6 minute abs YouTube - worth doing?

Options
hp1988
hp1988 Posts: 23 Member
Hey everyone,

This morning I started doing a 6 minute abs video from YouTube before my morning shower. Is it worth doing a quick 6 mins in the morning or not really worth it if you aren't even getting your heart rate up? I'm just doing it for toning, but wondering how effective people think it will be. It's got to be better than nothing?

Thanks!

Hanna

Replies

• la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    they are worth doing because it will strengthen your core, but cardio and or calorie deficit will help achieve the "tone" you are looking for.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    They must be worth doing, surely! I've just started doing a 30 day abs challenge, and onto day 3 today. My god, i feel like i've been kicked by a horse! No pain, no gain.
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you do it as part of other exercises yes, if you're just doing that and nothing else, I don't think so.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I would think it's better than nothing and it'll certainly do something towards strengthening your core. I'm not sure it'll be enough to give you a six pack though!
  • hp1988
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm doing it alongside other stuff, it's just a little extra thing to do, to hopefully help tone. I'll keep at it and see if I feel any different after a month..hopefully! As 6 mins a day extra is nothing really, especially in the morning when I'm half asleep anyway :)
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

This morning I started doing a 6 minute abs video from YouTube before my morning shower. Is it worth doing a quick 6 mins in the morning or not really worth it if you aren't even getting your heart rate up? I'm just doing it for toning, but wondering how effective people think it will be. It's got to be better than nothing?

Thanks!

Hanna

I'm assuming this video was mostly different variations of crunches and situps? If so.....

If you enjoy doing them pain free, go ahead. As far as "toning", it serves no purpose. They do nothing to burn fat, and they are not the greatest at core strength either. I can't remember the studies done, so this is purely Broscience right now, it takes about 250,000 crunches/situps to burn 1lbs of fat!

If you're after the "toned, hard, 6 pack stomach look", you'll need a proper nutrition plan to lower your BF, and or core strengthening exercises, like:

Compound lifts (squats, deadlifts)
    Planks (and all variations)
    Isometric holds (L-sits, V-holds)
    Toes to bar
    etc.....
  • hp1988
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Hanna

I'm assuming this video was mostly different variations of crunches and situps? If so.....

If you enjoy doing them pain free, go ahead. As far as "toning", it serves no purpose. They do nothing to burn fat, and they are not the greatest at core strength either. I can't remember the studies done, so this is purely Broscience right now, it takes about 250,000 crunches/situps to burn 1lbs of fat!

If you're after the "toned, hard, 6 pack stomach look", you'll need a proper nutrition plan to lower your BF, and or core strengthening exercises, like:

Toes to bar
    etc.....

It's basically a lot of leg raises, crunches, plank, side leg raises, some squats (mainly variations of crunches and leg raises). So are there ANY benefits in your opinion? Except for a very small amount of improvement for the core?
  • steve0820
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Hanna

Toes to bar
    etc.....

It's basically a lot of leg raises, crunches, plank, side leg raises, some squats (mainly variations of crunches and leg raises). So are there ANY benefits in your opinion? Except for a very small amount of improvement for the core?

It will condition your core for sure. But, lowering your BF will give you the look you're going for, which will be the most important part. With that, you also want to strengthen you're core. I have personally found through the years, that crunches/situps/leg raises, really have done nothing as far as revealing a 6 pack, or losing inches from the waist. I've done kickboxing/MT for years, and anyone who's done this, can attest to the amount of crunches/situps you can do during classes. Fast forward today, I do no crunches, lift Heavy, and even on a bulk, I still have more "abs", then I ever did.

In the beginning, you should see a slight difference with doing those exercises, unfortunately, it would be short lived. Doing a lot of crunches and situps, gets you better at doing crunches and situps.

1) Nutrition (lower BF)
    2 Core strength (compound lift/isometrics)
  • hp1988
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Hanna

Toes to bar
    etc.....

It will condition your core for sure. But, lowering your BF will give you the look you're going for, which will be the most important part. With that, you also want to strengthen you're core. I have personally found through the years, that crunches/situps/leg raises, really have done nothing as far as revealing a 6 pack, or losing inches from the waist. I've done kickboxing/MT for years, and anyone who's done this, can attest to the amount of crunches/situps you can do during classes. Fast forward today, I do no crunches, lift Heavy, and even on a bulk, I still have more "abs", then I ever did.

In the beginning, you should see a slight difference with doing those exercises, unfortunately, it would be short lived. Doing a lot of crunches and situps, gets you better at doing crunches and situps.

1) Nutrition (lower BF)
    2 Core strength (compound lift/isometrics)

Thanks Steve. The plan is to lower my BF anyway so this is just to supplement it/give me a bit of manageable activity in the morning (to hopefully increase in future). That's really useful info - I'll keep at it for now, to get in the habit of doing something before work, if nothing else, but aim to go for more core workouts in future/when at the gym.
  • steve0820
    Options
    You're welcome! If you're already trying to lower your BF and eating at a deficit, you'll reach you're goal eventually. The core work is supplemental and for core strength. For me personally, I focus on a core strength. Helps with all other exercises and movements. Getting a 6 pack is purely aesthetic and a bonus. Having a 6 pack doesn't mean having a strong core.

So really it comes down to what goals you have. Either, a) 6 pack "tone" look b) core strength, or c) both
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Hanna

Can you post the link to the workout? Below are two links for 8 minute plank workouts that I do after work.

Plank Workouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mV-c3u2KAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzaUmLaTjI
  • hp1988
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Hanna

Can you post the link to the workout? Below are two links for 8 minute plank workouts that I do after work.

Plank Workouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mV-c3u2KAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzaUmLaTjI

Sure! It's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbbcu2LvqcI

It's 6 minutes, then additional 3ish minute of plank if you want to carry on. I'll try yours out too, they look good!
  • hp1988
    Options
    You're welcome! If you're already trying to lower your BF and eating at a deficit, you'll reach you're goal eventually. The core work is supplemental and for core strength. For me personally, I focus on a core strength. Helps with all other exercises and movements. Getting a 6 pack is purely aesthetic and a bonus. Having a 6 pack doesn't mean having a strong core.

So really it comes down to what goals you have. Either, a) 6 pack "tone" look b) core strength, or c) both

Well really I'm just hoping to get a flatter stomach and firm it up a bit (but like you said, this will be mainly through lowering BF) so I'll carry on doing these little workouts just to supplement....I'll just make sure I'm not expecting a six pack, haha!
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it'll help in strengthening your core. It won't help getting six pack abs though but it'll bring it out more if you achieve it.