Lose 15lbs in 2 months??

Options
Is it possible to lose about 15 pounds in about 2 months? I'm trying to lose a total of 50 pounds for a wedding I'm going to be in. If it's possible any tips?

Replies

• theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sure. That's about 2 pounds a week.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose about 15 pounds in about 2 months? I'm trying to lose a total of 50 pounds for a wedding I'm going to be in. If it's possible any tips?

Yeah that is doable, although if you stick with it after you drop below 40 pounds overweight you might want adjust down to losing 1.5 pounds a week instead of 2 and another step down if you get to only 20 pounds overweight.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have left to lose. As you get closer to goal, you're body will hold on tighter and tighter to the last remaining pounds. But if you're just starting, 2 pounds a week is probably doable.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week is do able, but it is aggressive, If you have a lot to lose to be a healthy weight then it is more attainable. Your TDEE (the calories you burn daily with activity) will be higher the bigger you are it will also decrease as you lose weight, When that happens your deficient may shrink and as you get closer to goal .5 -1 lbs per week loss is more likely. Being too aggressive can risk health issues, looks and the ability to maintain your goal weight.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Yes, set MFP to lose 2 pounds per week. Log all your food and try to be as accurate as you can, using a food scale is the best way to do this. The amount you are eating is more important than what you eat, but obviously you can eat a lot more of "healthier" foods for the same amount of calories as "junk" foods. But you don't have to cut out entire food groups. Drink a lot of water. Get a little exercise, 30 minutes of walking a day if you can. Or start wherever you can and work up, 5 minutes or 10 minutes, until you are doing 30.
  • mallory5385
    mallory5385 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose. Over 100 pounds to lose. Thank you everyone for all your help :)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Like the folks are saying here, it is physically doable, but one additional suggestion I would make is that as you go, be very careful not to fall into the mental trap of making this wedding your ultimate "goal". I say this because many if not most people who do this type of thing end up gaining the weight back after the "big event" due to the fact that they attempted to apply a temporary band aid to the gushing wound that is chronic overeating. In other words, you set this date up in your head as the "solution" to your problems (i.e., "if I could just lose the weight for this wedding then everything will be better"), you white knuckle it for a couple months, and then the big day hits and there's a massive emotional release.... and then the following day you find your motivation absolutely gone and you snap back into old habit patterns.

I'm not saying this WILL happen to you, I'm just forewarning you that it's very, very common.

If I were you, I'd set your mind on changing your LIFE from here on out, do it sensibly, be patient and do it right (which means, for LIFE), and if you happen to lose enough to make a certain weight by the wedding? Then Great. Not necessary, but great. Not that losing two lbs a week isn't "right" - that's fine. But I'd just shift your goal mentally away from "I HAVE to lose 50 by this wedding" to "I NEED to change my life permanently so that I am a healthy and happy person".

Hope that makes sense. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose. Over 100 pounds to lose. Thank you everyone for all your help :)

If you are serious about this and meticulously log your calories and stick with a diet and add a bit of exercise, something as simple as going for a walk, you can make a serious difference in your weight and the inches around your body in the span of several months.

As was mentioned though I hope you consider this motivation to start a long journey and not just a crash diet that ends after a few months.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting.
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    I agree with those above, setting goals are great but just remember if you are making a life style change no matter what your loss is at the wedding you will look better, feel better and be on the road to a new you.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hey all. It's only 15lbs we are talking here. Yes, for 2 months she will be on a strict diet but if she gains some of the weight back no biggie. After the wedding she can decide if she needs/wants to make a lifestyle change.
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    Hey all. It's only 15lbs we are talking here. Yes, for 2 months she will be on a strict diet but if she gains some of the weight back no biggie. After the wedding she can decide if she needs/wants to make a lifestyle change.

