How do I fit in 2300 cals/day of healthy food?!

Options
Hello all! I'm new to MFP and I've been tracking my food for only a couple of days now. I'm already struggling... but only because I need to eat 2300 calories a day! I'm not sure how to do this EVERY SINGLE DAY without adding in unhealthy food at some point.

2300 cals/day is my 1000/day deficit. I'm a very tall (6 ft) very heavy (400 lbs) girl, so my calories needed are a bit higher than most, I've noticed.

In order to eat 2300 calories of healthy food each day, I feel like I am eating SO much food all day long! I'm just not hungry enough to eat that much, but I know I need to to avoid starvation mode. I was constantly watching the clock today to see how long it's been since I last ate, when I need to eat again, what to eat and how much, just to make sure I got it all in. I'm used to doing this for other diets I've tried (and failed at) but never for this many calories.

HELP! :)

My question for those of you who also need to eat a lot each day is, how do you do it? What do you eat? Any favorite high-calorie healthy meal/recipe ideas? Does it get easier to eat that much the longer you do it? Any help or motivation is much appreciated!

Replies

• southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, almond butter, almonds, cashews, avocados, brown rice, whole wheat pasta to name a few things you could eat. Add coconut or olive oil to food when you cook.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2300 cals/day, and I'm a 6' female at 175 lbs. I don't have a problem with it though. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack! I eat things like greek yogurt, cheese etc. Feel free to friend me if you want, but I also have an open diary so you can take a look!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It's really not that hard. I'm at 2,000 a day (and sometimes eat more). My diary is open if you want to look. I don't intentionally eat low carb, but I notice that's the route I usually end up going. I crave the meat. I lift heavy, too, so I'm ok with a higher protein consumption. They key is calorie-dense foods like nuts, avocado, cheese, etc.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Repeating what's said above. You also don't need to just eat "healthy" foods. Everything in moderation if you're trying to make a lifestyle change.

Peanut butter is calorie packed and filling, and you can combine it with a variety of veggies and fruits to make a snack. Or, you could also drink your calories in the form of smoothies; I use 1-2 bananas (depending on how hungry I am), with some strawberries, blueberries, and yogurt in a blender.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mind your macros! They are there for a reason. Just adding fat is not eating clean - good fats yes but it still needs to be controlled within the recommendations.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as unhealthy and healthy foods. Just eat a balanced diet and make sure to get in your fruits, and veggies. On the dalieeeeeeeeeee.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi there!!!! I will say the best thing you can do is pre plan. I try and log my food (as much as I know) in advance usually the night

before or during my morning coffee. You can lay out all your meals then add in some snacks to bring up your calories. I think you

can add quite a few calories with peanut butter, cheese, a glass of milk/chocolate milk/protein shake.. Obviously use common sense

as to the source of the calories but I think you'll find it's doable. I also think right now you are just starting the habit of logging so

focus on that. Your diet will be constantly tweaked along the way so if you can get into the habit of logging you've won half the

battle. good luck and friend me if you'd like :flowerforyou:

Ang
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    As stated above, naturally fat-rich foods will help get you up to 2300. Even so, if you're full after eating 2000, why push yourself to 2300? You certainly won't go into starvation mode unless you are literally starving yourself.

Good luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the idea that you only need to eat "healthy" food. What does that even mean? Food is just food, and food is good for you. Some foods give you more nutritional "bang for your buck" than others, but unless you're eating lard by the ice cream scoop and topping it with cupfuls of sugar, you can eat whatever you want.

Using MFP, all you have to do is eat less of whatever you were eating before. Instead of radically changing everything about how you eat, which is not sustainable and will make you insane, just eat smaller portions of what you used to eat. Stick to your 2300 calorie goal, which is absolutely reasonable given your current weight, and you WILL lose weight. (Barring any other medical issues that would change the game for you). You can make little adjustments later, like swapping chips for a vegetable sometimes. But you don't have to worry about that now. Eat 2300 calories of whatever you were eating before, every day, for a month. That will get your weight loss started. Simple as that!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fat. Per gram it has more than twice the calories of carbs or protein, so don't fear it if you have the calories to spare. Nuts and seeds are a great source of fat.

Make or buy salad dressings with olive oil. Cook your food with a bit of fat. Have wholemeal toast with peanut butter or butter (or both). Add peanut butter (or whatever nut butter you prefer) to oatmeal or smoothies.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You could just add nuts, oils and flaxseed meal to your salads, take your dairy full fat and enjoy the cheeeeeeese!! Cheese tastes amazing in almost any dish and hard cheeses have quite a bit of protein. If you're struggling with quantities, you most likely eat mostly low fat and fiber carbs like veggies. Don't stop! veggies are amazing! you just have to tweak them up a bit with more calorie dense things. Also, if it does not trigger loss of control, feel free to eat some of the things you used to eat, even if they're labeled "unhealthy".. anything other than arsenic is healthy in moderation, as long as it's wrapped up in an overall nutrient dense diet.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you ate at least that much before
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    That sounds so fun. :)
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My husband needs to lose a lot and he found out once he gave up the junk food, he really didn't eat that much. So, he doesn't come close to his calorie goal, but he's not hungry, so there's no reason to eat. With all the extra weight you have, I highly doubt that you will go into starvation mode, just eat till you're full and stop.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I would cut it down to to 2000/1800. I'm a big girl too and I think if you feel full enough on 2000, try that. Still full, try 1800. Then know, if some days you do go a little over, oh well, you are still within what MFP says you should be. Otherwise, you can do what everyone else says, use full fat Ranch, eat nuts, bacon, peanut butter... Cheese, all that adds up really quick and is very yummy.
  • BetchaBetsy
    Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You don't have to aim for 100% 'healthy' food. You want to eat plenty of protein, fruits & veggies, whole grains, healthy fats. Since you have a higher calorie goal you don't necessarily need to use a lot of low fat/fat free alternatives. Eat nuts, regular cheese/dairy, cook with olive oil, etc.

Ps-Have you consulted w/ a doctor? I've always read its safe to aim for 2 pounds or 1% of your body weight per week. You may be able to safely aim a little higher, since you have so much to lose.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    you have a wide range of calories thats not hard at all :0 actually the same amount i eat most of the time is like 2390
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Two well slathered peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will set you back anywhere from 800 to 100 calories alone. Love meh sum PBJ's!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would cut it down to to 2000/1800. I'm a big girl too and I think if you feel full enough on 2000, try that. Still full, try 1800. Then know, if some days you do go a little over, oh well, you are still within what MFP says you should be. Otherwise, you can do what everyone else says, use full fat Ranch, eat nuts, bacon, peanut butter... Cheese, all that adds up really quick and is very yummy.
    No that's what I eat and I am way shorter and weigh a lot less and lift heavy.

Calories are to fuel the body and the OP needs those calories to fuel her body. She is taller and heavier than most women so you can't apply those numbers.

OP healthy is good, try to follow the 80/20 rule...80% falls under nutritious...ie veggies, protien and healthy fats like olive oil, avocadeos etc. The other 20% chocolate, ice cream, cookies etc.

To the OP I have an idea...pizza...

ETA: milkshakes, ice cream full fat milk and cheese...etc.