Exercise you dont "count"

Options

Replies

• doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    If its something I don't do on an everyday basis, I count it. I don't do laundry every day and I do six loads on Sunday. I log that because I am burning extra energy and need more food to account for it. If you don't eat enough it can affect the way you lose weight just as much as eating too much. I log shoveling snow but I don't log grocery shopping or sex. I don't judge anyone for logging things i wouldn't normally log because if they are set at sedentary they are eating a really low amount of calories and if they clean one day a week, they will be hungry from burning those extra calories and I would want an extra snack too if it was me. :bigsmile:
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't count Juggling with chainsaws.

Do you log lost limbs though?

That's totally weight loss! I'd log it!

lmao

Yes but he probably needs fewer calories now too :P
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I usually only count the cardiovascular stuff I do as a specific workout, such as running, elliptical, walking, or Zumba. In the winter, I did count shoveling snow several times as it was a lot of work and I worked up a sweat.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I only count stuff I am doing that I wasn't doing while I was getting fat...

I gardened, I walked stairs at work, I did housework etc. while I was getting fat...

So I count my weight lifting and HIIT...

^^THIS^^
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    Cougar hunting.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Nope, though I might eat an extra pie or three if I have been lifting heavy boxes all day as part of an office move or if I have washed all my windows inside and out.

Though I should probably log the maritals, it is much more acrobatic than it used to be. One of the benefits of getting fitter is being able to use a mini trampoline in the bedroom.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I only log stuff that's outside my normal daily activity- so even if I was to walk about the mall for 2 hours- I'd log is as leisurely walking for probably an hour. It's not "exercise" but it's more than what I normally do - so it gets logged.

Heavy cleaning- heavy gardening- any semi labor intensive thing that's more than a couple min chore (like helping my BF work on my bike- I had to wrestle the bike for about 10 minutes- but that was it- didn't' log it- still got huffy.

so anything sustained and outside the norm for me.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I only count my weight training, runs & yoga. Everything else I consider my life.

Ditto (except, sub spinning for yoga). :happy:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    sex... *kitten*... lifting food with a fork... squatting to the toilet
  • WonderWoman_5
    WonderWoman_5 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do plenty of activity that I don't count, but I see others doing so.
    Mine include . . .
    Housework
    Parking far away from destinations
    Climbing stairs at work
    All the walking I do at work
    Yardwork

What are yours?

Actually, you do probably count it...in your overall activity level which is where you should account for it.

I was assuming the OP meant like how some people count housework as workouts.

Two points - First, it is no one's business what someone else counts as a workout. Second, how do you know that particular activity is not a workout for that person? This is one reason why folks keep their diaries closed.

I agree
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    pooing

peeing

lifting my fork to my mouth

swallowing

I'm missing out on so many activities!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I only count my weight training, runs & yoga. Everything else I consider my life.
    Ditto. Unless those rare, once every couple of months deep cleanings I give my house & yard (spring, fall) that takes hours and is a workout in and of itself. But even then I will only log it for 80% of the total time to make sure I don't over estimate calories burned.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I don't log sexual activity especially since my wife told me if I wore the heartrate monitor to bed she'd cut it off.

I don't log moving around my office or any heavy lifting of stuff at work. I do log my lunchtime walk (2 1/2 miles) however..
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I don't log sexual activity especially since my wife told me if I wore the heartrate monitor to bed she'd cut it off.

I don't log moving around my office or any heavy lifting of stuff at work. I do log my lunchtime walk (2 1/2 miles) however..

the heartrate monitor or...
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I log most stuff that makes me sweat for a sustained period of time. Or stuff that is really out of my ordinary routine.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method - I count any actual exercise as 2 calories to track it but that's it.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I only count the gym, and even that i forget to log. Hikes, swimming and walking the dog are things I don't include because they are things I have always done. I gained my weight doing all of that stuff so I find no reason to include it, its more just a part of my life. Now cleaning the garage this weekend should provide a great burn but probably won't log that even.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The only thing I log as exercise is actual workouts, strength training and shoveling snow. It was a crazy Winter around here this year....lol.
  • missemmamm
    missemmamm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also agree that people should log what is right for them. Is it hurting you if someone you're friends with logs cooking? No.

I do not count the walking that I do when I'm at school (there are classes on different floors).
    I also don't count walking I do when I'm running errands to stores (& parking further away in the lot).
    I don't count regular chores, ex. laundry that I do a couple of times a week.

I do count heavy duty organizing/cleaning because I don't do it regularly.
    I did count walking during a trip to a mall a few weeks ago because we were there for four hours so it was unusual to my lifestyle.
    I do count sex, lol, right now because it's a long distance relationship. (Oh & I joined MFP early this year to lose weight. I can tell you though that even before I counted anything that when I'm getting it on the regular I'm thinner. I go all out. lol. It's a workout for me & my partner.) Someone asked about calories burned during sex. I've read 200-400 per hour. I can't remember what I have it at in my log right now though. When my man is able to move back to town I will up my regular daily activity level instead.

If I were to do the other above things regularly I wouldn't track them as exercises but I would change my MFP profile to indicate a more active lifestyle. Right now my profile is set on Lightly Active. If I were to do other things more regularly I'd change it to active.

I track my exercise to make sure I do it (lol) but have been trying not to eat the calories back. However after reading different threads & hitting my goal I may be changing that a bit.

P.S. I am poor. I do not have a FitBit, Jawbone, etc. I do have a pedometer watch that I use when I walk. I tried using it for other activities but I can tell it's not tracking them accurately because I'll be drenched in sweat, have exercised an hour & it'll say 40 calories.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Anything I would have to replace if I stopped, I count. This way I have an accurate picture of the level of activity I have. So if I stopped parking in the back of the parking lot, I would probably not have to replace that, so I don't log it. I wear a fitbit everyday, so it kind of adjusts that stuff for me. The last two days were state exam testing days and I walked an extra 4 miles in my classroom monitoring the students. I "counted" that.