She is looking to lose 50 before a wedding that is why the comments.
  • mallory5385
    mallory5385 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 15 pounds by the wedding as a mini weight goal. Aren't we supposed to be making goals?? I wanted to make a small goal (for example lose the first 25 pounds) then move on to the next goal. I have a lot of weight to lose and I'm in the mind set that this is how my life is going to be where I'm going to diet and exercise. That I'm not going to eat over my calories. And I have been normally walking every night for 30-45 minutes. I just wanted to know if it was do able. To gain some CONFIDENCE that I could actually do it.
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    Sorry, I meant to harm. It just reads you are looking to lose 50 by the wedding. Nobody meant anything bad, just sometimes when someone makes a huge goal with a set date, after that date they lack motivation. 15lbs before a wedding is a great goal and very attainable
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting.
    Agreed.

lost just over 20 the first month doing it.
  • maedchen13
    Options
    Can you please explain the intermitent fasting? I'd like to try it.
  • thavoice
    Options
    Can you please explain the intermitent fasting? I'd like to try it.
    Check out the group 5:2 on here, and ADF on facebook.

https://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/reviews/alternate-day-fasting.htm

There are diff ways to do it, but in a nutshell this is how it goes.

Figure our your calories needed to maintain your weight.

On the 5:2 (fastting 2 days) you eat your maintenance weight for 5 days, and fast on two days. Some will tout eating up to 500 calories on the fasting days. You can fast any two days, but alot like to do it Monday and Thursday.
    What this does is create a deficit. I do a 4:3 where I fast m-w-f

The genius of it is you dont have to do a calender day. You can do 24 hour cycles, which I do.

My schedule is this:

Sunday dinner around 1900.
    Fast until monday evening around 1900.
    Monday evening through tuesday evening at 1900 I eat my maintain calories.
    Tuesday 1900-wednesday 1900 I fast.
    Wed 1900-thurs at 1900 I eat to my maintain calories.
    Thur 1900-fri @ 1900 I fast.
    Saturday I eat my maintain.
    Sunday I eat my maintain.

This creates a caloric deficit.

What I live about the 24 hour cycle instead of a calender day is that if you get hungry during the day, you know in a few hours you can have a very good dinner if you choose. I tried to do a calender day and it was tough for me because all day I knew I was fasting, but the 24 hour cycle I know that I am eating that night.

Just a different way to create a deficit. Some studies you can read about online also talk about alot of health benefits.

The book I read, stop, eat. stop also talks about the science behind it and why it works, and debunks alot of the myths out there.

It may seem tough, but after you do it you realize there are days you have done it by mistake. Once you realize when you are actually hungry compared to eating beacuse you are really just thirsty, or bored, or because the clock says we are supposed to eat, it gets pretty easy. Metabolism doesnt start to slow until you fast for 70+ hours so you dont really run that riks.

To speed things up for myself I eat actually 200-500 below my maintain weight on 3 of the feast days, an dusually saturday I eat my maintain.

Today is my feast day, and I am finding it difficult to find enough calories to eat once I planned my day!
  • maedchen13
    Options
    Thank you. I've heard of this before didn't know of anyone that actually tried it. I think I can do this. I'm going to try it next week.
  • thavoice
    Options
    Thank you. I've heard of this before didn't know of anyone that actually tried it. I think I can do this. I'm going to try it next week.
    Your welcome.

There are diff ways about it, just gotta find what works for you.
    Personally I LOVE the 24 hour cycle. For instance, on Wed I was getting hungry during the day, but knowing in 3-4 hours I could eat pretty much what I wanted was a HUGE mental lift, and lets face it, losing weight is as much mental as anything.
    So for dinner I had a meal that was 800-900 calories, and today I know I have 1500 calories to eat which is very doable.

Just dont go on the binge before, or after the fast. Stay within your calories.
    I track my calories two diff ways.....1 is per calender day, and the other is per CYCLE (up/feat day, down/fast day). The 24 hour fast is what really gets you ahead and the body kicks in gear in hours 16-24..and 6-8 hours of the fast is when you are sleeping.

Just another way to create a deficit, but you dont have to be so restrictive every day. After a couple of weeks you start to really enjoy it and find taht even your feast days you are having a tough time eating enough to get to your maitiain
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 15 pounds by the wedding as a mini weight goal. Aren't we supposed to be making goals?? I wanted to make a small goal (for example lose the first 25 pounds) then move on to the next goal. I have a lot of weight to lose and I'm in the mind set that this is how my life is going to be where I'm going to diet and exercise. That I'm not going to eat over my calories. And I have been normally walking every night for 30-45 minutes. I just wanted to know if it was do able. To gain some CONFIDENCE that I could actually do it.

You can do it :):flowerforyou: