Do you enjoy subway?

Options
Is it pretty healthy? Not just cal wise. I tend to eat it about 3 times a week.

I either eat the turkey, tom, lettuce, onion, and sweet onion sauce on wheat bread (320 cal) or when I have the cals I will have the roast beef, lettuce , tom, light mayo on wheat (470). Sometimes a bag of baked chips.

I do this during the week when I am working if I am tired of grilled chicken and cauliflower. Its reasonable and the best "fast food" I can think of. BTW all 6 inches

Replies

• RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'll eat it now and then. Especially when the wife wants to eat out somewhere Subway is a relatively safe choice.

FYI, I am in the "if it fits in your daily allotted calories then why not" camp.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Healthy is as healthy does.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider "healthy."

It is absolutely somewhere you can get a reasonably low-cal meal with a decent amount of fresh veggies and protein, if you do it right. Their food also tends to be loaded with sodium and there's a good bit of preservatives in it. If you consider heavy sodium and preservative contents in your food "unhealthy," then it may not be the best choice for you.

Personally, I think it's fine in moderation (like nearly every other food item), and it's on my list if for some reason I wasn't able to bring my lunch and I need to grab something quick that fits my day.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Not really--their meat is kind of... Icky. I do, however, enjoy a nice sub from a good deli. I'd rather eat one of those fat boys once a month than have a Subway once a week.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg white american cheese flat bread loaded with veggies 2 mornings a week. Since I have a history of high blood pressure and heart disease in my family, I have to track my sodium, so I make sure that on days I have subway, I keep my other processed and higher sodium foods to a minimum.

So far, so good.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I hate subway, only had it once but it was my own fault for getting over excited about all the toppings I could have and had practically everything in one sub! Now even the smell makes me gag. Just as well really because I reckon if I liked them it would be a daily temptation as I live close by to one!
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Nope. Can't stand the taste, all I can taste is salt. The bread is too stodgy/soft for my liking and the veggys are the saddest looking things I've ever seen in a food shop. But plenty of people do like it.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't like Subway because I am a bread snob. The bread they have leaves me dissatisfied. It's a great choice if you are on the run and need something fast-foodish that fits into your cals for the day though.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love Subway! But I don't like you now because this thread has made me crave Subway and I'm broke.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love them but I make my own with quorn balls and a low cal tomato and chilli sauce.

mostly because if I went to the shop I would have to take the munchkin and by the time I got to eat it is would be stone cold and disappointing.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I eat a footlong nearly everyday, sure it can be quite a lot of calories, but its calories well spent, if fact I lost about 120 pounds on a subway diet.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i love subway too because you can choose what you want in your sandwich which is rare elsewhere (e.g. Pret a manger, mcdonalds) and its cheaper than those mentioned. Ingredients are fresh as well which count a lot. its also moderate in kcals, 6inch sub around 359kcal.

i love italian bmt with honey oat bread, with cheese and light mayo.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't think Subway is a healthy choice because of all the additives someone mentioned. But if you're just concerned with calorie intake, they have good options.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy Subway! Actually, I just had a 6'' veggie delite on wheat with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, pickles, green peppers, black pepper, and sweet onion sauce. It was delicious. :bigsmile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I eat it occasionally. The sodium is high so you have to watch out for water retention. Also I don't find it to be particularly filling. But yeah - when I need a quick meal that isn't high in calories it is a good option.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I plan to enjoy Subway this evening!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it in... it's great.

Having the option to eat there, or take it to eat out, is also rather nice.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    I like Subway. Its a healthy alternative to fast food IF YOU DONT GET CRAP ON IT!!! This is so huge. People get cheesy bread, cheese, extra sauce and are shocked by the calories. Keep it smart and lean!