WHEN do I start lifting?

So I have lost around 20 lbs the last couple of months, and now at a weight of 144 lbs at 5'7'' (so that's a BMI of 22.6, I have no idea what my body fat % is though).
I would love to get started in lifiting weights and tone up, but I seriously do still feel like I need to lose way more fat before I could possibly see any muscles at all.
When did you guys start lifting weight? Should I wait until I'm at 130 or something? I'm really unsure.

Replies

• ljmcf
    ljmcf Posts: 98 Member
    Start now! I'm also 5'7 but a lot heavier than you...I've been lifting for the past couple of months and what a different I've seen even in that time, my body is tightening and toning and it feels great. Don't delay! :)
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    some folks love heavy lifting

i would say start some form of strength training (resistance/bodyweight/weight) as soon as you can
    i'm not building muscle as i'm still losing, but feeling more toned is really nice
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    START TODAY!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Now! Your weight probably won't go down any more with lifting, but your inches sure will. It takes a couple of weeks before changes can be seen and summer is coming. Weights burn fat like cwazy. :smile:
  • Start now! I'm also 5'7 but a lot heavier than you...I've been lifting for the past couple of months and what a different I've seen even in that time, my body is tightening and toning and it feels great. Don't delay! :)

This but once you start lifting focus on inches etc you may see a weight gain but you dont walk around with you weight on your shirt you will loook smaller tighter and stronger xxx
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Now is the time! ????
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    I'm 5'6" and 152 lb and I lift and I have some gorgeous muscles coming out after a few months of lifting. Do it! I honestly have changed the way my body looks just by lifting and I miss it when I don't do it (like this week).
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    I agree with the others. Start now!! Lifting helps preserve muscle mass as you lose. You may not see the muscle definition while you have body fat on top to lose, but you will still lose inches as things tighten up.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Start now! I'm also 5'7 but a lot heavier than you...I've been lifting for the past couple of months and what a different I've seen even in that time, my body is tightening and toning and it feels great. Don't delay! :)

This but once you start lifting focus on inches etc you may see a weight gain but you dont walk around with you weight on your shirt you will loook smaller tighter and stronger xxx

This...or if you have a time machine 2 months ago...

I am also 5 ft 7 and 157lbs...I've been lifting for almost 7 months...my body is not as tight as I want it but it's getting there...I still wear a size 5/6 tho...
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    YESTERDAY.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    YESTERDAY.

Yep....
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    I hate lifting.
    Pole dance all the way.
    I started doing weights and I got so bored with it I couldn't do it consistently.
    Started doing pole...now I have definition in my back and arms...I can do rock climbing without a problem. LoL-I'll always be an advocate of finding a strength training that works for you...whether it's weights or something else.
    But I agree-I didn't start to see changes in my body fat % and muscle tone until I added strength training.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Right away! My body fat 5 didn't really change before I started.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    you should ALWAYS have some type of strength(this could be weight lifting or some type of HIIT circuit training like Insanity) training in your workout regimen, the lean muscle mass is whats going to sustain and accelerate your cardio fat burning.

if you have the time, do a quick cardio warm up before you do your strength training then finish out with cardio, this is prob one of the best combos for fat loss

o yeah make sure your protein intake is on point also
  • adrianhelen
    adrianhelen Posts: 31 Member
    Weights are a great way to help you lose. Building muscle helps burn fat. It sound like you are worried about bulking up. Remember less weight and more reps/sets. Also in the first 4 to 6 weeks you will notice a little more bulk, this is normal. Also when you first lifting your muscles may retain some fluid. On days you do weights get a little extra protein to help your muscles repair themselves.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    ASAP!

Although, it would be wise to do a little homework first. Find a lifting plan free online, watch a few videos, practice your form using very little (if any) weight, while adding a little weight each time you workout.

But in response to the idea that it's "great for weight loss", that's misleading. It doesn't have as high of a burn as cardio (weight loss is achieved by a calorie deficit), BUT it's great in the fact that it helps preserve lean body mass while on a deficit. In other words, maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss. Plus your weight may even go up a couple pounds while your muscles retain water to repair themselves.

Best of luck!!:drinker:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Weights are a great way to help you lose. Building muscle helps burn fat. It sound like you are worried about bulking up. Remember less weight and more reps/sets. Also in the first 4 to 6 weeks you will notice a little more bulk, this is normal. Also when you first lifting your muscles may retain some fluid. On days you do weights get a little extra protein to help your muscles repair themselves.

No. More weights/less reps.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Start now! You can still lift while eating at a deficit and lose fat. It may be slow going, but it's definitely worth it!
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Start now! Keep eating at a deficit and you'll still lose fat, but you'll also gain muscle! And more muscle is better for fat burning!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    NOW