a short time, such as six months or less, and may help with weight loss. The risks of using a high-protein diet with carbohydrate restriction for the long term are still being studied. Several health problems may result if a high-protein diet is followed for an extended time: A high-protein diet may worsen kidney function in people with kidney disease

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/high-protein-diets/faq-20058207
  • caramm1
    caramm1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • mandylong
    Options
    Go to settings>goals>advanced nutrition goals. Change carbs to 5%. I put protein at 60%, fat at 35% but am still researching the exact ratio. ,)
  • AliSR9
    AliSR9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The problem with people getting kidney stones on the "high protein" Atkins diet is that it is NOT a high protein diet. If you read the diet you are supposed to have 18-20 net carbs with around 12-14 of those coming from foundational vegetables. If you eat as the original poster did you will probably have issues. if you actually follow the diet its unlikely you will.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if cutting out a complete food group is ever a good idea?

The very fact that weight loss occurs 'could' be entirely down to the fact that (as it turns out) the total calorific intake was down to 1800 anyway....

So, would the same loss have been achieved on a more 'balanced' (what ever that means) 1800 cal diet anyway... oh and possibly fewer medical issues.......???
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options

The very fact that weight loss occurs 'could' be entirely down to the fact that (as it turns out) the total calorific intake was down to 1800 anyway....

So, would the same loss have been achieved on a more 'balanced' (what ever that means) 1800 cal diet anyway... oh and possibly fewer medical issues.......???

It's simply a way that some people have decided to get rid of some calories. Is it needed? Hell no. They could lose the same amount without reducing their carbs to some silly low level (minus medical reasons here people!).

I once did South Beach. It worked. I lost weight and a decent amount to. However, when I started to eat "normally" again, I put most of it back on. Why? Because I couldn't stick with it. This time I did calorie counting, lost just as well, and am having better luck keeping it off. Why? Because I can still have all my favorite foods and not have to cut out whole food groups when I don't WANT to eat like that the rest of my life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

It's simply a way that some people have decided to get rid of some calories. Is it needed? Hell no. They could lose the same amount without reducing their carbs to some silly low level (minus medical reasons here people!).

I once did South Beach. It worked. I lost weight and a decent amount to. However, when I started to eat "normally" again, I put most of it back on. Why? Because I couldn't stick with it. This time I did calorie counting, lost just as well, and am having better luck keeping it off. Why? Because I can still have all my favorite foods and not have to cut out whole food groups when I don't WANT to eat like that the rest of my life.
    You lost weight because of a calorie deficit, and you GAINED weight because of a calorie surplus.
  • byrdman748
    Options
    I personally have always been an advocate my whole life of calories in calories out plain and simple. But recently after being on a low fat low calorie 802 1400 per day on which I was doing well one and a half pounds per week los on average 4 the last 3 months lately my weight loss has been slow down greatly on the same calories so I decided to try Atkins induction I have been on induction for the last 7 days and have lost more than 10 pounds eating way more calories per day around 1900 which would have took me probably eight weeks or more to lose on my low calorie diet my water weight was already gone from the beginning of my low calorie diet in which I started at 800 calories a day to jump start it Atkins goes against everything I believe is healthy on a diet it feels crazy the way I've been eating bacon and fried eggs for breakfast nice big steak chicken breast fried in butter it does make me appreciate vegetables more I have been following it pretty much to the T except for I added in nuts which they say you shouldn't addon until phase 2 I guess I felt pretty tired the first few days on induction but now I have good energy. This diet definitely works.I will probably switch to the anabolic diet soon I'm trying to gain as much muscle as possible and eating carbs on the weekend is going to be a lot of fun!
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with carbs lately, and haven't been losing, even with large amounts of exercise (cardio, intervals, and lifting).

So I've gone Atkins for now. I'm in day 2, so we'll see if I can get through the low-energy part.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options

You lost weight because of a calorie deficit, and you GAINED weight because of a calorie surplus.

Ummm, yea. That is what I said. Look at the first sentence.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Seems to be acceptable if you're a vegetarian or vegan, coeliac or whatever.

Are "carbs" a "food group" anyway ?
  • keidafox
    keidafox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did the Atkins lifestyle for about two months. He lost around 30 pounds and I only lost about 10 but we both felt great!. We used the newest book "The New Atkins Made Easy" and they even give you sample meal plans along with laying everything out for you. We decided to take a break so we could enjoy some non-Atkins food over the massive collection of graduation parties that are about to take place, but just tonight we were both talking about how we miss it, and how we want to cheat on our not-diet by going back to it. When we went back to eating "normally" we immediately felt bloated, and gassy. Eating too many carbs makes us feel miserable. What a lot of people don't realize about Atkins is that meat/protein IS NOT the majority of your diet. Most of the food you consume throughout the diet is vegetables!!!! A typical dinner for us was 4-6 ounces of protein and half of a dinner plate of veggies. Our biggest problem was the skyrocketing grocery bill from those massive amounts of vegetables, lol.